sigh!.. using own camera for company project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine is King of Hell heheheh......

Care to guess when was the last time I managed to take more then 1 day off work? Try 7-8 yrs ago. I really need a job change. Anyway I don't blame him entirely ...it was my choice. I was also thinking about quality of work...like the other guy mentioned. When the company only get you lousy equipment to use...and you want to do a better job as it reflects on you...thus you get your own equipment. That is why I say..make sure you get some funny of of those things you purchase heheh if not...die.

wah! :eek:

welcome to Singapore! :eek:

Well, I was in the same situation too. The company was organizing a recognition event and I was put into the organizing committee by my boss. The purpose of putting me in the committee was solely for the purpose of nominating me as the event photographer as my boss have seen my equipment before.

I told my boss that I cannot just do it for free because I set myself a standard that I must maintain (within my limited experience)when involving photography. I know I will spend at least 2-3 nights after work till late going through the photos and my wife will definitely be very unhappy. So I was very firm and told him unless the company is willing to compensate for the time after office hours editing the photos or give me time off to do it.

In the end he relented by giving me time off but I decided it is better not to do it at all and step down from the committee in case there are controversies.

So it depends very much on you and what stand you want to make. I made mine and decided it's better not to do it after all.

Well, I was in the same situation too. The company was organizing a recognition event and I was put into the organizing committee by my boss. The purpose of putting me in the committee was solely for the purpose of nominating me as the event photographer as my boss have seen my equipment before.

I told my boss that I cannot just do it for free because I set myself a standard that I must maintain (within my limited experience)when involving photography. I know I will spend at least 2-3 nights after work till late going through the photos and my wife will definitely be very unhappy. So I was very firm and told him unless the company is willing to compensate for the time after office hours editing the photos or give me time off to do it.

In the end he relented by giving me time off but I decided it is better not to do it at all and step down from the committee in case there are controversies.

So it depends very much on you and what stand you want to make. I made mine and decided it's better not to do it after all.

mm good.

I used to bring my camera and laptop for my company project too.. after shooting a few events and done some graphic, banners poster, website, videos etc... I told my boss tactfully that I going to sell all my Digital camera and lenses because I can't afford all the upgrading maintaining etc.. ... and will not bring my camera to work anymore, plus my home PC got virus etc... I tell him that it not really fair for me to use my own equipments if spoilt I still have to use my own money to repair... in the end my boss approve and bought a brand new DSLR with kit lense and a nice top range flash unit... plus a nice editing machine.. from there, I'm working happily with the equipments now... win win situation...

I think you have to have a nice talk with your boss...

Last edited:
I spent 6 figures in my last 13 yrs with the company...worth it or not? Well...I get to keep my job and hard for anyone to play politics with me. Camera gear? you got off lucky heheheh... if I show you my list of what I have spent you will faint. We talking computers and peripherals, audio visual equipment, video cameras, 35mm cameras from F3 to F5 to DSLRs, lots of lens and flashes (yes all in plural)....and that is just my design and IT dept. I have not gone into admin or management yet. And I can't recoup it all back.

But if it helps you keep the competitive edge over someone else in the company.....what do you think is fair or not fair? So should you? You should be careful as to how much to give before it becomes a "take for granted" situation. Knowing when you should stop or how much to "contribute" is very important. I think these days they call it "value added" just make sure you gain more value then you spent more value. But it can also go so far before it eats you up or you gain from it. And also how much of what other stuff you do, designing skill, will keep you viable? If someone is better at creative then you and also brings his/her own gear to let the company use..then you are out of luck. Keep it short run. Long run doing this kills...I should know.

Gee I thought I was the rare one suffering this heheheh...

Incidently if I resign...I need a small pickup to take my things home..if they are still working or not throw away from being worn out.

When I started my new job I had to bring in a table, a chair, a kettle, a bar of soap and some toilet papers. :bsmilie:

You are right, after all the shooting... editing of images at home can take away your precious family, girlfriends, wives, children, friends time... work life balance?

Let me offer another view. If this is an isolated case, just go and shoot. It will (hopefully) be reflected in your annual appraisal as projects you've done or covered.

If the requests by your boss continues, then perhaps you can let him know about your concerns. I feel if you approach him now, it might not be to your advantage in the long run.

dun think there is many owen chua in sg who is 27 this year... good luck if your boss is also a clubsnapper... lol...

i seriously don't mind boss to see this. then we can talk

ya.. 17-55 2.8 is critical~

ya.. 17-55 2.8 is critical~

Your boss may come back with this super lens: :bsmilie:

200mm-part4.jpg

i always tell others
" oh .. this camera is my dad one. i just borrow a day"

if they need my dad service
i hire an old man and take a commission :bsmilie:

Once when I started a job I asked boss when was the tea break?

Boss said, "We are not Ang Moh. We don't need tea break one." :)

liddat make sure CNY got big ang pao! :think:

When I started my new job I had to bring in a table, a chair, a kettle, a bar of soap and some toilet papers. :bsmilie:

You just don't know how closely that resemble me too!...I told you I did not talk about admin and management stuff. I have brought in those too ..Sigh...and people envy me heading so many dept.. only see the glam but not the shi**y side of it too hehehe....

is that a command prompt?
haha

:bsmilie: Same boat here.

At first my boss knew about my photography and asked me how much it'll cost to take photos for the company. I told him no extra charge during office hours... if he buys the equipment.

Gathered quotes from the shops and wrote a proposal, then he and my manager saw the amount and :bigeyes:

Then they ask me to use my own equipment, and quote them a good price. I told them my equipment is not suitable for the kind of shots they want and they still have to buy equipment that I don't have. They look at the price (the usual hourly rate they're paying me + costs and depreciation only) and :eek: also.

In the end, my manager told me no budget. Use company pns camera with no OT pay :rolleyes:

:bsmilie: Same boat here.

At first my boss knew about my photography and asked me how much it'll cost to take photos for the company. I told him no extra charge during office hours... if he buys the equipment.

Gathered quotes from the shops and wrote a proposal, then he and my manager saw the amount and :bigeyes:

Then they ask me to use my own equipment, and quote them a good price. I told them my equipment is not suitable for the kind of shots they want and they still have to buy equipment that I don't have. They look at the price (the usual hourly rate they're paying me + costs and depreciation only) and :eek: also.

In the end, my manager told me no budget. Use company pns camera with no OT pay :rolleyes:

LOL! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.