sigma 17-70mm. need some opinions on this lenses.

af2373

Oct 12, 2004
winning harbour
currently having the K-X 18-55mm & 50-200mm dual kit lenses.

i somehow feel at 55mm, it's a bit limiting. to swop lenses all the time for that bit more reach is troublesome when doing walkabout.

no qualms abt 50mm-200mm.....it's a good lenses. now contemplating on whether to sell the 18-55mm kit lenses n get the sigma. or is there another alternative out there which i missed out?

thanks in advance~~~ ;)

might want to consider the Sigma/Tamron 28-300mm if you are looking for an all rounder and do not use wide angle frequently....otherwise the 18-200 comes to mind.

otherwise the 17-70 is a good option, i think airconvent is selling his copy at buy and sell...drop him a PM.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693315

Last edited:
It is a good lens that can be very sharp that i use often. So often that sometimes do not wish to take it off.

What is the biggest technical difference between sigma 17-70 vs tamron 17-50? Which is better? Actually, I wanted to buy the tamron 17-50, but suppplier is out of stock.. So, I am looking for alternative lens. I am taking pics of mostly pets, so I need fast lens with good low light capability.

What is the biggest technical difference between sigma 17-70 vs tamron 17-50? Which is better? Actually, I wanted to buy the tamron 17-50, but suppplier is out of stock.. So, I am looking for alternative lens. I am taking pics of mostly pets, so I need fast lens with good low light capability.
in my experience with pets, only go close range if confident the pet is very well trained otherwise might want to consider something with longer range like 70-200mm.

another lens you can consider will be the 28-75 f2.8 which is around same price as the 17-50 f2.8 itself.

If you are more into portrait style, can wait for Sigma 85 f1.4 to make its debut.

Sigma 17-70 has a longer reach. I have used it before and it is a great lens to use even indoors.

If you cannot get the 17-50, get the 17-70 from sigma instead and this lens has macro too . . .

Sigma 17-70 has a longer reach. I have used it before and it is a great lens to use even indoors.

If you cannot get the 17-50, get the 17-70 from sigma instead and this lens has macro too . . .
Thks for the info! I will go and enquire the sigma 17-70mm from Quek later... :) Hopefully got stock.... I think I will buy the one with HSM coz it is faster and quieter... Hehehe... :thumbsup:

Thks for the info! I will go and enquire the sigma 17-70mm from Quek later... :) Hopefully got stock.... I think I will buy the one with HSM coz it is faster and quieter... Hehehe... :thumbsup:

Just curious, does the Pentax version have HSM for the new version?

The F2.8-4.5 is a good lens but I have not tried the F2.8-4.0 version as yet. No time to KPO at shops . . .

in my experience with pets, only go close range if confident the pet is very well trained otherwise might want to consider something with longer range like 70-200mm.

another lens you can consider will be the 28-75 f2.8 which is around same price as the 17-50 f2.8 itself.

If you are more into portrait style, can wait for Sigma 85 f1.4 to make its debut.
Thks for your inputs! Do you take pics of your pets too? I have 4 ragdolls and 2 shelties... Hehehe... :) I tried to take pics of them using my kit lens, but they are soo hyperactive... So, many of the pics turned out blurr... But maybe it is not caused by the lens, but by the photographer himself... LOL.... ;) I just read about the latest sigma 85mm F1.4.. Dunno when will this lens reach Singapore...

Any idea of how much is the 28-75mm f2.8? is it from Sigma, Tamron, or Pentax.

Just curious, does the Pentax version have HSM for the new version?

The F2.8-4.5 is a good lens but I have not tried the F2.8-4.0 version as yet. No time to KPO at shops . . .

I'm using the F4.

Sharp at 17mm f2.8 (I can see defined eye lashes and pores at full body shot). my only complain is the sharpness falls off significantly after 33mm and relatively soft at 70mm. F8 at 70mm helps a fair bit.

Sigma 17-70mm at 70mm with be at f4.5 which the Tamron 17-50mm is a constant f2.8. I've owned the Sigma 17-70mm lens before and its a very good all rounder lens and if you get a good copy it will be give you nice and sharp photos but just to point out that even thou it state macro, it's just work more like a close up lens. ;)

Any idea of how much is the 28-75mm f2.8? is it from Sigma, Tamron, or Pentax.

The 28-75mm f2.8 is from Tamron and I used to have that. 2nd hand price is around $400-$450 depends on condition.

I'm using the F4.

Sharp at 17mm f2.8 (I can see defined eye lashes and pores at full body shot). my only complain is the sharpness falls off significantly after 33mm and relatively soft at 70mm. F8 at 70mm helps a fair bit.

Then the older F2.8-4.5 seems to be better . . .