Sigma 70-300 mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhealk

Sep 15, 2006
Borneo
Hello ladies and gents.

A newbie here seeking for some opinion ...

Actually I was eyeing for a lens with 70-300mm and after browsing thru all the threads, I concluded Sigma 70-300mm is the user's choice here :thumbsup: (I also realized that 70-300 related topics have been discussed a few time here) :D Trying to avoid repeated discussion, I try to narrow down a bit my topic.

I was attracted to it, partially it's economic (boil down to the old issue - budget constrain) to buy and i can have more zoom. More often I take candid photos, lot and lots of event (anything happen in town or in company, indoor or outdoor) and sometimes I shoot wildlife from far, from house lizards, stray mad dogs to birds in the woods.

The issues which bothered me were:

1. They tend to get soft, esp after 200mm

2. lateral chromatic abberation and distortion after 200mm and above

Question is: If I buy it could this len help me to improve my photo? (I know the popular say here: good photos relies on the person behind the camera- but I always scare away the animals (and shy human) when I get near them) :D

I can't try it out at my place here coz I'm in a small town and the shops here didn't keep stock for slow flow goods. And I only can do is to rely on other user's experience.

So I hope to hear some comment from all the pro, sifu, amatuer and photo enthusiast about it. :bigeyes:

CurrentlyI have two options:
1. Buy and try to make a good use of it, and become one with it

2. Save the money and opt for a better product.

I prefer the 1st coz -- since it can have same function with the better product which is more expensive but with less convenience, why not I adopt myself to master it instead of spend more money. However the question in my head now is - is it possible to overcome those 'disadvantages' of this lens? :dunno:

Pls advise

D70s

18-70

if for nikon or canon mount this is not a good lens from both of them ...
use in canon. no IS.

if like me use in minolta camera (camera AS).. this is a cheep and value lens.. because have 1 more function marco compare with my own brand lens KM 70-300mm F4.5 - 5.6

==
Yes, this lens after 200mm picture will go soft..
example
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=225656
picture 1 = 300mm, F8 , picture 2 < 300mm , F5.6

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=221422
picture just resize, didn't do any thing.
=====

Personal Advice
** Take out **

The Sigma 70-300 is a stellar lens. IMO it's the best of the 70-300 consumer zooms as the IQ is indeed very very good considering the amount you pay for it. Even wide open it's solid past 200mm, but interestingly enough only until ~270mm. Beyond that you'd need to stop it down 1 to get the sharpness back. This works the same for 70mm. I used to use it like a 90-270mm zoom. Anyhow, this was for the non-dg version that I used while travelling. I still pick up one whenever I travel because of the compact size. The DG version might have fixed this "problem", but really, it hardly is one.

Pick up one, you wont regret it. IMO it beats the Canon ones of the same price range flat out. I would even say the IQ is comparable to the 70-300 IS version(which costs A LOT MORE). I'm prepared to be shot down for saying that.

Downsides of this lens compared to the Canon equivalents(im a C user, so i shant speak about N lenses) is the lack of USM, which really doesn't matter if you don't use it for sports. It's really only half a second difference at most. If you have a professional body or a Nikon body it wont matter because nikon bodies mechanically drive lenses in the case of Nikon and focus occurs extremely fast anyway(even on afd motor lenses) in the case of a 1-series body.

I say again, pick up one, you wont regret it, not because of image quality anyway.

Here's an old sample which I keep using because I only use this lens on holidays and I haven't had one for quite some time now! So well, here's a sample wide open at 270mm/f5.6. Scanned from neg film.

RedPanda2.jpg

good stuff for good price. more solid built as compared to lens in that price range.

if for nikon or canon mount this is not a good lens from both of them ...
use in canon. no IS.

if like me use in minolta camera (camera AS).. this is a cheep and value lens.. because have 1 more function marco compare with my own brand lens KM 70-300mm F4.5 - 5.6

==
Yes, this lens after 200mm picture will go soft..
example
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=225656
picture 1 = 300mm, F8 , picture 2 < 300mm , F5.6

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=221422
picture just resize, didn't do any thing.
=====

Personal Advice
** Take out **

Oh.. wow.. nice shoots man! Thanks for sharing. So does it means it's not very ngam with nikon but still acceptable??
Err.. soory for the ignorant but what is '(camera AS)'? :D

Stoned,

Downsides of this lens compared to the Canon equivalents(im a C user, so i shant speak about N lenses) is the lack of USM, which really doesn't matter if you don't use it for sports. It's really only half a second difference at most. If you have a professional body or a Nikon body it wont matter because nikon bodies mechanically drive lenses in the case of Nikon and focus occurs extremely fast anyway(even on afd motor lenses) in the case of a 1-series body.

I say again, pick up one, you wont regret it, not because of image quality anyway.

Wah, another breathtaking pic... she / he's it's so cute!!
Is it I can obtain same result if I mount it on my D70s? (No difference in image between digital & film?) :dunno:

Thanks!

In my opinion, this lens is worth buying .... cheap and good.
I own one and I am pretty comfortable with it .... considering the price I paid.
I believe you will not regret it ..... have fun ;)

I agree. I used to have this lens before upgrading. This lens is really a value for money. :thumbsup:

Sorry , just short cut the word. Camera build in Anti-shake (AS) Minolta D5D / D7D.

Same as Canon Lens build in (IS). so with minolta body + this lens really +++ point.

i am also very tempted to get this lens for my nikon d70s. i have an exact same lens for minolta mount (for film though) but too bad i switch to nikon for digital so cannot use now.

basically this lens is not a very very good lens, but i would say a most value for money lens. you get what you pay. for me budget is a constrain for now.

i understand that ms colour is selling this piece for $320/$330. anyone knows a place cheaper?

i am also very tempted to get this lens for my nikon d70s. i have an exact same lens for minolta mount (for film though) but too bad i switch to nikon for digital so cannot use now.

basically this lens is not a very very good lens, but i would say a most value for money lens. you get what you pay. for me budget is a constrain for now.

i understand that ms colour is selling this piece for $320/$330. anyone knows a place cheaper?

b&s cheaper too...

Saw one at bNs going for about $280. I have the older non-dg model for my D70 and works sufficiently well.

I dun have the lens but I have the Sigma 70 to 200 F2.8 Macro lens. Wonderful colour rendition. Not sure whether comparable or not.

I dun have the lens but I have the Sigma 70 to 200 F2.8 Macro lens. Wonderful colour rendition. Not sure whether comparable or not.

thats a f/2.8 lens. the sigma 70-300 is f/4-5.6.

think not comparable lah. I have the canon 70-200 f2.8 IS and the sigma 70-300. The 70-200 color is better and even if i add on a 1.4TC, it's still sharper than the 70-300. But the 70-300 is really value for money.

It's probably a day lens. Meaning when the sun goes down, it'll go into the bag unless u use flash.

Thanks guys and gals for all your valuable opinion and comment.

Jz got my D70s yesterday and the kit lens came along really not good enough for me. I want to zoom zoom and zoooommmmmmmm so I think so far my conclusion is I will bought it, since it was said as 'value buy'.

Yup, I think I pretty agree with midicity that this is a day len. Provided with my skill now, even the kit len of D70s (18-70mm) already nearly become 'day len' liao! Huh, it's nearly as half lifeless if without SB 800, esp indoor.

Thanks to you janzguy81 for the sharing. Oh, you make me feel like want to go to zoo right now (I like your sexy bear..). I tried with my cat this morning but seems like my cat shall live in the zoo with the monkeys..

One more issue... if (did you saw the word IF here) I can't get any Sigma 70-300mm, can I get it in Nikon's brand? Well, I'm in a small town where people look at you with very very VERY funny look when you ask for a zoom lens like 70-300mm (actually they already look at you like that when you ask for a D70s, examine you from head to toe, esp if you're still in early twenties) and so far I only saw one 'bigger' camera shop here with a few ancient film lens and one AF Nikon 70-300mm. I doubt if the ppl here ever heard of 'Sigma'. So (after so much nagging) if I can't find Sigma here (poor me!) will Nikon AF 70-300 will do? :cry:

Not sure where are you located. However, you can buy it online or make a trip to singapore.

I got the latest DG version for $250 when I posted for it at the B&S forum. An advantage is that it has a macro function.

So far, I am happy with it. Once gotten it, I tried the macro function. Decide for yourself!

large.jpg

large.jpg

Well, my location is in Sibu (recognized as international foo chow ppl's HQ), Sarawak, Msia.
Any foo chow out there?

Oh, look Madmax, you have just gimme a sleepless night from your pics.. So tempting!:thumbsup:

Ok, thanks guys. I know what I want now. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.