Sigma 50mm f1.4 - new batch = outstanding performer

Wow - nice shot! Looks plenty sharp to me! Is it wide open or stopped down a little?

As an aside, I suppose International Warranty means I should be able to calibrate it for free at Sigma Spore?

Last edited:
You referring to which photo? Anyway for my shot, it is shot wide open at 1.4 with flash. No post processing done to it. Yea if it has international warranty I guess you could?

Those who are interested in this lens can consider getting it. There seems to be a Sigma advertisement where upon cutting out the coupon you are entitled to a $60 rebate.

I was quoted $725 at TK Foto and after the rebate It cost me $665. most copies of this lens goes for $550, and a grey set goes for 600 plus also. Thus I feel this is a good deal.

nitewalk said:
Those who are interested in this lens can consider getting it. There seems to be a Sigma advertisement where upon cutting out the coupon you are entitled to a $60 rebate.

I was quoted $725 at TK Foto and after the rebate It cost me $665. most copies of this lens goes for $550, and a grey set goes for 600 plus also. Thus I feel this is a good deal.

You should go to HK. Way cheaper. And i am talking about lenses with warranty. Gray sets there are way lower than anything we see here.

Blur Shadow said:
You should go to HK. Way cheaper. And i am talking about lenses with warranty. Gray sets there are way lower than anything we see here.

I heard u need to be able to speak in canto to get good prices? But my worries of getting a grey set was if I needed calibration, then I needed the warranty.

nitewalk said:
I heard u need to be able to speak in canto to get good prices? But my worries of getting a grey set was if I needed calibration, then I needed the warranty.

You don't always need to speak Cantonese, although that can really help.

Just select a good lens. You shouldn't need to go through more than 3 lenses to find a good one.

I tested it in shop and it looked to be almost spot on (consistently front focusing by a touch) so i bought it thinking I can just microadjust/fine tune in camera. BUT at home upon further testing found that i need +18 when very near and -5 when far to get sharp shots. I am still very happy with it and no regrets buying cos I can work around this and the build quality, weight and bokeh are to die for.

However, my question is - with a lens that has both front/back focusing at different distances will it help to calibrate? Is this the 'Focus shift' that the 50L suffers from too?

electron said:
I tested it in shop and it looked to be almost spot on (consistently front focusing by a touch) so i bought it thinking I can just microadjust/fine tune in camera. BUT at home upon further testing found that i need +18 when very near and -5 when far to get sharp shots. I am still very happy with it and no regrets buying cos I can work around this and the build quality, weight and bokeh are to die for.

However, my question is - with a lens that has both front/back focusing at different distances will it help to calibrate? Is this the 'Focus shift' that the 50L suffers from too?

I went to their service centre 4 times just to know it's impossible to fix. Got a new copy instead. Wasted so much of my time.

I went to their service centre 4 times just to know it's impossible to fix. Got a new copy instead. Wasted so much of my time.

Do you mean you got an exchange at the shop for a new copy or you bought another one and sold the old one?

I got a new copy from Sigma service centre. I tried a few copy in the shop and I thought I had the sharpest copy there already. But when I went back I realised the focusing issue was not something I could live with so I went to Sigma to see what they could offer me. A few visits and the problem was still there. Calibration did not help at all. The lens even went back to Japan for an inspection.

Clickclickguy said:

Was the copy you got generally soft?

nitewalk said:
Was the copy you got generally soft?

Sharp like hell at the area that is focused. The problem was that it had focusing issue. Otherwise a really good lens.

But eventually I exchanged for a good copy and it is smooth sailing. Really sharp at the focused area.

Clickclickguy said:
Sharp like hell at the area that is focused. The problem was that it had focusing issue. Otherwise a really good lens.

But eventually I exchanged for a good copy and it is smooth sailing. Really sharp at the focused area.

This I agree. Hahah. Especially when you go near your subject, the sharpness of your subject and the background blur makes me smile nonstop. Hahahah

nitewalk said:
This I agree. Hahah. Especially when you go near your subject, the sharpness of your subject and the background blur makes me smile nonstop. Hahahah

I actually prefer this lens to canon 50mm F1.2

1. Did your old lens also Front focus at near distance and back focus at far distance (or vice/versa)?
2. Did you need to make any microadjustments (MFA) to the camera with the new lens?

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

Couple of shots over the weekend. Wide open!

No pp done. Straight off SD card.

Ok I gotta ask .... From the 2 photos posted, does it look like mine needs calibration ?

Am getting paranoid, reading some of the posts in this thread. hahahh !

I intend to get one these few days, that should I look out for? Is the all 50mm in general suffering from all these problem? Sweat :~

Elson17 said:
I intend to get one these few days, that should I look out for? Is the all 50mm in general suffering from all these problem? Sweat :~

Not all. Try shooting a few shots and zoom in to check for sharpness. If u can, bring along a focus chart but I din do so as I felt I have the warranty so it's ok. I'd take caution to shoot at a moderate iso and higher shutter speed (if u don't want to mount a tripod in the shop to test shoot.). Then I'd try certain aperture I use often, eg 1.4, 1.8, 2.2, 2.8, 4, 5.6, 7.1.