Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 EX APO IF HSM Lens available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 16, 2002
Melbourne
For those telephoto junkies (like me ;p ), Sigma has apparently "stealth-launched" this lens into the retail market in the US.

Its available for order via B&H Photo site, and the price is listed at US$1,899, which is truly amazing, since the Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX APO HSM prime lens is priced at US$2,199. Shocking!!

Now to wait for the lens to land in Singapore.

Originally posted by ninelives
why so expensive??
don't u mean "why so cheap?" ;p

Consider this - you get a f/2.8 FIXED APERTURE ZOOM for US$300 less than the f/2.8 prime lens. What great value!!

Of course, some will say (and rightly too) that the prime will offer greater image quality, but if the zoom is gonna be more convenient.

See, now I can leave that 80-200mm f/2.8 and 300mm f/4 at home, take this one lens, couple with a 1.4x or 2x TC, and cowabunga, cover all angles from 120mm to 600mm.

Another US retailer: http://www.central-camera.com/sigma/sigma-intro.htm

sigma120300nws.jpg

Any reviews on optics? This will be a real hot baby if optics turns out good.

Originally posted by Darren
don't u mean "why so cheap?" ;p

Consider this - you get a f/2.8 FIXED APERTURE ZOOM for US$300 less than the f/2.8 prime lens. What great value!!

Of course, some will say (and rightly too) that the prime will offer greater image quality, but if the zoom is gonna be more convenient.

See, now I can leave that 80-200mm f/2.8 and 300mm f/4 at home, take this one lens, couple with a 1.4x or 2x TC, and cowabunga, cover all angles from 120mm to 600mm.

yes, a sigma zoom coupled with a sigma TC.

I can see the people selling away their Nikkor 80-200 AF-S and Canon 70-200L lenses already

Oh yeah, it weighs more than the Canon or Nikkor 300 f/2.8, so forget about handholding

:devil:

Beats me, these things happen. I've seen people throw away their Fuji and AFS glass before...

Seriously though, big decision time. The price is stupid and ridiculous. Hmm... might even save me having to buy a second body.

But like I said, I already think the 300/2.8 Sigma is too cheaply put together, I hazard to think about this based on the price.

It's reported kind soft at f2.8, and actually who cares about f11? If it's not sharp at f2.8, I dun think any TC is viable. Anyway, this will not be my lens given any price there. 70-200/f2.8 IS and 600/f4 is the combo for me.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.