Sigma 70-300 APO

Status
Not open for further replies.

helfizad

Jul 24, 2005
helfizad.multiply.com
guys wanna check if i can use my lens to take macro photography... if yes those into macro pls share some techniques thanks alot

yes you can, but it is not life size, so most probrably u need to use a close up filter or macro filter.

actually if money is not a problem, getting a dedicated macro lens is the best option....
i bought the sigma APO for its range and also for macro... but found that its macro capabilities is not really there....

i've been using this lens for several months now. it's a good ranged tele lens with additional macro as a bonus.

I think it's quite a good lens for the price. dun go comparing with the 70-200/2.8 of course. they're worlds apart

icestrike said:
does it give a good macro shot plus a good zoom??
considering for canon body.
thank you :)

yes.. look at yanyewkay's macro shots of the butterflies. Took using his Sigma APO. It is a good buy :)

yanyewkay said:
i've been using this lens for several months now. it's a good ranged tele lens with additional macro as a bonus.

I think it's quite a good lens for the price. dun go comparing with the 70-200/2.8 of course. they're worlds apart

nice photo of butterflies... howvere try to take some small cartoons models, its dosent focus properly ,, dun mine sharing your set -up ist time taking macro.... trying out..

icestrike said:
wow,cool
whats da market price now for da sigma 70-300 ?

Abt $340. U can get a 2nd hand at abt $280.

depending on the sizes of your cartoon figures, the sigma I think most probably will meet your requirements. Most wingspans of butterflies I shoot are about 3-5 cm big.

My setup is just a D70 and sigma 70-300 APO II... sometimes with flash sometimes w/o.

If it doesn't focus properly, there are many reasons. you have to understand how your AF system works. Make sure also you are at least further than the minimum focusing distance. This lens has a min dist of 95cm in macro mode.

a dedicated macro lens is definitely recommended if you can afford it. For me, I'm just happy with my current setup. If you want really close up macros, you can tyr a reverse 50mm or just use the 50mm. It has a lightly better repro of 1.8 compared to 1:2 for the 70-300

concur with yewkay

I myself use the same lens, sigma 70-300 APO II, with 300D.
It serves me well.
the problem of focusing, can you elaborate further? did you get too close? like yewkay's pointed out, min focusing dist is .95m
If you need to get closer (in order to get larger image), you can always stack up a close-up filter. you can buy canon 500D or nikon 5T or 6T.

if you have issue about sharpness, try using tripod or monopod. handholding at 300mm is quite challenging, especially indoors; assuming you're shooting ur figurines indoor.

sample shots: http://photobucket.com/albums/v475/squalle008/SF050305/
all taken using 70-300 APO II, some of them with 500D CU, some were not. cant remember anymore. some handheld, some on monopod.

any more queries, you can put up here or just pm me. :)

now i'm interested in this lens
haha.. good price and work well for zoom and macro i suppose right?
but is there a macro filter for this lens?
if so,how much is it?

thank u

icestrike said:
now i'm interested in this lens
haha.. good price and work well for zoom and macro i suppose right?
but is there a macro filter for this lens?
if so,how much is it?

thank u

not sure abt nikon filters
the canon 500D for thread size of 58mm cost me in the vicinity of SGD 140, cant remember exactly.
nikon filters should be cheaper, but most of the times OOS

OT: squalle! you've got the 5 BAR Swordtail!! :bigeyes:

I remember i read the previous thread before, someone got the new one $300 to $310!

i guess it depends on the bargain and promotion at that time.

vbs1979 said:
Yewkay can sell you for that amt $300-$310 (JUST KIDDING):D

I got mine for $320 brand new from MS Color la...

Just to let you guys know. Nikon Mount

Status
Not open for further replies.