Sigma 18-200mm DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

clicknick

Apr 13, 2005
Hougang
Hi, so far I have seen alot of interest in Tamron 18-200mm in CS, and have seen some samples posted, but none for Sigma 18-200mm.

Anyone here own the Sigma 18-200mm? Care to share your experience with this lens and post some of your samples?

I'm just curious to know why the Tamron seems more popular than the Sigma when it's more expensive than Sigma. Thanks.

the tamron was $560 at AP afew months back
the sigma cheaper than that?

EiRiK said:
the tamron was $560 at AP afew months back
the sigma cheaper than that?

Equote from MS Color 19-June-05
1.Tamron (Canon mount)AF18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di-II $625(inc.gst)
2.Sigma (Canon mount)18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC $560(inc.gst)

Equote from AP 7-June-05
1) Tamron AF18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO - S$600
2) Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC - S$585
*Price quoted before gst

Phone Quote from TK Fototechnic
Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC - S$560

There's a comparison of these two lens in June's Practical Photography, Sigma's metal mount and better controlled barrel distortion at wide angle, was preferred by the reviewer over Tamron.

Still it'll be better if you go down to MS Color, try both lens yourself.

Xing said:
There's a comparison of these two lens in June's Practical Photography, Sigma's metal mount and better controlled barrel distortion at wide angle, was preferred by the reviewer over Tamron.

Still it'll be better if you go down to MS Color, try both lens yourself.

Hi, I don't have Practical photography, library have or not? :( Maybe I go Popular and flip.

I am also curious about testing. When u mean go down and test, do you mean go down, test both lens take a few pictures, then go home upload to PC and see the quality? What do you tell them when u test, that u just want to test, not going to buy immediately? Will MS Color allow this?

i just read through the dpreview forums. seems like the nikon users prefer the tamron whereas the canon users prefer sigma.

now im more confused :dunno:

so what's the verdict on practical photography? was the reviewer using a nikon or canon?

Xing has very kindly provided me with a copy of the review. Thank you Xing.

Extracts from the review (very short review for each lens, no comparison pics)

Sigma
------------
Handling: 4*
Feature: 4*
Image Quality: 3*
Value: 4*

Better distortion
Corners soft at wide and tele
Metal mount, better built
Sharpnest is OK only

Tamron
-----------
Handling: 3*
Feature: 4*
Image Quality: 3*
Value: 3*

Distortion at 18mm
Corners soft at Tele
Pincushion well controlled at Tele
Focusing ring too lose

Amatuer Photography mag also has a review for these lens, and favours the Tamron.

I like to ask.. whats the different between the 2 tamron lens mention?

Tamron AF18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO ( The marco mention here, does it means it can be used as a macro lens too?)

babyahboy said:
I like to ask.. whats the different between the 2 tamron lens mention?

Tamron AF18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO ( The marco mention here, does it means it can be used as a macro lens too?)

that the minimum focus length is shorter (think the sigma one is also the same ... )
i.e you can get closer to your subject

i am using this len... :)

sweeper said:
that the minimum focus length is shorter (think the sigma one is also the same ... )
i.e you can get closer to your subject

i am using this len... :)

Thanks for the explaination.

so i suppose this lens would be better than Tamron (Canon mount)AF18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di-II right? or am i wrong? :embrass:

Check out some photo below taken by tamron 18 - 200 (nikon mount)

laofuzi.photoviki.com

Wah, this is bad, the Tamron 18-200 fans are invading this thread ;)

Really so bad ah, NOBODY uses Sigma 18-200mm in CS at all????? Any Sigma users care to say something about the lens?

Sigma one is newer if I'm not wrong, whereas Tamron 18-200 has been released for quite a while.

mpenza said:
Sigma one is newer if I'm not wrong, whereas Tamron 18-200 has been released for quite a while.

so far i have been searching and also cant find any sigma 18-200 lens user...
and only tamron 18-200 user and alot of gd feedback from them instead of sigma

Googled for the reviews on these two lens, but I am inclined toward Sigma over Tamron.

i think both r equally good.. just that which brand u prefer only...
I personally dont like sigma due to the lousy qty been produce and tamron are much toward nikon standard...

end of the day, the most impt factor is still depend on the camera men skill... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.