Sigma 8-16 HSM for Pentax

epileatheral

Dec 4, 2008
Hi guys,
Anyone got this lens? I read that it's a HSM only lens, and it only works for Pentax camera with SDM support. Is that true?

Then, how about the older Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Lens. What I heard is for this lens, the HSM doesn't function for Pentax.. and it's only for Canon/Nikon mounts.

Can someone enlighten me? I'm confused. The downside is, the shops here don't carry the lens and I can't test them out. All need special order..

Hi guys,
Anyone got this lens? I read that it's a HSM only lens, and it only works for Pentax camera with SDM support. Is that true?

Then, how about the older Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Lens. What I heard is for this lens, the HSM doesn't function for Pentax.. and it's only for Canon/Nikon mounts.

Can someone enlighten me? I'm confused. The downside is, the shops here don't carry the lens and I can't test them out. All need special order..

I don't have these lenses, but from what I know:

1) yes 8-16 will only AF with SDM bodies, K10D or later models.
2) The Pentax mount version of the 10-20 will not have HSM, will AF using the usual screw-drive AF.

I have this lens. Yes, it's SDM only, does not take filters; it can take 72mm filters on the modified lens cap/cover, but with severe vignetting. In fact, at 8mm with this on, the image is circular so it's not really practical. Image quality is good, I think there is a previous thread on this lens within this forum with some HDB shots.

Thanks guys! I guess this is a good buy then.. with the SDM functionality.. and it's pretty cheap here in Malaysia.

the cheapest I found is RM2400.

I have this lens too. Its a very very sharp lens. Sharper than the 10-20 F3.5 IMHO (I had both). Main downside is the inability to put filters and the top end at 16mm is a little short for a walkaround lens. Great for taking buildings.

Hi all 8-16mm owner . Can help me do a test ? Ifyou guys hold the normal tianya sq filter in-front of the lens at 8mm , will the filter be wide enough to cover the entire FOV ?

Cos I believe the filter holder shouldn't be too difficult to DIY to fit the lens . But not sure if the normal sq filter is big enough to fill the FOV or need the bigger one

anyone ?