Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigletnpiggy

Mar 19, 2005
Hi,

I am considering getting something in the range of 18-200mm.
I came across this particular lens and was wondering how's the experience of those of you who have used this lens before?

Also does Tamron have something similar with image stabiliser as well?

Thanks for sharing.

On the hands of an exp user, this lens can produce solid images..
Check out this http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376633
All images there is produce by the 18-200. Good for walkaround and shots with good light. However, if you plan to shoot in low light, you would need something like F2.8 - F1.8 at least. So when I first started, I got this 18-200 as well as a Canon 50mm F1.8 to cover most scenerio.

Good lens to have for a start. Like m3lv1nh0, I had this and a 50mm f/1.8 before I finally sold it and got a Canon 70-200mm and a Tamron 28-75mm to cover the range (sort of).

There is one thing I noticed about this lens though, when OS is turned on, the image in the view finder will jump a little when focusing. I've been told this is just the OS working, I even went to Sigma to get it checked out, and thats what the fella there told me. He gave me several copies to try too. Seems like its true. Not sure if this issue applies to all lenses with Image Stabilizers though as this is the only IS/OS lens I have ever owned.

Anyway, on the whole, its a pretty good lens to start with, great as a walk about lens and also good to see what range of focal length you use most. ;) (Thats what I used to say to convince myself, but up to now, I'm still down with the BBB syndrome. Still buying lenses that I don't use often. D'oh! :bsmilie:)

Thanks for your comments.

It sounds like a good lens for beginner like me :)

I already have the 50mm and considering getting the Tamron 17-50, and perhaps a 18-200mm as well.

Think these 2 plus the 50mm should be able to last me for quite sometime.

I also trying not to fall into the BBB syndrome.. hehhehe.. thats why I have been trying to do as much reading up on the forums as possible so that i dun buy anything redundant.

Thanks for sharing!

Diana.

I already have the 50mm and considering getting the Tamron 17-50, and perhaps a 18-200mm as well.

I also trying not to fall into the BBB syndrome.. hehhehe.. thats why I have been trying to do as much reading up on the forums as possible so that i dun buy anything redundant.

Thanks for sharing!

Diana.

Thanks for sharing!

Diana.

Thanks for sharing!

Diana.

Iam new to dslr too, I have tamron 17-50 and I`m willing to cover the rest with tamron 28-300 vc...

Status
Not open for further replies.