Sigma 50mm f1.4 - new batch = outstanding performer

nitewalk said:
Not all. Try shooting a few shots and zoom in to check for sharpness. If u can, bring along a focus chart but I din do so as I felt I have the warranty so it's ok. I'd take caution to shoot at a moderate iso and higher shutter speed (if u don't want to mount a tripod in the shop to test shoot.). Then I'd try certain aperture I use often, eg 1.4, 1.8, 2.2, 2.8, 4, 5.6, 7.1.

I see, saw your post on the $60 rebate, lucky. I guess the promo ended.. Check around and the price range from 730-780.

Still sourcing for a better price, if there is any :)

Just got mine, was impressed with the quality.

I was told it comes with 2 time free calibration. Is there a need to bring it in brand new?

Is there really a notable difference between the old and new version?

Akira Fudou said:
Is there really a notable difference between the old and new version?

Optically NO

Melanmo said:
Optically NO

Same thoughts. Owned both old n new, both equally great. Only exterior different, which does not really matter to me. If can get old copy at great price, I will say go grab it.

SCULDER said:
So u guys recommend the sigma over the 50mm EF?

IMO, Sigma 50 1.4. can be safely rated between Canon 50 1.4 and Canon 50 1.2.

IMO,

Rich & money not an issue - canon 1.2
Budget constraint - canon 1.4 (500+ new)
In between then sigma - $700+ new

Super budget just want to play with a pancake .. Canon 1.8

:)

Hi guys, i have a one week old 50mm for sale in bns section as the fov is a little tight for my liking on aps-c. will be going for 30mm most likely. After a week, i find that this is a great lens and if i have a choice would't want to sell as i will most likely get it again in future if i upgrade to full frame but i wouldnt want this beauty to lie in my dry cabi and thus selling to fund for my 30mm =)

Read many comments on this lens with focusing issues.. Just wondering, nowadays with DSLR offering live view AF, wouldn't this problem go away naturally? (not for hard core user who only wants to use the viewfinder and phase detect AF)

Since live view AF uses contrast and adjust the lens until it finds the sharpest focus, calibration doesn't matter anymore isn't it.

wonder how the new canon DSLRs with the dual pixel on sensor PDAF are performing with the lense that use to have focusing accuracy problems with normal PDAF.

CDAF for DLSRs are still not as fast or reliable as those on mirror less cameras at the moment....so most people with DSLRs will go for the VF and PDAF (apart from the canon 70D for example and the DSLTs from sony)

Read many comments on this lens with focusing issues.. Just wondering, nowadays with DSLR offering live view AF, wouldn't this problem go away naturally? (not for hard core user who only wants to use the viewfinder and phase detect AF)

Since live view AF uses contrast and adjust the lens until it finds the sharpest focus, calibration doesn't matter anymore isn't it.

Noticed the thread actually refers to the version prior (last post Oct 2012 before being resurrected) to the Art version of the lens.

Noticed the thread actually refers to the version prior (last post Oct 2012 before being resurrected) to the Art version of the lens.

YUP.... Old thread ! :/

The lens still in the market right? the art version cost like more than double.. different market mah.

the optical quality of the sigma 50 non-art still impresses me even after 3 years of owning it. However the AF still leaves much to be desired even after calibration.
The degree of random error is quite high compared to native Canon lenses, and from the reviews of the 50 ART it seems like Sigma's AF is still the same :(

Sharpness wise, I don't hesitate to shoot wide open provided I shoot in live view(contrast detect AF)

Am thinking about changing to the Canon 85mm 1.8 next for a better viewfinder shooting experience, or perhaps the mythical canon 50mm F2 IS

hi all,

I heard there is a Sigma dock that allows us to calibrate lens focusing. Anyone used it before ? My 50mm f1.4 has poor focusing .

Yup. The dock is useful and can even for firmware upgrade