Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 DC Macro VS Tamron 17-50 f2.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaybaokong

Jan 10, 2007
Hi all,

Am thinking of getting the above in replace for my kit lens ie: 18-55mm IS cos I prefer wider aperture.

Was recommended the above 2 lens and also I did some reading up, and apparently there are a lot of discussions on Tamron 17-50, but not that much on Sigma.

My current gear is Canon 450D, 18-55mm IS, 50mm IS F1.8 and 55-250mm IS.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Hi,

thanks for your pics..why is it that i need to send the lens down to re-caliberate with my cam body?

I read that the main difference is the nosie when focusing.. Tamron produces more noise as compared to Sigma..

if i'm not wrong, the Sigma's build quality is also much sturdier compared with the Tamron.
That explains the price difference as well.

i'd say the sigma,

it's on hell of a good lens,

and i trust it more then tamron.

tamron's build quality to me seems worst...

sigma term DC = nikon DX...for digital sensor...

the calibration is a 1 time thing,don't worry too much abt it.

i tried the sigma 18-50, the tokina 16-50 n the tamron 17-50 before buying.

tokina has the best build,then sigma then tamron.

i like the sigma cos it can go marco.

alright.. thanks for all the advice.. will go and try it out soon..

Hi all,

Am thinking of getting the above in replace for my kit lens ie: 18-55mm IS cos I prefer wider aperture.

Was recommended the above 2 lens and also I did some reading up, and apparently there are a lot of discussions on Tamron 17-50, but not that much on Sigma.

My current gear is Canon 450D, 18-55mm IS, 50mm IS F1.8 and 55-250mm IS.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks.
actually your system is pretty okay...why not get a 10-20mm ultra wide angle instead to cover the entire range.

I thought the idea of buying lenses was not to "cover the entire range", but to buy the best lens that one can afford/willing to spend, for the kind of photography he/she normally does?

I would think that both lens are equally good but it will still be best that you go and have a try out on the 2 lens and determine which one you like most in terms of build and IQ.

I thought the idea of buying lenses was not to "cover the entire range", but to buy the best lens that one can afford/willing to spend, for the kind of photography he/she normally does?

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

exactly!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.