Sigma 18-125 mm DC lens, arrived ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
THanks Vin Bro ! ;)

I heard tat it is actual 18 mm, is it true ?

Do share with us if u have more findings ;)

fee like getting it too

NiVleK said:
Vin: Any vignetting as documented at the 18mm mark? Which body are u using?

I'm using the Canon EOS300D. Vignetting at 18mm only occurs at smaller f stops. There are some discussion on this at dpreview. I did not have any pictures taken under those settings. The closest is this picture I've taken at 18mm f7.1. It might not be the "ideal picture" to check vignetting.

Anyhow, can you see any?

13Copy_of_IMG_1180.JPG

Reyon said:
THanks Vin Bro ! ;)

I heard tat it is actual 18 mm, is it true ?

Do share with us if u have more findings ;)

fee like getting it too

No. For EOS300D you need to multiply by a factor of 1.6. Since I've only have the kit lens to compare with. These are my personal observation.

1. Nosier during focusing
2. Slower auto focus speed
3. Better focusing ring

NiVleK said:
Somehow the image looks pretty flat to me.

Well, I'm still quite a newbie to the camera and photography. What do you mean by "flat"?

The reason why I bought this lens because it will serve as a good walk around lens for my coming vacation.

fyi, all the pictures are straight from the camera without any post processing done. With exception on the picture of the Shenton Way skyline (some exposure correction done).

"Flat" as in the colours are not coming out. The scene itself is not very striking, so a little post-processing helps but still...

example.jpg

A little levelling, noise removal, resize to web size, increase saturation and sharpening, here's the result.

There is some distortion from the curving of the lamp posts, so try to compose pictures with this lens w/o straight edges near the side of the picture.

chaotic said:
"Flat" as in the colours are not coming out. The scene itself is not very striking, so a little post-processing helps but still...

example.jpg

A little levelling, noise removal, resize to web size, increase saturation and sharpening, here's the result.

There is some distortion from the curving of the lamp posts, so try to compose pictures with this lens w/o straight edges near the side of the picture.

Hi Chaotic,

Thanks for the explanation and advise.

NiVleK,

I've visited your gallery and I must say they are very good. Just curious, what lens do you use with your 300D?

Vin said:
NiVleK,

I've visited your gallery and I must say they are very good. Just curious, what lens do you use with your 300D?

Thank you. :)

I think I still have lots to improve on. I am using mainly the kit lens + Sigma 70-300 APO II Marco. This sigma lens is cheap and gives good results. Thats why I was expecting a fair bit from this new lens.

hmmm 18-125 will be a 29-200mm lens on the 300D? hmm the amt of range that it covers...really makes it a pretty attractive/lazy man's lens :cool:

actionman said:
hmmm 18-125 will be a 29-200mm lens on the 300D? hmm the amt of range that it covers...really makes it a pretty attractive/lazy man's lens :cool:

That's why I've bought this lens.

hi Vin,

Care to show the Vignetting at 18mm only occurs at smaller f stops ?

It is clearly stated as a DC lens for APS-C DSLRs, vignetting for a 1.3x crop camera is to be expected.

Light falloff on APS-C(1.5x/1.6x) cameras is resolved at smaller apertures>f8 based on the samples online.

Reyon said:
hi Vin,

Care to show the Vignetting at 18mm only occurs at smaller f stops ?

I'll try to if I can find some time to do it as I'll be leaving soon for my vacation.

Will there be a possibilty that Sigma or any other Lens maker release a 18-70 lens that caters for full frame? :D

Then can use for both film SLR and the normal DSLRs.

mpenza said:
not yet, but there's a new Sigma 18-50 f/2.8.

That one is cropped for 1.5x view coz of DC denotation. Just saw Sigma 24-60/2.8 EX DG at AP. $640. DG means film can use, but they still specify "optimised for digital".

If the 18-50 is good, i may give up the tamron 28-75. But 12-24 i will still keep. Love the perspective and angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.