Sigma 15-30mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Red Dawn, can I know your personal opinion abt this lens pls?

Originally posted by tomshen
Red Dawn, can I know your personal opinion abt this lens pls?

Hi

fine for general use, but for critically sharp work at wide open apertures of f3.5, i wouldn't recommend it. Definitely a bit on the soft side wide open. Distortion is pretty well controlled, and i have some prints from a film camera taken with this lens to see that. But there are others who have reported it's pretty bad on a film camera.....could be due to sample variations, but the one i had corrects distortion very well, and is sharp from f5.6 onwards...........if u're into landscapes and shoot a lot stopped down, you can consider this one. Fast focus too.

It flares quite easily however, with bright colourful purple dots all over indoors with bright ceiling lights. you may want to watch out for that!

there's no way for u to mount a filter on it. The flower hood is built in.

the lens is well built though. Solid build quality - no complains about that one.

All in all, i would say with digital SLRs, some of the edge softness is masked well. With film bodies though, u may want to consider. However, it's definitely not a bad lens. I need to shoot wide and fast a lot, and hence the reason why i sold it for something that is faster in terms of aperture.

Thanks, Red Dawn. I think you are pretty happy with your prime lenses. I am now in a dilemma of buying prime for its image quality and speed, or zoom for its wider angle and convenience. Sigh, very hard to decide...

I think my next lens will be this lens ... anyone know where to get the best price ?

Originally posted by Bluestrike

You might want to consider the 20-40/2.8 abt the same price too....

smaller and slightly lighter and can use filters...

me still like 15-30mm ... the review is better

this lens arh
the filter ring adapter seems to scratch away the paint from the lens. The adapter is metal the lens is also metal
so therefore both scratch loh

Originally posted by nicholas1986
this lens arh
the filter ring adapter seems to scratch away the paint from the lens. The adapter is metal the lens is also metal

is it really bad ? :dunno:

Originally posted by nicholas1986
this lens arh

alamak...how u all use one???

i never had this problem when i still had the lens, and this is the first time i've seen users report this problem, both on dpreview, here and other lens reviews site....

Originally posted by Red Dawn

alamak...how u all use one???

i never had this problem when i still had the lens, and this is the first time i've seen users report this problem, both on dpreview, here and other lens reviews site....

Well.. maybe you have not been using it much that why......

*too much of the 20mm liao!

Originally posted by megaweb

is it really bad ? :dunno:

Fading is one thing which i had yet to experience. BUt scratching is another.. that had happen to my lens

Perhaps i am a heavy user loh cos i shoot for school

;)

I think I will not get this lens for next SEED liao ... :( anyway thanks for the information ...

Status
Not open for further replies.