Sigma 15-30mm f3.5-4.5 EX Aspherical DG DF for $500 cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
as above!

condition wise, quite used. the fixed hood is full of those dried up sticky stuffs, like the owner pasted stuffs on it and he peeled off.

AF works well

focusing ring works well, but not that mint condition

clean inside. no fungus found.

for $500.. worth it?

brand new will cost you nearly double the price. If got warranty, its extra bonus. If not, if optics is fine, its a great buy! How I know? Used to own one myself ...

behyx said:
as above!

condition wise, quite used. the fixed hood is full of those dried up sticky stuffs, like the owner pasted stuffs on it and he peeled off.

AF works well

focusing ring works well, but not that mint condition

clean inside. no fungus found.

for $500.. worth it?

ydanz said:
brand new will cost you nearly double the price. If got warranty, its extra bonus. If not, if optics is fine, its a great buy! How I know? Used to own one myself ...

so what u own now? and how do u compare the sigma and your current one?

It's quite a good price if everything works well but the cosmetic.

so even in the worst scenario when there's no warranty, it's also a good deal at $500 ya?

*i took into consideration that this lens came out in 2001"...

there's one at TCW mounted on a D60. but the zoom ring is not smooth and got noisy sound... think it's around 500.

centrino said:
there's one at TCW mounted on a D60. but the zoom ring is not smooth and got noisy sound... think it's around 500.

the noisy sound is from where?

behyx said:
so what u own now? and how do u compare the sigma and your current one?

I use a 17-40 f4L now. The Sigma will still serve you well if budget is a contraint. FYI, I sold my 15-30mm at $700! It was well conditioned with an unfilled warranty card. I reckon the sacrifice of 2mm on the wide side is better for the gain of 10mm on the far side. I have covered couple of events with the 15-30mm, enough to pay for my 17-40mm.

And regarding the focussing noise, its something that you can overlook cos you can hardly hear it. Only people who shoot dead bodies in mortuaries would be bothered by it :bsmilie:

Also, the focusing speed is quite fast although it does not have HSM. Hope that helps ... prepare to spend a bit on the 82mm filter hor ...

behyx said:
the noisy sound is from where?
Of cos from the lens, inside don't know where... when i rotating the focal length ring.
As i have not used sigma lens before, thus dunno in fact it's normal or not.. But it sounds really something wrong to me, AF has no problem. BTW, this is just my personal opinion. you should try out urself lah....
maybe all sigma like that one... :dunno:

if there's problem with sigma lenses, where to get it repair and are their charges high?

IMHO $500 is cheap.

For this lens, the cosmetics is always a problem because the black paint coating will 'peal' with time. Especially at the hood area because the filter holder/lens cap goes on and off causing frequent wear and tear.

The second hand price is around $600 without warranty.

Anyway since the optics is good and AF working, it's worth buying.

But then this lens quite soft, not to the liking of many.......

oh yes, do check the front element, its the most vulnerable part of this lens.

And what do you mean when you say the MF ring not mint? The MF for this lens is slightly 'heavy'. As long as its smooth it should be alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.