Sigma 50mm f1.4 - new batch = outstanding performer

I read everywhere about the review of this lens is fantastic. I might be the only one here never played with 3rd party lens, but can anyone tell me how to distinguish the new batch from the old one physically? I might get one if budget is OK.. Thanks all

SCULDER said:
I read everywhere about the review of this lens is fantastic. I might be the only one here never played with 3rd party lens, but can anyone tell me how to distinguish the new batch from the old one physically? I might get one if budget is OK.. Thanks all

The outer lens barrel of the old batch is rough matt finish and the new batch is with the smooth finish:)

SCULDER said:

Bro why don't you just buy a new one. All the shops, whether local AD or grey sets, are all new batches. Save you the trouble too. Unless you intend to get resale set, then you need to worry about the coating :)

The outer lens barrel of the old batch is rough matt finish and the new batch is with the smooth finish:)

thanks bro! is there any indicator like I, II / Mark I, Mark II or sumthin liddat?

Bro why don't you just buy a new one. All the shops, whether local AD or grey sets, are all new batches. Save you the trouble too. Unless you intend to get resale set, then you need to worry about the coating :)

exactly. I just don't want to get cheated, so I need to know what's the differnt old and new one.

There is no mark1 or 2 onli 1 version for this lens. There is onli the new an old batch.

Just bought this lens today with local warranty. I've been using the 30mm 1.4 on a crop sensor body for the past 3.5 years and LOVED it. Recently upgraded to full frame, so can't use the 30mm anymore. Hope this lens will bring the same joy I had with the 30mm.

Just bought this lens today with local warranty. I've been using the 30mm 1.4 on a crop sensor body for the past 3.5 years and LOVED it. Recently upgraded to full frame, so can't use the 30mm anymore. Hope this lens will bring the same joy I had with the 30mm.

It will be even better :)

koppite said:
It will be even better :)

Agree! I loved the 50 on my 5D2 much more than my 30 on my old 60D! It is a better lens than the 30 IMHO. I may be biased though cos it is on a FF after all!

this lens built quality is amazing, the Canon & Nikon version is not par to it...

I used to own Nikon 50mm f1.4afd, 50mm f1.4afs and i think they are great lens. Never thought that Sigma 50mm f1.4 can produce better images until i bought it from a bro in cs a week ago.
It gave a very nice warm tone for portrait.

Picture of my baby Taken in Macdonal lighting
p1080447184-4.jpg

The early batches of the 50mm f1.2 came with what is known as a crinkle finish - it was very matt. The new finish is just matt plastic finish. The new batch has a better hit rate. My 10 month old 50mm f1.4 siggy is simply great - the only thing I can complain about it the large 77mm filter. I like to pick lenses such that all the filter sizes are the same. So for example Canon's 24mm f2.8, 28mm f1.8, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.2 and 100mm f2 all have a filter size of 58mm. This means you'll need to carry one polarizer - no step up rings etc. In comparing the Canon 50mm f1.4 and the Sigma 50mm f1.4 - the Sigma has the edge at f1.4 up to f2.5 the Canon is better around f2.8 onwards. Also the canon's field of view is not as wide as the Sigma's.

The prices of this Sigma lens has gone to a new low in BnS - $499 since I bought mine new at $800++ about 3 years ago. I wonder if I have to give mine away 3 years later with the price falling at this rate. Why is the price falling like coconut? I have used many 50mm and this is definitely one of the better ones for portraits and general stuff.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/buy-...new-finish-mint-fullbox-w-filter-499-sgd.html

The new batch has a better hit rate.

I have to disagree with this comment. Mine is the original batch and focus has been spot on. And furthermore is just a matter of calibration. I would say both the original and the latter is the same version with the difference being improved barrel finishing. Many feedback the original crinkled finish peel off easily. The optics used, design and electronics are the same.

the only thing I can complain about it the large 77mm filter. I like to pick lenses such that all the filter sizes are the same. So for example Canon's 24mm f2.8, 28mm f1.8, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.2 and 100mm f2 all have a filter size of 58mm. This means you'll need to carry one polarizer - no step up rings etc. In comparing the Canon 50mm f1.4 and the Sigma 50mm f1.4 - the Sigma has the edge at f1.4 up to f2.5 the Canon is better around f2.8 onwards. Also the canon's field of view is not as wide as the Sigma's.

Lens manufacturer are building quality lenses with bigger front elements to allow more light into the lens so as to get more colour information. 77 - 82mm will become more common in the DSLR lenses. IMO, while the Sigma has wonderful bokeh at the wider apertures. I feel that it is optimal at f4-5.6. The strength of this lens is at near distances. At infinity, there are many 50mm better than the Sigma. However, it still remains an all rounder at near and far distances, wide and narrow aperture. Unfortortunately, Sigma lenses do hold their value well.

Last edited:
The prices of this Sigma lens has gone to a new low in BnS - $499 since I bought mine new at $800++ about 3 years ago. I wonder if I have to give mine away 3 years later with the price falling at this rate. Why is the price falling like coconut? I have used many 50mm and this is definitely one of the better ones for portraits and general stuff.

Maybe because they bought cheap? I got my Sigma 50/1.4 (new coating) around 1.5 years ago for $535 brand new.

The results are simply fantastic!

7968656086_16fa42b1b4_z.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm planning to get the Sigma 50mm 1.4 after reading through many great reviews about it. May I know what's the current price of it at local retail shops? Is it still around 600+ to 700+?

thltetek said:
Hi all, I'm planning to get the Sigma 50mm 1.4 after reading through many great reviews about it. May I know what's the current price of it at local retail shops? Is it still around 600+ to 700+?

check out the BnS , some are going as low as 400+, if u dun mind 2nd hand

local at 680 range, grey at 580 :)

I'm going to Dubai where it's about $600. Assuming it needs calibration, will Sigma Svc Centre here honour International Warranty from Dubai? Or so I have to pay $80 or $150?

Also when they say 'calibrate' do they calibrate the lens or just use the 'AF microadjust' feature on the camera?

Loving my Sigma 50mm f1.4 which I got it from a nice CS-er last week. Here's a shot taken with it:

227909_425495280821327_1120177618_n.jpg