Sigma 105 EX f2.8 Micro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tupi Guy

Jan 6, 2003
Anyone out there can share your experience with this lens?

Thinking of getting one for close up shoot. :)

Basically from Flowers to insects and abstract

Or any other lens to recommend?

Thanks alot

Jul 28, 2002
Singapore
Hi Charles,

For your info, all my flowers or macro shots (if you have already seen them) were shot with the mentioned Sigma 105mm lens. Despites a Sigma and not a Nikon macro lens, what it can produce have never failed to amaze me.

Technically, most lenses out there are better or over-rated than most users around, including myself. So, I would be contented to own any of these macro lenses:

1) Tamron 90mm
2) Sigma 105mm
3) Nikon 105mm

Reviews/rating I had read for the above 3 lenses three years ago and also recently this year was ranked the same as above.

Tupi Guy

Jan 6, 2003
jasphotography said:
Hi Charles,

For your info, all my flowers or macro shots (if you have already seen them) were shot with the mentioned Sigma 105mm lens. Despites a Sigma and not a Nikon macro lens, what it can produce have never failed to amaze me.

Technically, most lenses out there are better or over-rated than most users around, including myself. So, I would be contented to own any of these macro lenses:

1) Tamron 90mm
2) Sigma 105mm
3) Nikon 105mm

Reviews/rating I had read for the above 3 lenses three years ago and also recently this year was ranked the same as above.

Hi Jas,

Thanks for your info. These help alot :)

tg

Tupi Guy

Jan 6, 2003
jasphotography said:
Hi Charles,

1) Tamron 90mm
2) Sigma 105mm

if not including Nikon. These two lenses, which will be a better performance?
Such as AF? Image quality?

Thanks pal for your feedback :)

mr_jason

Jul 22, 2003
Singapore
www.pbase.com
Price wise, nothing beats the Sigma 105mm. Image quality out of the lens is also good. The only thing I don't like about the lens is it's build quality. To me it feels terrible. You've got to actually feel it to see if you'll like it.

The Tamron 90mm is a fantastic lens. Slightly more expensive than the Sigma. Sharper and better pictures. But some people don't like the focusing clutch mechanism of this lens. Heard that there's a new version of this lens coming out soon.

Quality wise you can't go wrong with the 3 Macro lenses (3rd one Nikor 105mm). It just depends which build you like more, and what price you're willing to pay for it. Have a feel and decide. :D

justarius

Nov 9, 2003
Northeast
Visit site
I've heard good things about the Tamron... though I've not used it, nor the Sigma. I do have the 105mm Nikkor though, and I can tell you that AF isn't very fast even on a F100. There is a focus limiting switch though, but I generally don't use AF when doing macro anyway, so the slow AF isn't really a bother. Built and image quality is excellent however.

Jul 28, 2002
Singapore
Tupi Guy said:
if not including Nikon. These two lenses, which will be a better performance?
Such as AF? Image quality?

Thanks pal for your feedback :)
I used to have the Sigma but now I have the Tamron which I have not put to use as yet to give you here a worthy comparison in terms of image quality.

But according to reviews (Practical Photography March issue 2004, you can borrow from me if you want to for a review of 10 macro lenses), the tamron has better image quality than the Sigma but not by much.

As for AF, both hunt like hell ... anyway, I usually use MF for macro.

As for handling, the Tamron is again a touch better as the manual focusing ring is smoother which makes minute adjustments easier.

So, you still want to borrow my PP? ;)

Tupi Guy

Jan 6, 2003
jasphotography said:
So, you still want to borrow my PP? ;)

That would great man... :)

Let me know when u free

Will PM you my hp :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom