Sigma 50-500 with converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazyfiddler

Sep 8, 2002
Just wondering... do anyone here use a Sigma 50-500 with either the 1.4x or 2x Sigma teleconverter? If there is someone, could you please tell us how do the pictures turn out?

I am considering buying a teleconverter that can extend the reach of my focal length and also a teleconverter that can go with my 'soon to purchase' Sigma 70-200/2.8. ;)

either way... with 50-500mm plus TC... AF doesn't work anymore... so naturally picture-wise you have to depend on luck and your calibration :)

got no pix :| tomshen: do you have this setup? :)

Originally posted by nEkOgOtCh
either way... with 50-500mm plus TC... AF doesn't work anymore... so naturally picture-wise you have to depend on luck and your calibration :)

got no pix :| tomshen: do you have this setup? :)

Thanks for the reply! Yes. From the Sigma website, recognized that I will have to MF if I attach the teleconverter. Believed that I also lose one stop? or two? Does that mean that my Sigma when fully extended at 500mm and opened fully will give an Av of 12.6?

If that is the case, then I wouldn't be able to get a fast shutter right? :confused: Would that be still effective to shoot those birdies at Sungei Buloh??

Originally posted by lazyfiddler

Thanks for the reply! Yes. From the Sigma website, recognized that I will have to MF if I attach the teleconverter. Believed that I also lose one stop? or two? Does that mean that my Sigma when fully extended at 500mm and opened fully will give an Av of 12.6?

If that is the case, then I wouldn't be able to get a fast shutter right? :confused: Would that be still effective to shoot those birdies at Sungei Buloh??

I am not sure if u mean lcan't AF due to "low light" or lose the function of AF.

14x TC lose 1 stop and 2x TC lose
2stop.

Sigma is 5.6 at 500mm. 1 stop make it f8, which most body have problem to AF.

You can still use fast shutter speed if the iso is high or it's a very sunny day.

Just wondering... do anyone here use a Sigma 50-500 with either the 1.4x or 2x Sigma teleconverter? If there is someone, could you please tell us how do the pictures turn out?

I am considering buying a teleconverter that can extend the reach of my focal length and also a teleconverter that can go with my 'soon to purchase' Sigma 70-200/2.8. ;)

haven't try .. a first look is that the view is very dark ... unless you are in bright sunny day then it might turn out good ?

with the 2x it became longer and as a results it is very difficult to take still picture even with my 055pro tripod with the action grip gear ball..

take note Apecture becomes F11 after attaching the 2x

here is some interesting link .. not sure if the fotos are real
http://www.belgiumdigital.be/albums/canon_d60/sigma_1600/
http://www.vividlight.com/articles/413.htm

i will take some shots with 2x if i gotten some time =D

Originally posted by binbeto

it's F/6.3 at 500mm

Originally posted by Keito

it's F/6.3 at 500mm

the stop of light should be
f/1.4
f/2.0f/2.8
f/4.0f/5.6
f/8.0
f/11

Is 1 stop after f5.6 be f/8.0?

hmm... does that mean my knowledge is wrong? Oh no.. got to go back to the book.

the stop of light should be
f/1.4
f/2.0f/2.8
f/4.0f/5.6
f/8.0
f/11

Is 1 stop after f5.6 be f/8.0?

hmm... does that mean my knowledge is wrong? Oh no.. got to go back to the book.

yes u are right above.

But i was refering to the sigma 50-500 at the 500mm end the aperture is f/6.3 and not f/5.6

yes u are right above.

But i was refering to the sigma 50-500 at the 500mm end the aperture is f/6.3 and not f/5.6

Oh i see.. Thanks.

Have you shot the birds at Sungei Buloh with your 50-500 already? If you do, then you have your answer - look at the photographs you've taken and ask whether the pics are still achievable if you had 1 or 2 stops less light and whether the gain from getting a 1.4x or 2x magnification is worth it.

it's F/6.3 at 500mm

The aperture range for the Sigma 50-500 is 4-6.3. That I believe means at 50mm, the aperture wide open is f/4 while at 500mm, the aperture wide open is f/6.3.

Question: I am using an EOS30. When I used the 50-500mm with my camera, the widest reading at 500mm as indicated on the viewfinder is f/5.6 and not f/6.3. How is that so?? :confused:

Originally posted by erwinx

Have you shot the birds at Sungei Buloh with your 50-500 already? If you do, then you have your answer - look at the photographs you've taken and ask whether the pics are still achievable if you had 1 or 2 stops less light and whether the gain from getting a 1.4x or 2x magnification is worth it.

Haven't got the chance. Everytime I go there, the birds are just not there! :( Just my luck! Thanks for the suggestion, erwinx. Maybe I will drop by after CNY to try some shoots there!

I am not sure if u mean lcan't AF due to "low light" or lose the function of AF.

14x TC lose 1 stop and 2x TC lose
2stop.

You can still use fast shutter speed if the iso is high or it's a very sunny day.

Thanks! According to Sigma website and if I read correctly, sticking the teleconverter will cause the Sigma 50-500 to lose its AF function.

Originally posted by oceanxp

haven't try .. a first look is that the view is very dark ... unless you are in bright sunny day then it might turn out good ?

with the 2x it became longer and as a results it is very difficult to take still picture even with my 055pro tripod with the action grip gear ball..

take note Apecture becomes F11 after attaching the 2x

here is some interesting link .. not sure if the fotos are real
http://www.belgiumdigital.be/albums/canon_d60/sigma_1600/
http://www.vividlight.com/articles/413.htm

i will take some shots with 2x if i gotten some time =D

Thanks! I guess sticking the 2X teleconverter will really slow the lens down! Maybe not so suitable to shoot fauna but better for inanimated objects. :)

Pro body like EOS 1v/D/Ds or 3 can AF at f8. I also have no idea whether f5.6 on 50-500 causes underexpose, which is 1/3 stop. But with cheating camera, 50-500 can do AF at f6.3. Coz I shoot mainly digital with D60, underexosure a little bit is never a problem to me. I seldom try my 1.4x TC on 50-500 unless shooting the moon. I already have 1.6x FLM on my D60.:)

Question: I am using an EOS30. When I used the 50-500mm with my camera, the widest reading at 500mm as indicated on the viewfinder is f/5.6 and not f/6.3. How is that so?? :confused:

remember aperature number equal lens opening. even tho your camera is showing f5.6 , your lens is actually opening at f6.3 . it just never show on your camera. don't have to worry about it.

Originally posted by ninelives

remember aperature number equal lens opening. even tho your camera is showing f5.6 , your lens is actually opening at f6.3 . it just never show on your camera. don't have to worry about it.

Thanks for the clarification!! ;)

Originally posted by tomshen
Pro body like EOS 1v/D/Ds or 3 can AF at f8. I also have no idea whether f5.6 on 50-500 causes underexpose, which is 1/3 stop. But with cheating camera, 50-500 can do AF at f6.3. Coz I shoot mainly digital with D60, underexosure a little bit is never a problem to me. I seldom try my 1.4x TC on 50-500 unless shooting the moon. I already have 1.6x FLM on my D60.:)

Hi tom!

Thanks for the answer. Just a bit confused here. What is the difference between the 1.4x TC and 1.6x FLM? :confused:

BTW, how is it that u seldom use the 1.4x TC? Is it that you are getting most of your shots without the TC?

I have read quite a number of positive review of this Sigma 50-500, wonder what is the best price now for this lens. Plan to include this in my bag. Please advise. Thank you.

Originally posted by erwinx
If you do, then you have your answer - look at the photographs you've taken and ask whether the pics are still achievable if you had 1 or 2 stops less light and whether the gain from getting a 1.4x or 2x magnification is worth it.

It's worse that just 1 or 2 stops. By increasing your focal length by 1.4x or 2x, you need a 1.4x or 2x faster shutter speed, tripod or not. Don't make the simpleton mistake of just assuming it's just the light loss from the TC.

Of course, if you want to stack converters then it gets even worse. Quality drops, contrast is horrible, you lose 3 stops of light AND need a three times faster shutter speed. If you've been to Sungei Buloh and stacked lenses, then look at the photographs you've taken and ask whether the pics are still good. If you think so, good for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.