Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

smtan24

Dec 21, 2005
Tampines
Has anybody used this lens before. Not much write up on it.

I was thinking of getting a wide angle lens next year. Review on it doesn't seem to be too good. But I was looking for FF wide angle lens so I can use both on my DSLR and SLR.

I was thinking of getting a wide angle lens next year. Review on it doesn't seem to be too good. But I was looking for FF wide angle lens so I can use both on my DSLR and SLR.
It depend on how wide you want it to be, Sigma 12-24mm actually is quite a good lens (with no CA), but heavy and no filter.
The rest of the ultra wide lens for Sony/KM system are:
Peleng 8mm
Sigma 10-20mm
Tamron 11-18mm
Sony/KM 11-18mm

less wide is
Sigma 15-30mm
KM 16mm FE
Zenitar 16mm FE.

What do you mean preview on it doesnt seem to good? As in you went to the shop and checked it out? If you are looking for a full-frame wide angle, the widest WA zoom is the sigma 12-24mm if I'm not mistaken. Other possible alternative is the Sigma 15-30mm.

It depend on how wide you want it to be, Sigma 12-24mm actually is quite a good lens (with no CA), but heavy and no filter.
Peleng 8mm
Sigma 10-20mm
Tamron 11-18mm
Sony/KM 11-18mm

If I'm not wrong the 11-18mm is for Digital and not full frame. Correct me if I'm wrong.

less wide is
Sigma 15-30mm
KM 16mm FE
Zenitar 16mm FE.

What do you mean preview on it doesnt seem to good? As in you went to the shop and checked it out? If you are looking for a full-frame wide angle, the widest WA zoom is the sigma 12-24mm if I'm not mistaken. Other possible alternative is the Sigma 15-30mm.

Seem this lens does not support filter and exhibits vignetting at the 12mm. I heard the Sigma 15-30mm has some problem in sharpness from what I read.

Seem this lens does not support filter and exhibits vignetting at the 12mm. I heard the Sigma 15-30mm has some problem in sharpness from what I read.
It support 82mm filter if with the hood on, but may vignet on full frame because of the filter, not sure about APS-C.

How does the Sigma 12-24 compares with the 10-20?

Peleng 8mm
Sigma 10-20mm
Tamron 11-18mm
Sony/KM 11-18mm

less wide is
Sigma 15-30mm
KM 16mm FE
Zenitar 16mm FE.

No CA...are you sure...it's known for quite strong CA...but CA is understandable.

You can put filter at the back of the lens...:rolleyes:

Sigma 10-20 is somehow slightly sharper and wider (on APS-C bodies) than Sigma 12-24. However, 10-20 has much stronger and pretty ugly distortion than 12-24 which has extremely well controlled distortion.

From 12mm to 10mm, this 2mm difference is quite a lot.

i dont have too much CA on this lense, but this lense is definitely proned to flares due to the curved front element. some photos have little pink spots due to the flare

I still had no chance to try the lens, but I guess I'm more or less set on buying it. The only problem now is $$$.

In any case, I had read that WA lenses are prone to CA.

yes, i've toyed around with a tokina 20-35 f2.8 and the CA is pretty bad. i've head the same thing about the wider zooms around too. i shot ff using my fm2 and especially toward the edges, definition was poor and purple fringing was quite pronounced. i think it might be a good idea to try primes especially if you shoot FF since 28mm can actually be quite sufficent and it doesnt cost as much as some of these zooms around.

No CA...are you sure...it's known for quite strong CA...but CA is understandable.

You can put filter at the back of the lens...:rolleyes:

Sigma 10-20 is somehow slightly sharper and wider (on APS-C bodies) than Sigma 12-24. However, 10-20 has much stronger and pretty ugly distortion than 12-24 which has extremely well controlled distortion.

From 12mm to 10mm, this 2mm difference is quite a lot.
miss-read some where :embrass:

Seems that the Sigma 12-24mm seem to have some problem. Maybe I should get the Minolta 17-35mm f/2.8-4.0. I wonn't get the super wide but I heard its a good lens.

Seems that the Sigma 12-24mm seem to have some problem. Maybe I should get the Minolta 17-35mm f/2.8-4.0. I wonn't get the super wide but I heard its a good lens.
or the coming Sony 16-35mm f/2.8 G :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.