Sigma 17-70mm (i made my decision!)

musebox

May 28, 2010
Hi Clubsnap People,
Not too long ago, i posted a thread looking for opinions on whether should i be getting the Sigma 17-70mm OS HSM Macro DC f2.8-4 or the Tamron 17-50 f2.8. Well, thanks to the many wonderful suggestions and opinions, i made my choice with the Sigma's 17-70mm and i certainly did not regret my decision.
There were many who also were in the dilemma like mine. So, as a little give back to the clubsnap community and for those who still have not made their decisions, here are some photos i took with my new lens and i hope this can help you guys determine what you want. As for the others, i believe you guys have encountered many photos on the internet but are never really quite sure if those were truly taken by the 17-70mm. Well, these pictures i post here are taken from my very own 17-70mm and they are not photoshoped in anyway. Fresh from my SD card!
Pictures might not be great but take it easy on me alright! I'm still learning! Besides, the main aim is to help justify the 17-70's photos. Haha :) Enjoy!

IMG_1800.JPG

IMG_19922.JPG

IMG_19961.JPG

IMG_20011.JPG

Last edited:
where are the pictures?? :dunno:

Here a few more...

IMG_18431.JPG

IMG_18831.JPG

IMG_18893.JPG

Not a bad choice, i just bought mine last 2 weeks and am very happy with it =D
A good walk-about lens and the built is awesome.
Enjoy your shoot and post more pictures!

Not a bad choice, i just bought mine last 2 weeks and am very happy with it =D
A good walk-about lens and the built is awesome.
Enjoy your shoot and post more pictures!

Thanks! Oh, but you might want to do a AF test with the charts, cause there tends to minor front focusing problem. Mine is about 4mm off to the front when it's at 70mm. But the problem isn't actually with the lens, but it's because it's calibrated for Sigma cameras.. so i'll be bringing it down for calibration tomorrow with my friend.
You keep enjoying your lens too, Sigma buddy!

hahaha, r u trying to tell us after buying the lens, u & ur dog have to eat grass liao?:bsmilie:

LOL! Well, all thanks to world cup and my naive imagination thinking that Holland might win, i could have been $200 better off! But well, I'm still not to the level of eating grass yet, but if i don't watch my spending till my next pay comes, i'll definitely be chewing on tree branches and leaves. Haha! My dog is so lucky! She gets a bigger portion of meat than i do!

how much did you bought the lens? and give us an info regarding the calibrating process of Sigma service center (like how much or how long does it take) Thanks a lot! :)

how much did you bought the lens? and give us an info regarding the calibrating process of Sigma service center (like how much or how long does it take) Thanks a lot! :)

Hey! Sure thing. If you buy your lens from a local dealer, there is a 3 years Sigma warranty and calibration is free. You need to call the Sigma HQ Singapore located at Queensway (the number can be found in the package of the lens).
If you purchase your lens from a foreign dealer like i did, there is no warranty (from sigma co. itself) and calibration will be about SGD$80. The Sigma center only services up to 4 lens a day so you will have to make an appointment which usually is about 2 weeks from the day you call. I bought my lens from a HK camera company tin cheung at $613 including shipping fees and there is a 1 year warranty from the tin cheung company. Be sure to select the mount that fits your camera model.
Hope this helps!

So far no issue with focusing *finger cross* lol
but some said if we send for calibration will make the lens sharper or what, im quite confused, but well if necessary will still bring it over for calibration.
hey $613 is good deal!
I bought for $720! =(

but some said if we send for calibration will make the lens sharper or what, im quite confused, but well if necessary will still bring it over for calibration.
hey $613 is good deal!
I bought for $720! =(

Congrats on your purchase! If due to focusing prob, calibration makes it focus better. If it's already sharp, calibration is redundant.

hey $613 is good deal!
I bought for $720! =(

Nice! Another 17-70 user! Haha. Oh ya, you might want to take a focus chart test to find out if your lens has any af problems? Cause when it comes to close-up shots, it can be quite obvious if it's not i focus. Anyway, 720 is still a good price.. I SLR-rev sells at 715 but needs to be paid in cash... and you do have the local warranty right? i don't have one so i got to really take good care of my lens!