Sigma 70-300 APO

Status
Not open for further replies.
:think:

why dont you try it out first? even though I say it's good for me, but you might feel differently.
unless it's OK for you to waste some money and time in buying then re-selling. ;)

Sometimes, when buying a lens, I also consider the resale value.
Last time I bought an EF55-200 at 340 and sold at 230 losing 30%
in three months. If you buy a dedicated macro lens at 600, you may
only lose 17% when you resale it at 500.

icestrike said:
yeah,sigma 70-300 APO DG macro is at a reasonable good price
tink i'm gonna get it soon with a canon close-up lens ;)
can't wait

Hello, is this sigma 60-300 APO DG macro same with sigma 70-300 Macro Super APO II?

If no, then market price $320, mentioned in this thread earlier is for which lense?
Thank you.

LENS said:
Hello, is this sigma 60-300 APO DG macro same with sigma 70-300 Macro Super APO II?

If no, then market price $320, mentioned in this thread earlier is for which lense?
Thank you.
I have Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO MACRO DG. There is an earlier version called 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO SUPER II.

The funny thing, on my Sigma (newest version DG), the manual still the old one (SUPER II). I think they only repackaging the SUPER II to DG one.

The price is around $320 (with GST). I got mine $330 (with GST, NIKON mount) from TCW.
Picture Quality is good, even best for that price. You can check some photos with this lens on my photo's gallery.

Regards,
Arto.

hmmmm i m eyeing this lens as well... read it on one of the photo magazine last month and has been toying the idea of buying it.... look like the time is near to get this good budget lens

LENS said:

Thank you.

Identical lens I think. But the DG version with new coating for preventing flare from CCD reflects, which i think is sth quite good to have on DSLR.

hafele said:
Identical lens I think. But the DG version with new coating for preventing flare from CCD reflects, which i think is sth quite good to have on DSLR.
Yes. If I am not wrong, Sigma website mentions this new coating on DG version. But many people doubt about it, they say it is likely marketing strategy to bring this old lens SIGMA 70-300mm APO MACRO SUPER II live again. But for safety, ask for DG version (same price mah...).

Be carefull, there is a SIGMA 70-300mm f/4-5.6 MACRO DG (non APO version), which is only 1 SLD element (APO version have 3 SLD elements on it), thus less quality but cheaper (of course...!). The only visible different between APO and non APO version is APO version have red ring near filter thread. And the weight is 5 grams less for non APO version.

Regards,
Arto.

Thanks for the reply, so I guess the newest DG version has no problem using on old SLR camera, right?

i kinda confused about 70-300.
Last time i saw the APO got gold ring, APO ll have red ring
Then this new DG APO version also have red ring.

so basically, APO ll and dg is the same lens?

Ya. APO Super II and DG are with red ring, same lens. Arto is correct, make sure u get the red ring one. Gold ring looks good but it's old version with not-so-good image quality. No ring is non-APO, not recommended.

:)

but guys, take note that the new DG is 20grams heavier than the APO MSII. so i doubt that its exactly the same.

The 1st edition - non-APO version (Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 DL Macro Super) - also features a red ring. The main significance is that the 1st edition only allows macro-distance close focusing at the 300mm zoom position. The newer version can start from 200mm onwards.

So the "red ring" symbol is not a distingusing feature for all the 3 lenses.

which brand has to best 70-300mm ?

gary wong said:
which brand has to best 70-300mm ?

good question:thumbsup:

has anybody made a comparison between this sigma 70-300mm APO DG and nikkor 70-300mm G ?:think:

ibnujang said:
good question:thumbsup:

has anybody made a comparison between this sigma 70-300mm APO DG and nikkor 70-300mm G ?:think:
If the price between them is not much different, I think the output quality is not much different also. Sometime it is true, more expensive will result on better output quality. Sigma have extra MACRO function (this is my reason why I choose Sigma over Nikkor), while Nikkor doesn't have.

Regards,
Arto.

anyone has used a close up filter for this sigma lense?
I have used a hoya close up filter for my nikon 50mm lense, the result is quite bad..could it be i have used a big aperture?

Anyone got a pic that took with this sigma lense + close up filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.