Sigma 170-500 Field test

Status
Not open for further replies.

ortega

Nov 2, 2004
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
forgive my bad test method

All images taken with a D70 handheld and are 100% crop
Yes I konw i should have used a tripod, but i did not want to bring my tripod to work

So here it goes

_DSC8242.jpg

_DSC8243.jpg

So Bigma or 170-500 better?

I thought sigma has a lock to prevent lens creep. Anyway how much did you pay for this lens and how is the auto focus?

smtan24 said:
I thought sigma has a lock to prevent lens creep. Anyway how much did you pay for this lens and how is the auto focus?
the lock is for storage, not while in use

if you want to shoot up you will need to hold the lens

Hmm .. at least we now have some reference. Was looking for shots with this lens during my consideration for long range.

The lens i tested at the IT fair with a D70 was painfully slow and noisy for the AF motor.
Those seeking a lens with faster response should be better off with the bigma for 3rd party.

not bad at all for handheld shots.....:)
should do wonders if used on a tripod or on a minolta body with AS.....
is it cheaper than the tamron 200-500mm which is around $1650?

dEthANGeL said:
Hmm .. at least we now have some reference. Was looking for shots with this lens during my consideration for long range.

The lens i tested at the IT fair with a D70 was painfully slow and noisy for the AF motor.
Those seeking a lens with faster response should be better off with the bigma for 3rd party.
from my limited experience, this lens does not work well in low light situations
but is fine on bright sunny days, which you need to get 1/500s shutter speed and at least F8 or F9 aperture.

kross said:
not bad at all for handheld shots.....:)
should do wonders if used on a tripod or on a minolta body with AS.....
is it cheaper than the tamron 200-500mm which is around $1650?
yes a good sturdy tripod would do the trick.

or the new pantax also with the anti camera shake thingy

ortega said:
yes a good sturdy tripod would do the trick.

or the new pantax also with the anti camera shake thingy

If I am not wrong, the new Pentax DSLR with the built-in anti-shake works only with Pentax lenses. It doesn't work with 3rd party lenses.

i think pentax also dun support HSM. so focusing still using micro motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.