Sigma 8-16mm?

oyama85

Dec 29, 2006
Hi, I cant find much info regarding this Sigma 8-16mm lens, I guess its still pretty new.

Found only 1 review at http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/515-sigma816f4556apsc
And theres not much sample pics from Flickr.

Got a quote from SLR at $1102 (can update the Pentax pricelist maybe?)

Anyone got any comments about this lens?
Also, will it be weird to get this, if I already have a 10-17mm fisheye?
Its a whole different purpose lens right? (Just tryin to tell myself its ok to consider it, even though the range are similar lol)

Sample comparison done by smoothtrooper1 in Flickr.
Top Left: Nikon 12-24mm
Top Right: Sigma 8-16mm
Bottom Left: Nikon 10.5mm
Bottom Right: Nikon 10.5mm with Fisheye Hemi filter
4610308896_6628ca7492_b.jpg

1 more from a David Yeo
4567415545_3dd308e21a.jpg

Last edited:
The lens was only announced last month on 23 April 2010 so don't hope for many reviews.

Since you're keen on it, why not be the first to review it for Pentax mount?
As you mentioned you already have the DA 10-17mm, do you know the difference between a Rectilinear and Fish-eye lens?

Yea I know the difference of course haha.

Actually I was hoping someone else that may have got it (with Pentax mount), can share their experience instead before I make the jump lol.

I do noticed the 8-16mm starts at F4.5, unlike the other UWA available for Pentax which starts at F3.5-4, not that it makes any difference I guess.

Last edited:
From the photo you posted, can see a little vignetting or light falloff at the corners with the Sigma. Anyway there is no way to use any filters with the Sigma.

The pictures posted, don't seem to be the best examples. I can't comprehend what advantage it has given other than pushing everything further away. Maybe an interior shot that can show more might be more impressive.
Vignetting seems to be quite obvious.

Agree with the points you mentioned creampuff after viewing more samples.
Or would you guys stick to the DA12-24/Tamron10-24/Sigma10-20 if you are looking for a UWA?

Other sample pics - http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=sigma+8-16mm

Last edited: