Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 shots

holyxiaoxin

Mar 18, 2011
Just got myself a new lens. Is this lens sharp enough? It's my first time buying a second hand lens ><

8575402598_2dbc95e27b_c.jpg

8574309679_19c2660f8a_c.jpg

8575403652_e26ca3f61d_c.jpg

8575405016_7f6bc29dd3_c.jpg

Thanks. :)

8575405822_c6b234c882_c.jpg

8574314365_a2ea77f44c_c.jpg

8574315459_4b4a35f520_c.jpg

8574935572_f63d69afb4_c.jpg

Some more reference shots, btw the autofocus of the lens tends to be out of focus sometimes, so i'm getting about 70% focused vs 30% out-of-focused shots.

I don't understand... do you find the lens sharp enough (yourself?), or do you suspect that the lens is faulty because it was not performing to your expectation?

As to the lens tends to be out of focus sometime might be because of your own technique and not the lens' problem. If you are shooting at moving subject at a shallow DOF, when that subject was out of the plane, of course you get out of focus shot.

As Rhino pointed out, Sharpness is decided by the user him/herself. Each person's acceptable sharpness differs. The OOF may also be user technique problem. If it's the user technique problem, even with the 'original' 70-200 f2.8 also will get oof.

all the ref pics looks sharp though (websize).

Sharp meaning, as compared to the same lens. I'm just hoping that I won't bump into a lens that's faulty, and then if I want to sell it off I can't. ><

As the stage lights are often blue, purple, green and all sorts of colour other than white, is there any white balance settings that can compensate for the random change of lighting colours? :/

As the stage lights are often blue, purple, green and all sorts of colour other than white, is there any white balance settings that can compensate for the random change of lighting colours? :/

Shoot in black and white. All fixed.

The colored lights add the the feel of the shots, providing a viewer with more of the mood that was there. Why try to remove it?

Last edited:

Nothing you can do in camera. You can try adjusting the individual channels in post but it's not worth the time.

Last edited:

What I do is, get the WB of the stage before any of those coloured lights are on, use this shot as the base for your "true" white. Then set the custom WB based on this shot. After the CWB, just continue to shoot as per normal..

And shoot in raw, and should there be any changes to the WB, just adjust the first one, then mass apply to the rest (can be done pretty quickly in LR, Sync all). This should get you closer to what you see....

Sharp meaning, as compared to the same lens. I'm just hoping that I won't bump into a lens that's faulty, and then if I want to sell it off I can't. ><

Again... nobody know for sure... bcos nobody know what setting you are using, what is the environment those shots are taken in, what is the condition, etc... so nobody know if that lens is sharp enough, even if he/she had another copy of the lens. The only way to test is to mount the same camera on a sturdy tripod, then take two different copies of the same lens, mount them one by one to the test camera, took a couple of shots at the same target at a controlled environment, then you can tell if the lens you got is sharp enough... even then it is not really representative.

Frankly speaking... no.

You can shoot in RAW, then post process it like mentioned before.

Dear TS, in your quest to determine the sharpness of your purchase you have chosen a set of challenging conditions to test it. Try again in better light and use a tripod in order to eliminate the other main cause of blur images i.e. shaky hands. Good luck.

to me it look sharp here, maybe you can provide some with 100% corp pic.

btw Sigma 70-200 os? hsm? hsm ii?

btw i used a hsm ii b4 for quite sometime, it's acceptable at 2.8 but iq improve when stop down to 5.6 ~~~

Well can see individual strands of hair, looks pretty sharp, how 'sharp' you want..lol

Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II, i will post a 100% crop soon.

There are the 100% crop unedited photos.

8576243969_69ed8cc27b_c.jpg

8577345558_ee870bc49b_c.jpg

are there easier ways to obtained 100% cropped photos from lightroom4, than just crop using the boxes icon on the develop section, by guessing the 1:1 crop and then slowly adjust my cropping up to 1:1?

looks ok to me.