Sigma 18-125mm F3.5-5.6 DC experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Goi

ClubSNAP Idol
Staff member
Hi to all.

I'm appealing to hear from the users' experience of this lens, relative to lenses like the the EF-S 18-55mm. Heard that earlier batch suffered front focusing problems ... :cool:

TIA! ;)

My experience while testing this lens out in MS Color:

AF a bit noisy compare to Canon's USM motor,
AF a bit slow...

RossChang said:
My experience while testing this lens out in MS Color:

AF a bit noisy compare to Canon's USM motor,
AF a bit slow...
tested after DH#2, sometime back yeah? ;)

AdamGoi said:
Well I'd expect slower AF and noiser mechanism given it does not have USM ... how about the optics?

TIA! ;)

Yah slower and noiser AF..as usual for all non-Canon lenses. I tried it once...Not bad as compared to my 28-105 USM 2. Feel like slightly sharper and better contrast.

Not bad for a 500+ bucks lens. Think will get 1 for walk-ard lens. :)

This lens have a good distance scale.

In low light, focusing can be quite bad at the short end. The distance scale will land at a random postion if it fails. However, focusing at the long end is very good at low light.

If you've achieve focus at the long end, the distance indicator does not move at all if you zoom out and AF the same subject. This means that during low light, if the AF fails at the short end you can zoom in to focus, switch to MF, then zoom out to take the shot.

This is not a very sharp lens. I think the EFS is sharper. The AF is noisier and slower than EFS 18-55mm. However the 125 end is very VERY useful. You basically don't have to switch lenses at all.

The only reservation I have is this lens is made for 1.6X DSLR. But as long as Canon is still producing EFS lens, I think the 1.6X DSLR is here to stay. I'm looking forward for the Sigma's new 18-50mm F2.8 to arrive.

Personally feel it's a very sharp lens. Good for travel. Hope it can be slightly wider to use on 1.6x dslr. Of cos noiser and slower than USM. But it's not that slow. acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.