Sigma 18-50 DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

nie

Dec 26, 2003
Looking for a wide angle lens and came across the Sigma 18-50 DC. Anyone out there using it? Seems to be pretty affordable but would like to know from the users about the quality. Also do indicate how much you got it for. Anyone selling it can also PM me.

Also, the 'widest' lens I have now is at 28mm, so at 18mm, will it be much more wider? Sorry for the trouble, I am very new to photography.

Thank you very much.

nie said:
Looking for a wide angle lens and came across the Sigma 18-50 DC. Anyone out there using it? Seems to be pretty affordable but would like to know from the users about the quality. Also do indicate how much you got it for. Anyone selling it can also PM me.

Also, the 'widest' lens I have now is at 28mm, so at 18mm, will it be much more wider? Sorry for the trouble, I am very new to photography.

Thank you very much.

Quality is bad when wide open, soft + quite a fair bit of CA. Stopped down it's much sharper, CA still there but reduced.

It is as cheap as you can get, for 18mm. I bought the lens to use at 18mm primarily, with some convenience to zoom to 50mm.

18mm is very much wider than 28mm. It gets "exaggerated" at the wide end, eg 18mm vs 20mm is much more than 40mm vs 42mm. Just divide the figures out and look at the percentage. :) 20/18 and 42/40.

2100 said:
Quality is bad when wide open, soft + quite a fair bit of CA. Stopped down it's much sharper, CA still there but reduced.

It is as cheap as you can get, for 18mm. I bought the lens to use at 18mm primarily, with some convenience to zoom to 50mm.

18mm is very much wider than 28mm. It gets "exaggerated" at the wide end, eg 18mm vs 20mm is much more than 40mm vs 42mm. Just divide the figures out and look at the percentage. :) 20/18 and 42/40.

thank you for the info. by saying "Stopped down it's much sharper", care to share at around what f stop can we get shaper images? also thinking of getting this lens for the 18mm end only, for landscape shots. btw, is this the most affordable wide angle around?

It's hard to quantify what is sharp enough. Generally, F5.6 or F8 should show noticeable differences.

Even though I have a Nikon 18-35mm, I got this lens due to it's price, lightweight, and slightly wider focal range. Performs decently at this price for me even when shot wide open.

If a digital SLR is what u have only, go for it. Hard to beat at this price and quality.

Only slight irritating thing is when trying to mount or dismount the lens, the zoom ring and the focus ring is easy to rotate along with your twisting motion as the lens is very short, and the rings resistance is very light.

nie said:
thank you for the info. by saying "Stopped down it's much sharper", care to share at around what f stop can we get shaper images? also thinking of getting this lens for the 18mm end only, for landscape shots. btw, is this the most affordable wide angle around?

Ard f8-f11. Standard apertures lar. You do not need much shutter speed to handhold at 18mm, so no big deal even if you use ISO 200. :) It is pretty sharp to print good stuff to as large as S8R. Yes, it's the cheapest WA if you use digital bodies. The next one would be tokina 19-35? something like that.

Think mscolour selling at $185.

finkster said:
Only slight irritating thing is when trying to mount or dismount the lens, the zoom ring and the focus ring is easy to rotate along with your twisting motion as the lens is very short, and the rings resistance is very light.

I find the lens mount to be very tight, so gotta twist with quite a fair bit of force (relative to my other lenses) before i could dismount. I thought it was stuck when i was trying it out! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.