Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art lens

undergrd

Jun 16, 2007
North-East
Sigma has announced an update the its 50mm f1.4 and now with the Art label.

Specifications
Lens Construction: 13 Elements in 8 Groups
Angle of View: 46.8º
Number of Diaphragm Blades: 9
Mininum Aperture: f16
Minimum Focusing Distance: 40 cm / 15.7 in
Filter Size (mm): 77mm
Maximum Magnifications: 1: 5.6
Dimensions Diameter x Length): 85.4 x 99.9 mm/ 3.4 x 3.9 in Weight 470g / 16.6oz.

http://photorumors.com/2014/01/06/sigma-50mm-f1-4-dg-hsm-art-and-18-200mm-f3-5-6-3-dc-macro-os-hsm-lenses-announced/

It seems like quite a re-design. As usual, I would wait for reviews, comments and my own personal evaluation before deciding if the lens interests me.

I am also waiting for future reviews and how it performs against the previous version.

Longer lens...but lighter. Filter thread diameters is same with old one.

Very nice looking lens. I will probably buy it when it comes out. Canon or sony mount hmmm

Very nice looking lens. I will probably buy it when it comes out. Canon or sony mount hmmm

Again? Haha. BBB FTW.

Hope it is as good or better than the 35mm ART.

Wait for review soon.

MY guess, it will be cheaper than 35 ART.

Probably just slightly cheaper...

For Sony mount.....is A-mount right?
If price is good, could be alternative to FE 55 f1.8 for A7/A7R. But need adapter...
Just hope that Sigma have their 35, 50 Art in FF E-mount...

Probably just slightly cheaper...

Pray hard it is slight more expensive than old sigma 50 EX DG HSM version...hehe.
50ART is lighter than 35ART
Lighter means less glass construction ---> cheaper. Hehe.

50mm lenses are generally cheaper than 35mm lenses because they are easier to manufacture.

Reactions: ageha
For Sony mount.....is A-mount right?
If price is good, could be alternative to FE 55 f1.8 for A7/A7R. But need adapter...
Just hope that Sigma have their 35, 50 Art in FF E-mount...

Give n Take... FE 55/1.8 is a lens perfectly made for the Sony A7/R by Zeiss, performance wise is already been reviewed to be slightly inferior to Otus 55/1.4. It is lighter and with the native E Mount AF, which is quite fast.

Sigma 50/1.4 ART on A Mount will need an adaptor making it front heavy. Advantage is being a cheaper option, wider aperture of f/1.4 and can be re-used on Alpha DSLR bodies if U have one... I dun doubt the performance of this lens though but I feel the native FE 55/1.8 will work better on the Sony A7/Rs.

Sigma has announced an update the its 50mm f1.4 and now with the Art label.

Specifications
Lens Construction: 13 Elements in 8 Groups
Angle of View: 46.8º
Number of Diaphragm Blades: 9
Mininum Aperture: f16
Minimum Focusing Distance: 40 cm / 15.7 in
Filter Size (mm): 77mm
Maximum Magnifications: 1: 5.6
Dimensions Diameter x Length): 85.4 x 99.9 mm/ 3.4 x 3.9 in Weight 470g / 16.6oz.

http://photorumors.com/2014/01/06/s...mm-f3-5-6-3-dc-macro-os-hsm-lenses-announced/
Too heavy for my taste but should be a great lens. The old one is rather bad optically compared to the newer 35/1.4. Should be easy for them to make a good 50/1.4 now.

Give n Take... FE 55/1.8 is a lens perfectly made for the Sony A7/R by Zeiss, performance wise is already been reviewed to be slightly inferior to Otus 55/1.4. It is lighter and with the native E Mount AF, which is quite fast.

Sigma 50/1.4 ART on A Mount will need an adaptor making it front heavy. Advantage is being a cheaper option, wider aperture of f/1.4 and can be re-used on Alpha DSLR bodies if U have one... I dun doubt the performance of this lens though but I feel the native FE 55/1.8 will work better on the Sony A7/Rs.

Agree. Always there is a trade-off.
Native mount always has faster AF. I saw FE 55 f1.8 photos by some of the A7/A7R users here...you are one of them :).
it is really poison with wide spread of BBB virus....

Agree. Always there is a trade-off.
Native mount always has faster AF. I saw FE 55 f1.8 photos by some of the A7/A7R users here...you are one of them :).
it is really poison with wide spread of BBB virus....

I also kena self poisoned by those FE 55/1.8 owners after some test shots using their lenses... Though I love my manual focus Minolta MC Rokkor 58/1.2, I cant resist getting the FE 55/1.8... LOL...

I also kena self poisoned by those FE 55/1.8 owners after some test shots using their lenses... Though I love my manual focus Minolta MC Rokkor 58/1.2, I cant resist getting the FE 55/1.8... LOL...

Lol....BBB. and share with us your FE 55 f1.8 photos...hehe.

Lol....BBB. and share with us your FE 55 f1.8 photos...hehe.

Still awaiting d lens from Japan. Haha.