sigh!.. using own camera for company project

Status
Not open for further replies.

owen81chua

Sep 1, 2006
i'm working as designer, and had been helping company to take picture using my 300D and kit lens & 50mm, ;(

recently my camera had problem. and to upgrade it will cost me money.

per shutter is reduce the "health point" of our camera. everyone here would know this fact..

and i feel is it worth it to do these EXTRA job for company with our own equipment?
designer is suppose to design. not photographing, using our own investment.

everyone agree or not?

Well, why dont you bring this up to your superior?

i already bring this up. just looking for more "supporter" here. or to rationalise my thought :+

do not mix your hobby equipment with your work. if the company wants pictures, make them pay. if they want you to shoot, supply equipment.

and i feel is it worth it to do these EXTRA job for company with our own equipment?

Your point is whether should one use his/her own equipment for company work; whether a designer should just do just design work should therefore be taken out of this discussion to stay focus on your point.

If your talent, skills and expertise could contribute to the company business, then why not. The question is then should the company invest in a equipment so that you could contribute your value add. In my view the company should. Why not have a straight talk with your boss, recommend a good camera that would help you do the job better.

i already bring this up. just looking for more "supporter" here. or to rationalise my thought :+

It depends on whether it helps you in your area of work or not. For me as an engineer, I have my personal set of tools as well as company provided ones. Sometimes, I find using my own more convenient. Depends on where you want to draw the line between your job and your hobby. :)

Does it mean that if the company buys a camera, you can use it for some personal shots?

I always carry my personal P&S camera around and most of the time use it on work. To me, it is a value adding to my performance.

I think it really depends on what your scope of work is. As a designer perhaps its important to catalogue certain designs or results? I'm not in the industry so I wouldn't know. But even engineers need cameras, and even doctors to make records of conditions at a specific point in time. As what has been said previously, if using my own equipment can make me more valuable to my company I have no qualms about doing it, even if repairs, some extra expenditure is needed.

Companies also have budget and the such. You are certainly entitled to ask your boss to provide a company camera or even reimburse you for repairs if the fault happened because of company work. I'm not sure about your exact circumstances, but personally I wouldn't make noise unless I'm truly doing some heavy duty event work and such that require thousands of exposures or going into harsh environments.

But if your boss is forcing you to use your own cam to take company D&D, then you are certainly not obligated to, unless, you feel it makes you more "valuable" to the boss if you get what i mean.

No qualms here about using personal equipment. Possibly because my stuff are usually better than the cmopany's heh heh
But yeah for my design work, I find that I'm able to take my own shots which are better suited for the project than spend $$$ and time trawling for stock photography.
Can't speak for all but when I've got a creative idea in my mind, I need to be able express it. Being able to do so is my primary concern.
Just don't take that statement to the extreme - there will be compromises at times :)

i'm working as designer, and had been helping company to take picture using my 300D and kit lens & 50mm, ;(

recently my camera had problem. and to upgrade it will cost me money.

per shutter is reduce the "health point" of our camera. everyone here would know this fact..

everyone agree or not?
If this is a once off kind of assignment, I would not mind using my own equipment to help the company out. After all, you wouldn't want to company to buy the camera just to use it once. However, if this is a regular requirement, then I would ask the company to purchase the tools (camera, lenses, etc...) as this is part of the cost of doing business.

Now that you have problem with your camera, perhaps you can get a quote and ask the company to pay for the repair?

well let them know that they need to get a camera for "work" purpose. If not U cna always use yr P&S camera.

Maybe u can tell us how did u start helping yr company to take photographs for in the first place? Someone requested or u offered yrself?

Status
Not open for further replies.