Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6

Are you using a timer + Mirror Lock Up technique?

Timer is used (& hence SR off) but no i did not use mirror lock up... is mirror lock up automatically engaged when you are on timer or do i have to set it 1st?

but not one of my shots can come close to razor tack poke-your-eye-out sharp as supersimon's on his 8-16... its most likely down to his skill... envy...

Hi bro , I did sharpen my photo sometime :)

Proper sharpening also contributes to this,

Are you using a timer + Mirror Lock Up technique?

Yup bro . Rem that thread that you advice JJ on "USM" , after that I start to use that filter to sharpen my shots and it really work well . Thanks again for yr advice :)

Btw , how to do the Mirror Lock up Technique also ? I had never try it too

RAW files needs to be processed properly to bring out the true character of the pic. direct JPEG output or RAW that had not been processed will definitely not look as good.

Totally agreed . Shooting Jpec and Raw is so different .

Yup bro . Rem that thread that you advice JJ on "USM" , after that I start to use that filter to sharpen my shots and it really work well . Thanks again for yr advice :)

you got me curious now. what is this filter? :)

Pentax couples MLU with 2 second timer, that I know., I never use the 12 seconds? one, so dunno about that. Same for remote 3 second timer.

MLU simply flips the mirror up, before turning the sensor on to capture the image. This reduces vibration from the mirror movement.

USM = unsharp mask. I usually do it selectively after running the image through Noise Ninja (also selective). You can google on unsharp mask to find out more - for landscapes I like to use 100, 1.0, 0 levels. I think, if I don't remember wrongly.

Pentax couples MLU with 2 second timer, that I know., I never use the 12 seconds? one, so dunno about that. Same for remote 3 second timer.

MLU simply flips the mirror up, before turning the sensor on to capture the image. This reduces vibration from the mirror movement.

USM = unsharp mask. I usually do it selectively after running the image through Noise Ninja (also selective). You can google on unsharp mask to find out more - for landscapes I like to use 100, 1.0, 0 levels. I think, if I don't remember wrongly.

Sorry, do you mean remote 3 second timer also do the MLU thing?

Thanks for the info! Will definitely try on PS!!

RAW files from a camera with AA filters (e.g. the K-5) will usually benefit from some sharpening. The values to use for sharpening depends on a lot of factors, e.g. the ISO of the shot, the nature of the picture, the expected final output size of the picture etc, but the values suggested by edutilos are a good start - I usually start off from a base of 70 and increase form there, as I mostly shoot portraiture.

Protip for Lightroom users - hold down "alt" when changing sharpening values to get a more accurate preview of the effect of sharpening.

RAW files from a camera with AA filters (e.g. the K-5) will usually benefit from some sharpening. The values to use for sharpening depends on a lot of factors, e.g. the ISO of the shot, the nature of the picture, the expected final output size of the picture etc, but the values suggested by edutilos are a good start - I usually start off from a base of 70 and increase form there, as I mostly shoot portraiture.

Protip for Lightroom users - hold down "alt" when changing sharpening values to get a more accurate preview of the effect of sharpening.

Great tips! Thanks! For LR, is the sharpening function the same as USM in CS?

Unsharp Mask in Photoshop is actually a fairly crude way to sharpen, the Sharpen module in LR gives you finer control over the degree of sharpening.

More details in this article here

The most sophisticated sharpening option among LR and PS is still PS Smart Sharpen though.

Last edited:
Unsharp Mask in Photoshop is actually a fairly crude way to sharpen, the Sharpen module in LR gives you finer control over the degree of sharpening.

The most sophisticated sharpening option among LR and PS is still PS Smart Sharpen though.

Thanks Brian for the link!!

Agree. I tend to use layers to sharpen. :)

I have seen some web reviews citing that the Sigma 10-20mm is sharper than the Tamron 10-24mm. Anybody can compare the two? They are my choices right now for a good UWA (the Sigma 8-16 is also very desirable but cost 50% more...)

I have seen some web reviews citing that the Sigma 10-20mm is sharper than the Tamron 10-24mm. Anybody can compare the two? They are my choices right now for a good UWA (the Sigma 8-16 is also very desirable but cost 50% more...)

The Sigma 10-20mm should be sharper.

Anybody got the Tamron 10-24 with example shots? Love to see them, as the extra 4mm would make it a good walkabout lens. Saw on Ebay it's about the same price as the 10-20, without tax.

reign226 said:
Anybody got the Tamron 10-24 with example shots? Love to see them, as the extra 4mm would make it a good walkabout lens. Saw on Ebay it's about the same price as the 10-20, without tax.

Every single review I've seen indicates it suffers from corner softness to a significant degree. All UWA have this issue but not to that extent. You can check with Darren (darrr), think one of his friends bought it.

Every single review I've seen indicates it suffers from corner softness to a significant degree. All UWA have this issue but not to that extent. You can check with Darren (darrr), think one of his friends bought it.

No leh, I have the 12-24 and my brother has the 10-20. My friend wants to buy the 10-24 but I'm working on dissuading him from buying it lol