Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro or Canon EF 75-300 IS USM f4-5.6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elaphe

Jul 30, 2007
I've been looking at the sigma and canon telephoto lenses and I really want to get one of them!

I want to do nature photography and want a lens that can (ideally), for example, shoot a bird 20m away and insects close up.

So should I get the sigma or the canon? The sigma has the macro function, which obviously is a draw, but the canon has IS so presumably that will help a lot? Is it possible to shoot with the sigma at 300mm in moderate light conditions without using a tripod without exceedingly steady hands? And can the canon take macro shots without using an extender tube?

I think at this point it's a choice between a first-hand sigma and a second-hand canon without warranty. I'm leaning towards the canon at the moment, though, because the IS seems like a huge advantage.

Thank you!
elaphe

Personally I will recommand you save up abit and maybe get the 70-300mm IS Canon lens which is optically way better unless you just need a quick fix now. Shooting insects is probably not possible with both lens as their macro capability isnt that big. The Sigma probably can do better macro but no where enough to take insects unless you mean really huge ones. To take a picture in moderate light and using 300mm will require about 1/500 shutter which will probably require you to up the iso significantly. Its better to take the canon with the IS which can probably stop it down by 2 stops.

For me personally between the two probably the 75-300mm IS canon lens. In the end both dont really excel in macro so might as well get the one that is better at telephoto. If you can save up geting a 70-200mm F4l or 70-300mm IS will be a better choice.

For macro get a macro lens. The third parties and canon make pretty good macro lens that you can consider for insects.

I've tried the Sigma 70-300mm. Didn't like the IQ. Lousy at the tele-end. And I can't handle 300mm. No steady hands haha. I would strongly prefer the IS 70-300mm Canon. Tho I haven't use one be4. Just relating to u the experience I have with the Sigma one. Test them out. That's the best

Status
Not open for further replies.