Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX DG or DA* 300mm F4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reportage

Nov 24, 2008
They`re about US$1k now. since Pentax has no plans for a super telephoto of super range, guess thats the only choice. planning to get one before NDP`09.

want to ask users, lets say use the 300mm to take picture and then crop to give the effect of 500mm, will there be obvious differences vs using a zoom lens at 500mm?

The Sigma 100-300 f/4 is supposed to be the best third party long telephoto zoom for Pentax at the moment, but I was never able to find a copy locally, else I would have bought it. It had to be special ordered and the price was approx SG$2.2k

I tried the Sigma 50-500 at AP-Funan a couple of weeks ago...it's too big and heavy for continuous hand held shooting. Above 300 mm, very high shutter speeds will be required for a sharp photo, so it needs to be mounted on a tripod almost all the time...which makes it unpractical in many situations. Price was about SG$1.8k IIRC.

DA*300/4 is a nice lens, but it's a 'luxury' lens unless you have a specific need for a prime at 300mm. So, practical considerations have me seeking out a Sigma 100-300/4.

The 50-500 is too big for handheld shooting. If you can, I suggest the 100-300, but we all know we can't get it in local shops. Even Sigma agent don't display it during PC shows.

Next best thing would be the DA*300. It is quite sharp so I am able to crop heavily on those F-16 photos and still get a great photo. I think someone is selling one at an attractive price.

Anyone interested in the DA*300 please PM me ;p . Anyway as regards to the Sigma 100-300 vs the DA*300, I went through the same dilemma on choosing either one of them, finally decided on the DA*300. No regrets so far, sharp wipe open. Only regrets I have is that I need to sell it off now for personal reason. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.