Sigma 55 - 200 mm F4.0 - F5.6 4/3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilmerlin

Jul 26, 2002
Woodlands
Anybody seen this before?

I'm contemplating between this and the Oly 40-150. Considering that both should be about the same price.

The Sigma one is nice for its extra telephoto(effective 400mm compared to 300mm) but I'm not sure about its quality though.

Evilmerlin said:
Anybody seen this before?

I'm contemplating between this and the Oly 40-150. Considering that both should be about the same price.

The Sigma one is nice for its extra telephoto(effective 400mm compared to 300mm) but I'm not sure about its quality though.

Hello Evilmerlin,

In the last Oly SG E300 event, I had hands-on with the ZD lens. The 3.5-4.5 max operating aperture is still usable indoors but the Sigma's 4-5.6 operating aperture less so. However the Sigma has the advantage of a shorter 1.1m vs 1.5m minimum focusing distance for cramped indoor conditions. The last unknown is the on-lens chip compability with the E system. Oly digital lenses also have the unique ability to be firmware upgraded.

The Sigma's are unproven entrants to Oly's 4/3 world. Looking at specs alone, both lenses are suited for outdoor use, but you should consider your requirements carefully for indoor shooting.

You should be able to get hands-on the 40-150 at the the coming Oly E300 event at Oly SG's Valley Point Tower office 28 Dec as I have for the same event earlier.

Cheers,

Excellent! Where can i find out more details about this event?

Evilmerlin said:
Excellent! Where can i find out more details about this event?

Hello Evilmerlin,

Three threads that may be of interest to you

1) Mpenza's sample photos of the 18-125 Sigma which will be available for 4/3 here.

2) My posting today on the event here

3) A summary of the last event here

4) Today's Strait's Times 23 Dec edition, pp 10 event advertisment.

Cheers,

Indoor shooting eh? :think: Fashion shows? Can't think of any other use. :)

Most probably sigma 70-300 class, which is one good lens for 300 bucks.

Hello Chancy,

" ... get hands-on the 40-150 at the the coming Oly E300 event at Oly SG's Valley Point Tower office 28 Dec as I have for the same event earlier..."

Do you mean Oly hd ofc is conducting another round of hands-on for E300 and the rest of its lens - just like the E300 luanch we have attended earlier?

Gave you taken any interesting shots since we last spoken in person?

philshots said:
Hello Chancy,

" ... get hands-on the 40-150 at the the coming Oly E300 event at Oly SG's Valley Point Tower office 28 Dec as I have for the same event earlier..."

Do you mean Oly hd ofc is conducting another round of hands-on for E300 and the rest of its lens - just like the E300 luanch we have attended earlier?

Gave you taken any interesting shots since we last spoken in person?

Yes, Oly SG is doing around round to promote the E300 at the same place tomorrow (28 Dec).

Took some flower picts but not using any of the lenses introduced alongside the E300.

I might turn up if there's a good response from the E1/E300 community here. But there's no indication so far as to who'll be there tomorrow.

Cheers,

chancy said:
Yes, Oly SG is doing around round to promote the E300 at the same place tomorrow (28 Dec).

Took some flower picts but not using any of the lenses introduced alongside the E300.

I might turn up if there's a good response from the E1/E300 community here. But there's no indication so far as to who'll be there tomorrow.

Cheers,

yo chancy,

i can confirm 85% will be going unless something crops up @ work. Will have to confirm with bariq if he would be going.

wanna meet for dinner b4 going up?

my hp 97888917.

cheers
chii

chii said:
yo chancy,

i can confirm 85% will be going unless something crops up @ work. Will have to confirm with bariq if he would be going.

wanna meet for dinner b4 going up?

my hp 97888917.

cheers
chii

Hello Chii,

I've deviated from the actual thread started by Bariq here as I'm responding to Philshots.

Well, my workplace is quite far from Oly's office, even dinner will be rushed for me. Hope you don't mind meeting at the event itself. I should be wearing an Apple T-Shirt (not an Apple employee) to help sift me from the crowd.

It's my 2nd time there, just wish more would turn-up. Hope this arrangement is well with you.

Cheers & hope there's no work to hold you back :)

Cheers,

PS: You may wish to leave your private contact via PM for confidentiality :)

Sigh..can't make it to the event..stuck in camp! Oh well, I'll most probably be settling for the Olympus lens, I value the f/3.5-4.5 more than the longer reach of the lens. Not very good at using flashes, prefer natural light.

Desperately wishes for Olympus to have a cheap bright lens!

Status
Not open for further replies.