Sigma 50mm f1.4 - new batch = outstanding performer

thanks roy.. hope to get a positive reply from technogadget.. the poison is already too deep in my blood..

Wondering if TKfoto is consistent in selling a sharp copy of this siggy?!

Wondering if TKfoto is consistent in selling a sharp copy of this siggy?!

There is no ultimate sharp copy. Copy is sharp or not depends a lot on your camera body as well. And not just the same model, but that specific camera body you hold in your hand. So you need to test the lens prior to paying to make sure that specific copy of the lens focuses ok on your camera body. The same applies for Nikon or Canon lenses or lenses from other brands.

And there is no guarantee that when you get a new body, the lens you own will be just as sharp on that new body.

You can read more about why this is the case here:
LensRentals.com - Notes on Lens and Camera Variation

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for d informative reply :)
Then i'll jus test them at the shop
daredevil123 said:
There is no ultimate sharp copy. Copy is sharp or not depends a lot on your camera body as well. And not just the same model, but that specific camera body you hold in your hand. So you need to test the lens prior to paying to make sure that specific copy of the lens focuses ok on your camera body. The same applies for Nikon or Canon lenses or lenses from other brands.

And there is no guarantee that when you get a new body, the lens you own will be just as sharp on that new body.

You can read more about why this is the case here:
LensRentals.com - Notes on Lens and Camera Variation

Got mine and quickly did a test.

Below are SOOC, ISO 100 @ f1.4. No PP or sharpening done.

Full image
outdoor_full_pics.jpg

100% crop
outdoor_100_crop.jpg

After that I recompose a little bit and it came out like this

Full image
outdoor_side.jpg

100% crop
outdoor_100_crop_side.jpg

I think I won the Sigma lottery and got a good copy. What do you guys think?

This is how it looks after some sharpening in DPP

outdoor_100_crop_sharpen.jpg

exif:
Exposure: 0.003 sec (1/400)
Aperture: f/1.4
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed:100

Adjustment in DPP
Sharpness: pushed to 5

Unsharp masking
Strength: 5
fineness: 5
Threshold: 2

Is rather sharp after 100% cropped.

6835406406_cfffbccf02_z.jpg

6835403420_24253b00d7_z.jpg

How are these photos? I shot them wide open.
The first photo looks soft to me.
The 2nd photo looks alittle front focus and soft. Just sent to the service centre, they are now mending with it.
The guy told me that it was the focus ring which was too stiff thus he will either change or enhance the ring so that the image will be sharper and more consistent :)
Both taken without editing done

Last edited:
NewbietoPro said:
How are these photos? I shot them wide open.
The first photo looks soft to me.
The 2nd photo looks alittle front focus and soft. Just sent to the service centre, they are now mending with it.
The guy told me that it was the focus ring which was too stiff thus he will either change or enhance the ring so that the image will be sharper and more consistent :)
Both taken without editing done

They both look fine to me. I dunno where you focus in the second pic to tell if it's front focus or not..

Oh hi cowseye, I am focusing on the lace. Only the top lace.
I have quite a number of missed shots at f1.4 actually, thus I brought to the service centre to check then they say it was the focus ring so I am now waiting for them to get it done. Hopefully within 2-3 days

NewbietoPro said:
Oh hi cowseye, I am focusing on the lace. Only the top lace.
I have quite a number of missed shots at f1.4 actually, thus I brought to the service centre to check then they say it was the focus ring so I am now waiting for them to get it done. Hopefully within 2-3 days

Wonder what does the focus ring got to do with the front focus. F/1.4 misses is quite common, the DOF is very thin.

LOL. I am not sure too. Just let them do lo. I just wanna make sure they get it done and sharp and clear will do :)

Think should be quite safe to leave the lens in theirnhands lah. I calibrated my previous 30 and 50mm lenses and both came back and performed great!

just got myself 1 from a fellow cser today loving it:)

YUP!!
Just got the lens back today.
Shots taken wide open.
Missed shots are lesser now.

Take a look if you are free :)
Minimum Sharpening :) 25% max

http://www.flickr.com/photos/newbietopro/

6987409803_84e615fc91_z.jpg

Focus point : on the nail of the lamp

6987406657_54107429ce_z.jpg

Focus point: On the tree bark (these curly lines)

Last edited:
You stop using it?

Yeah bro, after I got the 35L, I sold it off to my friend. I still miss this lens :cry: If you are using FF, you will love this. I am one who thinks that the roars about the AF issues are overhyped. It brings me nothing but joy :thumbsup:

Ah, that was a bad choice. I am on crop. Most likely getting a ff soon.
But why dun u get a 24L with this sigma lens and a 85L for portrait?