Sigma DC coating

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubbyislander

Jan 15, 2007
Hello guys,
i am considering the sigma 24-70 ex dg lens...
but i have heard people saying that the EX coating is either prone to fungus or it is not long lasting (easy to peel off)

does anyone have any testimony about this lens?

Hello guys,
i am considering the sigma 24-70 ex dg lens...
but i have heard people saying that the EX coating is either prone to fungus or it is not long lasting (easy to peel off)

does anyone have any testimony about this lens?
they are refering to the lens barrel (aka case)... not the coating on the glass elements...
as for DC coating? i only know DG coating... in Sigma term, 'DC' refers to digital cam (iirc)

oh my apologies..
thanks for clarifying..

so, when brands talk about coating...its referring the lens barrel..

oh my apologies..
thanks for clarifying..

so, when brands talk about coating...its referring the lens barrel..

No... generally it is refering to coating on the lens or internal coating to prevent internal reflections.

Only Sigma EX refers to their so-call special external coating.

Check here for notations for Sigma lenses:
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/popup.asp

BC

The EX is a series of lens made by Sigma which is considered its higher range. Like the L lens of Canon. To differentiate the EX series from the rest of the consumer lens, Sigma uses a logo with the word EX on it and coats the barrel of the lens with a velvety, rubbery surface. When a EX lens is new, the coating gives a good grip to the lens (subjective). However, after some years of usage and basic wear and tear, the coating will start to peel off revealing the smooth lens barrel below. Some EX coating seems to be very prone to peeling.
:)

i am beginning to see the idea now.......
of the coating comes off..it just affects the appearance...
i see i see
*lightbulb*
thanks to all the sifus

Status
Not open for further replies.