Sights of Japan

DN_14087+1000.jpg

most of the shot are slow shutter, time to setup tripod etc...you have a good partner who is willing to wait for you.

most of the shot are slow shutter, time to setup tripod etc...you have a good partner who is willing to wait for you.

Hi Michael, actually apart from #12 and #43 which are overnight star trails, only #7, #10, #21, #25 and #29 are shot with tripod. The rest are all quickly shot and go :)

run out of patience, and u better behave yourself....LOL

Haha that's absolutely true. In my first few years I used to shoot quite slowly and as you mentioned, opening tripods and slow shutters. People would get frustrated from waiting :p

These days after so many years of shooting company events and as a combat photographer in reservist, I now shoot pretty fast since everything happens in split seconds for those 2 genres. I usually end up with about 1200 shots per hour in those genres so that's about 1 shot every 3 seconds, of which 120 of them will be submit-able. In fact most of the time my 5D4's AF cannot keep up with me, much less my 5D3.

Although I still carry my tripod wherever I go during overseas, I rarely ever open it except for shooting star trails or if I felt the specific water scene would look nicer with shutter slower than 1/4s (which is my slowest shutter for handheld with a 70-200). I had also learnt throughout the years of shooting landscapes that 99.9% of the landscapes are not worth anything more than a quick press of the shutter as post-editing can usually fix 90% of the issues. Just be there when the light hits, bracket the shot, put down the camera and spend the rest of the time admiring the scene. As long as the base plate is shot right, the rest is just a matter of time in front of the computer.

As Arthur Fellig once said, "f/8 and be there" :)

And that was the last notable image from our 2 weeks holiday vacation :)

I had much joy while looking through my 16,000+ photos as it reminded me of all the good times that we had in Japan. Many of the places are really nice, especially when travelling further away from the cities. While I had done my best, many of the photos really failed to capture the overwhelming essence or mood of the place; you really have to experience it for yourself (i.e. Kurobe Gorge, Murodo, or even the Kuya waterfall).

Hope you guys had enjoyed looking at it as much as I did. I won't be going on anymore overseas trip nor be uploading anymore photos in this forum for the next couple of years as I await my second kid's arrival. So, until then :)

Screenshot_2019-11-25-14-55-44-655_com.homedev.locationhistory-01.jpg

Reactions: skf