Sigma 70-300mm F/4-5.6 APO DG Macro opinion needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobie

Jan 29, 2007
Thinking of completing my lenses with this tele zoom lens Sigma 70-300mm F/4-5.6 APO DG Macro. Any owner of this lens can give some comment? thk you.

The lens is good in daylight- af speed adequate, zoom more than sufficient. However, it is a weak performer in bad lighting. It tends to hunt a bit, especially when shooting indoor sports. Also, it is much too slow for indoor shooting. But if you want a first starter zoom lens for general shooting, i would recommend it.

The lens is good in daylight- af speed adequate, zoom more than sufficient. However, it is a weak performer in bad lighting. It tends to hunt a bit, especially when shooting indoor sports. Also, it is much too slow for indoor shooting. But if you want a first starter zoom lens for general shooting, i would recommend it.

So what would be a cheap and cheerful fast lens? I'm looking for a nice telephoto zoom for gigs..

This is a very nice lens. It's rather compact although it can zoom up to 300mm. Very good for outdoor shoot where lighting is better. Tends to hunt under low light condition as mention by bro king2penn.

Wow! so any other lens of the same league as this Sigma?

A real gem from Sigma, considered one of their real better lenses...scores over the Nikon(G) and Tamron in this range hands down....great value at a very low price...good for start up zoom on a budget. Cheers. :)

So what would be a cheap and cheerful fast lens? I'm looking for a nice telephoto zoom for gigs..

I don't think such a thing exists.

Anyway,

The 70-300mm Sigma DG APO lens is probably the best in its class at a very good price. I've got one and I love it. An excellent lens for bright sunny days, indoors will not be very good. Slow to focus, hunts, small max. aperture.

just got this lens 2 days ago, and i would say it's a great lens for it's price.. considering a newbie myself.. It's great to use though the auto-focus is abit slow..

This sigma is good for long distance macro (around 90cm??). 1:2 magnification is ok for 'not too small' thing like butterfly or dragonfly.

Regards,
Arto.

the thing i like about my sigma macro is that i dont have to get too near the subject because there's 300mm zoom. its not always that you can come shoulder to shoulder to subjects and the sigma lets me do that.

dsc2697mediumle6.jpg

i got this shot when i looked into a storm drain near my house, if not for the 300mm zoom, i wouldnt have been able to get so close.

nice shot there.. hmm are u on a tripod when u shot that?
when i zoom to 300mm.. the slightest hand shake seems to shake by quite abit, sometimes causing unsharp image..

I wanted to get that lens as it was cheaper than the 70-300mmVR.

but i heard about the vignetting.

maybe owners can shed some light on the sigma's vignetting?

i shot it without a tripod, you need a shutter speed of at least 1/200 prefably 1/350 to prevent handshake when you are full out at 300mm..

i've played around with the lens abit and ive found the lens to be pretty sharp at f/11 at 300mm. shooting at f/5.6 at 300mm is a big nono. pictures turn out all mushy.

dsc2786mediumxr8.jpg

dsc2831mediumvu2.jpg

dsc2822mediumpp0.jpg

ps: i think the image quality got junked by my windows resizer.

Good piece of len for its price.

Here are some sample shots taken with this lens:

300mm @ f9, 1/125s
400803270_02d31b1f0a.jpg
:

133mm @ f4.5, 1/200s(cropped)
448969261_bb1300c30b.jpg

Resolution is good at the 70mm to 200mm range but drop quite a bit towards the 300mm end.

Happy Buying and Shooting!!

i shot it without a tripod, you need a shutter speed of at least 1/200 prefably 1/350 to prevent handshake when you are full out at 300mm..

i've played around with the lens abit and ive found the lens to be pretty sharp at f/11 at 300mm. shooting at f/5.6 at 300mm is a big nono. pictures turn out all mushy.

dsc2786mediumxr8.jpg

dsc2831mediumvu2.jpg

dsc2822mediumpp0.jpg

ps: i think the image quality got junked by my windows resizer.

thanks will try it out @ f11 and see how it goes =)

hi i took this photo using this lens @ 195mm @ F5 on a D50 and i personally find the quality pretty good for the price. it all depends on light!

sigma_195mm.jpg

it is light, compact, cheap and provides zoom to 300mm so it really is a great bang for buck lens! tele-macro is a great bonus!

exactly man! light is the essence! shooting on a cloudy day is a bitch!

hi i took this photo using this lens @ 195mm @ F5 on a D50 and i personally find the quality pretty good for the price. it all depends on light!

sigma_195mm.jpg

it is light, compact, cheap and provides zoom to 300mm so it really is a great bang for buck lens! tele-macro is a great bonus!

PPed? Camera settings? Do you use the optimize image feature?

exactly man! light is the essence! shooting on a cloudy day is a bitch!

Exactly.. Photography is entirely about light, not so much about camera and lenses, they are just tools to help capture the light.

Status
Not open for further replies.