Sigma D200 Lens Compatibility Advisory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerstorer

Jul 8, 2002
Sigma Corporation has acknowledged that some of their lenses might not operate properly with the AF-On function on the D200. Acceptance of repairs will begin in the new work year starting from Jan 6 2006.

Read it HERE

Pretty prompt action by sigma on this issue.:thumbsup:

Notice to end-users using Sigma's HSM equipped lens with Nikon D200 camera
To our valued customers,

AF function of our HSM equipped lenses do not operate when "AF operation button" on the back of the body of Nikon "D200" digital SLR camera (recently introduced to the market by Nikon) is used. This problem is caused due to a firmware "bug" of our HSM equipped lenses.

We deeply regret any inconvenience this may cause our customers who own D200 camera and we are committed to making this situation right. In this respect, we will start updating firmware of these lenses free of charge today.

Please also note that if "shutter button" is used for AF operation of HSM equipped lenses, camera and lens combination works without any problem.

This problem occurs with HSM equipped lenses only. Non-HSM models of Sigma lenses function properly with D200 camera.
List of HSM equipped lenses require update for D200 camera

Fixed Focal Length Lenses

14mm F2.8 EX ASPHERICAL HSM
30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM
APO MACRO 150mm F2.8 EX DG HSM
APO MACRO 180mm F3.5 EX HSM / APO MACRO 180mm F3.5 EX DG HSM
APO 300mm F2.8 EX HSM / APO 300mm F2.8 EX DG HSM
APO 500mm F4.5 EX HSM / APO 500mm F4.5 EX DG HSM
APO 800mm F5.6 EX HSM / APO 800mm F5.6 EX DG HSM

Zoom Lenses

10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG ASPHERICAL HSM
17-35mm F2.8-4 EX DG ASPHERICAL HSM
APO 50-500mm F 4-6.3 EX HSM / APO 50-500mm F 4-6.3 EX DG HSM
APO 70-200mm F 2.8 EX HSM / APO 70-200mm F 2.8 EX DG HSM
APO 100-300mm F4 EX HSM / APO 100-300mm F 4 EX DG HSM
APO 120-300mm F 2.8 EX HSM / APO 120-300mm F 2.8 EX DG HSM
APO 300-800mm F 5.6 EX HSM / APO 300-800mm F 5.6 EX DG HSM

For further information, please contact to nearest authorized Sigma Service Station.

http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/network/index.htm

Seriously, is there a use for the AF-On button at the back? Usually I'd AF-C or pump the shutter. I think that's more natural and faster than using the thumb. Or am i missing something? Solly, don't really shoot a lot so dun know much abt this. Thanks. :)

2100 said:
Seriously, is there a use for the AF-On button at the back? Usually I'd AF-C or pump the shutter. I think that's more natural and faster than using the thumb. Or am i missing something? Solly, don't really shoot a lot so dun know much abt this. Thanks. :)
Wah PRO comment :thumbsup:

I must go jot down.

2100 said:

Not everyone will have a use for it, but its good for taking multiple bursts of shots at a single focus point without the focus being shifted.

Zerstorer said:
Not everyone will have a use for it, but its good for taking multiple bursts of shots at a single focus point without the focus being shifted.
I see. Usually I'd pump half-press because I am quite paranoid about taking an OOF pix esp with shallow DOF type of shots. So multiple bursts are usually re-AFed, I take it as AF bracketing. Guess not everyone will have a use for it.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0512/05122201sigmahsmd200.asp

Sigma has confirmed that there is an incompatibility issue between its HSM equipped lenses and the new Nikon D200. Specifically the HSM lenses do not operate when the 'AF-ON' button is pressed on the rear of the camera. This does not affect auto-focus carried out using the shutter release button (half-press). Sigma has stated that this is due to a firmware bug in the lens itself and will soon be introducing a free of charge firmware update for affected lenses.
Press Release:
Notice to end users of Sigma’s HSM equipped lenses with
the Nikon D200 Camera

To our valued customers,

Sigma HSM equipped lenses do not operate when the "AF operation button" on the back of the body of Nikon "D200" digital SLR camera (recently introduced to the market by Nikon) is used. We have determined that this problem is caused by a firmware "bug" in our HSM equipped lenses.

We deeply regret any inconvenience this may cause our customers who own D200 cameras and we are committed to correcting this situation. We will start updating the firmware of these lenses free of charge in the near future.
Please also note that if the camera’s shutter button is used for AF operation of HSM equipped lenses, such camera and lens combination functions normally.

This problem occurs with HSM equipped lenses only. Non-HSM models of Sigma lenses function properly with the D200 camera.
Following is a list of HSM equipped lenses which would require an update for the D200 camera:

Just curius,

What happend if the lens is grey set? Bring back to the shop?

Regards,
Arto.

think everyone with sigma lenses should just bring in for upgrade when free.... whether or not they use D200.

offspring said:
firmware upgrade only lah, no change of chip. done it already

You done it in Sigma SG?
Just bring in the HSM lens will do and how long they took?

Status
Not open for further replies.