Sigma 30mm f1.4 for Pentax; any others?

Chowm4

Jul 23, 2009
I'm thinking of acquiring a fast prime lens in the range 30mm-35mm (45-50mm 35 equiv.) for mainly portraits (indoor babies & children). I narrowed down to 3 options: Pentax 35mm f2.4, 35mm f2.8, & Sigma 30mm f1.4. I think only the Sigma qualifies as a fast prime. Would like to solicit some feedback from fellow Pentaxians who have used the Sigma 30mm f1.4. Market price is about $700+. Are there other alternatives that I've missed? Thanks.

I'm thinking of acquiring a fast prime lens in the range 30mm-35mm (45-50mm 35 equiv.) for mainly portraits (indoor babies & children). I narrowed down to 3 options: Pentax 35mm f2.4, 35mm f2.8, & Sigma 30mm f1.4. I think only the Sigma qualifies as a fast prime. Would like to solicit some feedback from fellow Pentaxians who have used the Sigma 30mm f1.4. Market price is about $700+. Are there other alternatives that I've missed? Thanks.

Uhhhh did you consider arguably the best Pentax prime lens ever?

FA 31mm Limited Review - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

It may be "just" F1.8 and it may cost in excess of 1.2k brand new but it is magic in a useful focal length ;)

Chowm4 said:

I love the affordable,light and fast Pentax 35mm F2.4.You can find similar lens on BnS(Buy and Sell) section at reasonable price.

FA 35mm f2?

used to own it but sold it off after i got my FA 31...

Last edited:

$700+? I bought grey set for just $483.

Fast prime in the old days even meant f4. :D
f2.8 and below are certainly considered fast primes, don't need to be f1.4

Anyway, Sigma 30/1.4 is nice. Fast and center sharp, which can add to apparent sharpness. However, it is never evenly sharp, so for stuff than needs more even sharpness (eg. detail work, landscapes), not as ideal. Not as well rounder a lens imho.

DA35/2.4, very value for money. Fast in most respects, even sharpness and very sharp from wide open. Downside is its f2.4 or course compared to some other options.

DA35ltd/2.8 macro. Very nicely constructed (ltd quality). Macro, which can be very useful. Walkabout and take photos of normal stuff, see nice small things like flowers, just go up close and shoot them. That's its advantage.

There is also the FA35/2, the slightly faster brother of the DA35/2.4 and one of the best primes ever made (said by Mike Johnston of the Online Photographer... not me :D ) the FA31ltd .

Last edited:
wrx_sti_22b said:
$700+? I bought grey set for just $483.

Where did you buy? PM me please... Looking for 1 too!

wrx_sti_22b said:
Bought at D D Electronics late last year i think. But they upped their price already.

Oh ya... It's $610 last I checked... :/

Oh ya... It's $610 last I checked... :/

Yah loh, before this price, i bought at $483 !?! Then they upped their price. Furthermore, is the matt finishing new stock. Not the older crinkle glitter soft touch finishing...

Oh well... Haha! Guess i'll try search from alternative.. Haha!

Thanks for all your feedback. FA31 Ltd is too expensive for me; FA35 f2 is out of production, I think, so may not be able to get a new one.
Appreciate pinholecam's feedback on Sigma 30mm. I guess the most cost effective lens for me is the DA 35mm f2.4. Hope I don't have to use flash on my baby when using 35mm f2.4 indoor.

which cam are you using? if you are using k-x or the models after that..can up iso..for me when i take pics of my little nephews at home..i dun use flash also..iso 1600 and about f2.8 shld be fine for most conditions

Thanks for all your feedback. FA31 Ltd is too expensive for me; FA35 f2 is out of production, I think, so may not be able to get a new one.
Appreciate pinholecam's feedback on Sigma 30mm. I guess the most cost effective lens for me is the DA 35mm f2.4. Hope I don't have to use flash on my baby when using 35mm f2.4 indoor.

Just read this thread. You're using it for your baby? May I ask how old he/she is?

I just took some photos of my friend's newborn baby (6 weeks old) last month. Also has a 22 month old girl. If totally newborn, then the slower speeds won't matter, because the babies tend to sleep a lot and will be quite still.

It's only when they get a few months older they get rather fidgety, and, of course, when they start to crawl and walk they're like grease lightning (the 22 month old)!

What I'm getting at is- if your baby is really really young, then you can get the cheaper 35mm f2.4 now, and you still have a few months to save up for an even faster lens for when they really won't keep still! :)

Now I'm no expert, but IMHO, please note that you'll need really good light though, even with the 30mm f1.4. This is because the dslr's still need 1-2 seconds to AF, and they won't be able to lock on easily in poor light, regardless of how fast the lens is. In fact, if you make the section of focus too thin (ie f1.4) it wont be able to focus at all (low light + constantly moving subject = no photo + frustrated parent/photgrapher)

DA35/2.4 is indeed value for money.
JohnTaylor gave some very good advise above on baby age and their movement (or lack of in the 1st few months)

On flash and other stuff, here is a thread I have some time ago.
Hope it will be helpful to you.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/pentax/698116-taking-photos-my-child-thread.html

which cam are you using? if you are using k-x or the models after that..can up iso..for me when i take pics of my little nephews at home..i dun use flash also..iso 1600 and about f2.8 shld be fine for most conditions

I'm using K5, but would like to keep the ISO as low as possible. Thanks for the tip.

Just read this thread. You're using it for your baby? May I ask how old he/she is?

My 3rd child is due in July. I know it's a bit early, but I don't have good experience w/ prime lens. Have always used zoom lens & not skillful enough to use prime lens. So I want to get a good prime & practice now. Thanks for the tips.

DA35/2.4 is indeed value for money.
JohnTaylor gave some very good advise above on baby age and their movement (or lack of in the 1st few months)

On flash and other stuff, here is a thread I have some time ago.
Hope it will be helpful to you.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/pentax/698116-taking-photos-my-child-thread.html

I didn't know about the taking-children-photos thread before, thanks for starting that thread. I'm going over to that thread to ask you (& others) some advices, so pls check. :) From the feedback gathered above, I think I won't get the Sigma 30mm. Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to my questions; very helpful.