• Olympus Sport Photography - IWWF WAKEFEST - Limited 25 Paxs - 26th May 2019, Visit this thread thread for more information.

Sigma 50mm f1.4 - new batch = outstanding performer


electron

New Member
Jan 11, 2008
577
0
0
Wow - nice shot! Looks plenty sharp to me! Is it wide open or stopped down a little?

As an aside, I suppose International Warranty means I should be able to calibrate it for free at Sigma Spore?
 

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2012
293
0
16
26
Singapore
You referring to which photo? Anyway for my shot, it is shot wide open at 1.4 with flash. No post processing done to it. Yea if it has international warranty I guess you could?
 

nitewalk

Senior Member
May 31, 2010
4,614
35
48
Singapore
Those who are interested in this lens can consider getting it. There seems to be a Sigma advertisement where upon cutting out the coupon you are entitled to a $60 rebate.

I was quoted $725 at TK Foto and after the rebate It cost me $665. most copies of this lens goes for $550, and a grey set goes for 600 plus also. Thus I feel this is a good deal.
 

Blur Shadow

Senior Member
Sep 17, 2005
4,886
4
0
nitewalk said:
Those who are interested in this lens can consider getting it. There seems to be a Sigma advertisement where upon cutting out the coupon you are entitled to a $60 rebate.

I was quoted $725 at TK Foto and after the rebate It cost me $665. most copies of this lens goes for $550, and a grey set goes for 600 plus also. Thus I feel this is a good deal.
You should go to HK. Way cheaper. And i am talking about lenses with warranty. Gray sets there are way lower than anything we see here.
 

nitewalk

Senior Member
May 31, 2010
4,614
35
48
Singapore
Blur Shadow said:
You should go to HK. Way cheaper. And i am talking about lenses with warranty. Gray sets there are way lower than anything we see here.
I heard u need to be able to speak in canto to get good prices? But my worries of getting a grey set was if I needed calibration, then I needed the warranty.
 

Blur Shadow

Senior Member
Sep 17, 2005
4,886
4
0
nitewalk said:
I heard u need to be able to speak in canto to get good prices? But my worries of getting a grey set was if I needed calibration, then I needed the warranty.
You don't always need to speak Cantonese, although that can really help.

Just select a good lens. You shouldn't need to go through more than 3 lenses to find a good one.
 

electron

New Member
Jan 11, 2008
577
0
0
I tested it in shop and it looked to be almost spot on (consistently front focusing by a touch) so i bought it thinking I can just microadjust/fine tune in camera. BUT at home upon further testing found that i need +18 when very near and -5 when far to get sharp shots. I am still very happy with it and no regrets buying cos I can work around this and the build quality, weight and bokeh are to die for.

However, my question is - with a lens that has both front/back focusing at different distances will it help to calibrate? Is this the 'Focus shift' that the 50L suffers from too?
 

Jul 23, 2011
38
0
0
electron said:
I tested it in shop and it looked to be almost spot on (consistently front focusing by a touch) so i bought it thinking I can just microadjust/fine tune in camera. BUT at home upon further testing found that i need +18 when very near and -5 when far to get sharp shots. I am still very happy with it and no regrets buying cos I can work around this and the build quality, weight and bokeh are to die for.

However, my question is - with a lens that has both front/back focusing at different distances will it help to calibrate? Is this the 'Focus shift' that the 50L suffers from too?
I went to their service centre 4 times just to know it's impossible to fix. Got a new copy instead. Wasted so much of my time.
 

electron

New Member
Jan 11, 2008
577
0
0
I went to their service centre 4 times just to know it's impossible to fix. Got a new copy instead. Wasted so much of my time.
Do you mean you got an exchange at the shop for a new copy or you bought another one and sold the old one?
 

Jul 23, 2011
38
0
0
I got a new copy from Sigma service centre. I tried a few copy in the shop and I thought I had the sharpest copy there already. But when I went back I realised the focusing issue was not something I could live with so I went to Sigma to see what they could offer me. A few visits and the problem was still there. Calibration did not help at all. The lens even went back to Japan for an inspection.
 

nitewalk

Senior Member
May 31, 2010
4,614
35
48
Singapore
Clickclickguy said:
I went to their service centre 4 times just to know it's impossible to fix. Got a new copy instead. Wasted so much of my time.
Was the copy you got generally soft?
 

Jul 23, 2011
38
0
0
nitewalk said:
Was the copy you got generally soft?
Sharp like hell at the area that is focused. The problem was that it had focusing issue. Otherwise a really good lens.

But eventually I exchanged for a good copy and it is smooth sailing. Really sharp at the focused area.
 

nitewalk

Senior Member
May 31, 2010
4,614
35
48
Singapore
Clickclickguy said:
Sharp like hell at the area that is focused. The problem was that it had focusing issue. Otherwise a really good lens.

But eventually I exchanged for a good copy and it is smooth sailing. Really sharp at the focused area.
This I agree. Hahah. Especially when you go near your subject, the sharpness of your subject and the background blur makes me smile nonstop. Hahahah
 

Jul 23, 2011
38
0
0
nitewalk said:
This I agree. Hahah. Especially when you go near your subject, the sharpness of your subject and the background blur makes me smile nonstop. Hahahah
I actually prefer this lens to canon 50mm F1.2
 

electron

New Member
Jan 11, 2008
577
0
0
Sharp like hell at the area that is focused. The problem was that it had focusing issue. Otherwise a really good lens.

But eventually I exchanged for a good copy and it is smooth sailing. Really sharp at the focused area.
1. Did your old lens also Front focus at near distance and back focus at far distance (or vice/versa)?
2. Did you need to make any microadjustments (MFA) to the camera with the new lens?
 

flamenco

New Member
May 22, 2012
290
0
0




Couple of shots over the weekend. Wide open!

No pp done. Straight off SD card.
 

flamenco

New Member
May 22, 2012
290
0
0
Ok I gotta ask .... From the 2 photos posted, does it look like mine needs calibration ?

Am getting paranoid, reading some of the posts in this thread. hahahh !
 

Elson17

New Member
Sep 28, 2012
69
0
0
SG
I intend to get one these few days, that should I look out for? Is the all 50mm in general suffering from all these problem? Sweat :~
 

nitewalk

Senior Member
May 31, 2010
4,614
35
48
Singapore
Elson17 said:
I intend to get one these few days, that should I look out for? Is the all 50mm in general suffering from all these problem? Sweat :~
Not all. Try shooting a few shots and zoom in to check for sharpness. If u can, bring along a focus chart but I din do so as I felt I have the warranty so it's ok. I'd take caution to shoot at a moderate iso and higher shutter speed (if u don't want to mount a tripod in the shop to test shoot.). Then I'd try certain aperture I use often, eg 1.4, 1.8, 2.2, 2.8, 4, 5.6, 7.1.
 

Top Bottom