Sigma 50mm f1.4 - new batch = outstanding performer


Bodhisattva

Member
Dec 31, 2007
55
0
6
Singapore
Recently I tried my copy on a FF body and I realized my copy exhibits back focus as I stopped down from f1.4 to f2, f2.8, f4.....to f16. I did the test on a lens focus chart with the camera on a tripod. Is this common or do I need to send the lens for calibration again? I think the focusing distance was probably about 1ft.
 

happychai

Member
Jun 3, 2005
310
0
16
how many years warranty that sigma provided?
 

nkt

Member
Feb 27, 2004
84
0
6
2 years... If register online within 2 weeks of purchase, will get another 1/2 year. Total 2 and 1/2 year.
 

fmeeran

New Member
Nov 5, 2010
834
0
0
Clementi, Singapore
nkt said:
2 years... If register online within 2 weeks of purchase, will get another 1/2 year. Total 2 and 1/2 year.
Thanks. :)
All my sigma lenses are Grey sets. So didn't know for sure.
 

Last edited:

pachero

New Member
Feb 21, 2011
233
0
0
Bodhisattva said:
Recently I tried my copy on a FF body and I realized my copy exhibits back focus as I stopped down from f1.4 to f2, f2.8, f4.....to f16. I did the test on a lens focus chart with the camera on a tripod. Is this common or do I need to send the lens for calibration again? I think the focusing distance was probably about 1ft.
Maybe instead of shooting charts, try shooting how you normally would and see if there's any problem. Who knows, you may have configured the test wrongly. :)
 

Bodhisattva

Member
Dec 31, 2007
55
0
6
Singapore
Maybe instead of shooting charts, try shooting how you normally would and see if there's any problem. Who knows, you may have configured the test wrongly. :)
I tried shooting normally and I don't see any back focus issues. Haha indeed I may have conducted the test wrongly.
 

NewbietoPro

Member
Sep 24, 2011
479
0
16
This sigma lens just seems to perform better without any filters wide open.
The focusing is more accurate and the image quality is much better.
I am using a hoya hmc filter, could also be the filter is not that good, but still this Lena is just a class of it's own.
Definitely a performer. :)
 

PapaLi

New Member
Sep 6, 2010
491
0
0
Pasir Ris
any advise for this lens on a crop body?
any pics from it will be helpful too...
thanks
 

daredevil123

Moderator
Staff member
Oct 25, 2005
21,705
81
48
lil red dot
This lens has become one of my most indispensable lenses for me... simply unbelievably amazing!
 

NikF601

Senior Member
Jul 26, 2010
1,544
2
36
53
CCK
wahseng said:
Bought this piece of glass earlier
Well done. Enjoy shooting with this len.
 

wolfton

New Member
Jun 21, 2010
1,070
0
0
Wow bro, first time I see pictures taken at f25 with this lens. Did you convert to HDR? Some of the pics looks like HDR to me :)

Just a humble comment, I thought some of the pics have a little element of over-exposure. Nonetheless, it was a good effort.
 

Last edited:

wahseng

Member
Mar 23, 2012
209
0
16
Singapore
wolfton said:
Wow bro, first time I see pictures taken at f25 with this lens. Did you convert to HDR? Some of the pics looks like HDR to me :)

Just a humble comment, I thought some of the pics have a little element of over-exposure. Nonetheless, it was a good effort.
No editing done. Not HDR.
Yeah i agree some are overexposed if u look thru at those shots
 

Wiiing

New Member
Mar 18, 2011
58
0
0
Bought this amazing lens almost two months from now, bokehlicious! I like how it look on my 60D! :D