Sigma 50mm f1.4 HSM & Pentax K-5 - An outstanding combination !

zoom3

May 18, 2007
Singapore
Finally had the chance to try out the Sigma 50mm in real life shooting conditions. Put it through it's paces, together with my "just back from Japan" K-5 last weekend. Needless to say, I am hugely impressed with the performance of this combo, especially at large apertures - the output is smooth with beautiful tones, colours and buttery bokeh. And of course sharp & full of details as well. The HSM focusing is both fast and accurate but subjectively, I feel the FA50mm is a touch faster.

The pic IQ from this lens is great on the K-7 but when mounted on the K-5, the IQ is simply outstanding.

Here are some pics to share. Comments or questions most welcomed.

1. @f1.4
IMGP0364.jpg

2. @f2.0
IMGP0315.jpg

3. @f2.8
IMGP0326.jpg

4. @f1.6
IMGP0269A.jpg

Last edited:
:heart:k5:heart:sigma 50mm/1.4:heart: model

Looks like we:heart: the same things ;)

Me too :heart::heart::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Should post more photos of this beautiful lady ;)

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

very nice combo!

Here's another taken at f1.4

IMGP0242.jpg

Should post more photos of this beautiful lady ;)

OK. Here's one for you. Didn't quite nail the focus but I like the pic. Again taken at f1.4

IMGP0358A.jpg

A few more recent pics to share. Still learning the characteristic of this lens. So far, very happy with it. A great portrait lens. No focusing issues.

@ F1.4
IMGP1057.jpg

@ F2.0
IMGP1040.jpg

And of course not every pic need to be shot a large aperture. Here is one @ F8.0 ;)
IMGP1307.jpg

Beautiful models and nice shots:thumbsup:, impressive combo.

A few more recent pics to share. Still learning the characteristic of this lens. So far, very happy with it. A great portrait lens. No focusing issues.

And of course not every pic need to be shot a large aperture. Here is one @ F8.0 ;)
IMGP1307.jpg

I like this last shot the best. f8 is the way to go :)

Wonder how it matches up to the FA 50mm f/1.4.
Haven't done a side by side comparison but it is quite obvious that at F1.4 to around F2.0, the Sigma 50 is noticeably sharper than the FA50..

How about da 55 1.4?
Don't know..... Would love to try this lens sometime. For now the Sigma more than meets my requirements.

Sigma 50 is better, but its too big to my liking...
A personal preference thing I guess. I really like the size much more than the FA50. With the battery grip (which I always use), it helps in the handling of the camera. Even without the grip, it's nice. And it's not as heavy as it looks.

A quick update. It's some 2.5 months since I got this lens. Have shot many many photos with it. Still very happy with the results and is defintely recommended.

If you like taking portraits, this lens must be considered. The focal length is perfect for me as I like to get close to the subject to get better interaction. The result is almost always better this way.

1. @ f8.0 under studio lighting, so shouldn't be an issue with sharpness. I just like how it renders.
IMGP2765A.jpg

2. @f2.2. DOF still a bit shallow as the left eye out of focus. Prefer it to be more in focus. f2.8 might do the job. Shot under natural light. Neverthless, I still like this photo.
IMGP1503A.jpg

Last edited:
very very nice hehe....

am also wondering how does the DA*55 f/1.4 perform too

zoom3 said:
A quick update. It's some 2.5 months since I got this lens. Have shot many many photos with it. Still very happy with the results and is defintely recommended.

If you like taking portraits, this lens must be considered. The focal length is perfect for me as I like to get close to the subject to get better interaction. The result is almost always better this way.

1. @ f8.0 under studio lighting, so shouldn't be an issue with sharpness. I just like how it renders.

2. @f2.2. DOF still a bit shallow as the left eye out of focus. Prefer it to be more in focus. f2.8 might do the job. Shot under natural light. Neverthless, I still like this photo.

Great shots. Like the 1st one very much. Thanks for sharing.