*sigh* Lexar 1gb 80x with 20D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smurfie

Jan 6, 2005
I ran into the dreaded blank frames problem with the 20D and Lexar 1gb 80x. And it had to happen at an important shoot too(Tiger Beer Causeway Challenge, Penang).

Time to invest in Sandisk Extreme cards I guess?

*just needed to vent and trying it in the calmest way possible*

Smurfie said:
I ran into the dreaded blank frames problem with the 20D and Lexar 1gb 80x. And it had to happen at an important shoot too(Tiger Beer Causeway Challenge, Penang).

Time to invest in Sandisk Extreme cards I guess?

*just needed to vent and trying it in the calmest way possible*

Sad to hear that. :cry:

Anyway, this problem has already been reported, and both Canon and Lexar have already working on it. :think:

You didn't have any spare CF cards for such an important shoot?

When are free to join us for the outing? Drooling over your 200mm f1.8L lens. ;p

I only discovered I had a problem when in a very very rare occurrance, I happened to press the playback button to view an image. Due to my film habits, I rarely ever review the pictures I take immediately, so that playback button is hardly ever pressed.

Anyway, when I pressed the playback, I got a blank image. I thought the playback button wasn't working when I saw blank screen, till I pressed the info button and realized it was a blank frame, with the histogram packing the 0 contrast end. That was when I found I had a problem.

But that's not all. Thanks to mpenza's query, I went to check my archives, and found a lot of missing number sequences. eg. img_7205.cr2, img_7206.cr2 then img_7209.cr2. This shouldn't be the case, since I never review my photos to delete them from my camera, and thus should not skip. Anyway, I'm heading to KL to buy some Sandisk CF cards.

The 4 1gb 80x Lexar cards I have will be dedicated to my Ixus 400 now. :p

Habit to develop: Chimping

USM, I haven't forgotten. Will PM you when I return from Malaysia. :)

edit: My 20D did lockup a couple of times during the shoot too. Hmm!

May I suggest that if you were to buy Sandisk do buy the Sandisk Extreme III 2GB.

You just would need about two pieces and I'm sure that you would be very happy with its performance.

Alternatively, you might want to exchange the Lexar cards for the ones with the updated firmware. This might be one solution to your problem.

this problem already have a fix/rma for this., please go check lexar page (check the relevant discussion thread earlier on this topic)

it does not happen to ALL lexar cards, only those of a certain firmware version, you have to check your firmware checksum against those which have the problem before coming to this conclusion.

I've already done a check on my card, it doesn't need the new firmware update

check here.
http://store.lexar.com/firmware/

the problem also seems to exist on sandisk and others, in anycase, as long as the parties involved act responsibly to fix the issue (as they have), don't see why you should jump ship if things have mostly been working out..

(btw: I'm not a lexar fan per se. I also like sandisk, kingston and cosair.)

You *might* be able to recover the lost files using Lexar's software, forgot it's name. Give that a try since this was an important shoot for you.

how do u know there is lost frames? issit (1) black frame in between preview pics or (2) the serial numbers jump?

thanks

Vilya said:
how do u know there is lost frames? issit (1) black frame in between preview pics or (2) the serial numbers jump?

thanks

Two situations that happened in my case.

1. Blank frames. The file is there. But the whole image is just a blank black screen. The histogram is just 1 line on the dark end.
2. Skipped files. Checking my PD7x, I found jumps in the file numbering. Since I don't delete images from the camera, it should not skip. But checking it, I found some skips. eg. img_7205.cr2, img_7206.cr2 and then followed by img_7209.cr2 with 7207 and 7208 missing.

Hi Smurfie,

I notice you have a 20D and remark that you may use the Sandisk Extreme cards.

I was on the phone a couple of days back to the supplier of Sandisk cards and asked about the Extreme ones.

Apart from our store not qualifying ( :dunno: :dunno: ) I was also told there won't be any available in Australia for some time.

Whilst on the phone the guy asked me what camera I was going to use it in.
I replied I have a 20D and a D70 .... he said, "oh... those cameras won't benefit from the extreme cards".

Now maybe you can set me straight on this ????

I was asking about Extreme III.

Is this the same as the Extreme you mentioned or are there a number of different types of Samdisk Extreme cards (I II III ???).

I only have had dealings with the Ultra II

Cheers.

I have checked mine and realised that I need to update its firmware. Must to my suprise, I need to send it to China for a replacement/update. Can I do it locally through Convergent Systems?

hmmm...sadly...the lexar card that canon gave me during promotion also needs the firmware upgrade.

can anyone from convergent systems address to this problem? it doesn't make sense that the consumers need to bare the cost of sending the cards to (nearest) china for the replacement for RnD failure of lexar and canon.

So some cards are ok and wont have this problem? This problem dont happen when it is used in Nikons?

Smurfie said:
But checking it, I found some skips. eg. img_7205.cr2, img_7206.cr2 and then followed by img_7209.cr2 with 7207 and 7208 missing.

Pablo said:
Hi Smurfie,

I notice you have a 20D and remark that you may use the Sandisk Extreme cards.

Now maybe you can set me straight on this ????

I was asking about Extreme III.

I'm not sure about the Extreme III cards not benefitting the 20D. www.robgalbraith.com seems to say it does. The Extreme III is at the top of the benchmark when used with the 20D, so I would say the Extreme III looks mighty fine.

for those with lexar card problem, pls go to sim lim square #06-12 to request for RMA. however, due to the lacking in stock, convergent systems might not be able to replace your card immediately.

lexar buffer stock is expected to arrive (hopefully soon) so that affected customers can replace their card immediately.

stay tune to this thread http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=135836

Rapid drop in S/N ratio.

Anyway, I found the Sandisk Extreme III 2gb in Malaysia for RM920. 1gb Extreme III is at RM490. Anyone knows the price of these cards in Singapore?

Status
Not open for further replies.