Siem Reap / Angkor itineraries - 5,6 or 8 days ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

diver-hloc

Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Somewhere North
Hi..... sorry for more Angkor Wat / Siem Reap thread :sweat:

I'm planning for a trip to Angkor/Siem Reap mid Oct this year. Thinking that the Wet Season is nearly over and the forest should still be mostly green, the lake & moat fills..... and the added fact that few Japanese / Chinese tourist wouldn't pack the temple during what most would consider as still the Wet Season.

Most likely I would be flying by Jetstar from Changi.... since they only fly 3 days of the week.... I'm more or less struck with a 5 (Sun-Thur), 6 (Tue-Sun) or 8 (Sun-Sun) days trip.

My plan so far -

5 day trip
Day 1 - Arrive (6am local time). Look for rooms... tour Siem Reap (Market, Streets, Back Ally).
Day 2 - Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, Bayon, Phnom Bakheng, Ta Prohm...etc, incl 'Angkor Balloon' flight.
Day 3 - Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, Bayon, Phnom Bakheng, Ta Prohm...etc
Day 4 - Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, Bayon, Phnom Bakheng, Ta Prohm...etc
Day 5 - Return to S'pore (7:45am flight)

6 day trip
Day 1 - Arrive (6am local time). Look for rooms... tour Siem Reap (Market, Streets, Back Ally).
Day 2 - Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, Bayon, Phnom Bakheng, Ta Prohm...etc, incl 'Angkor Balloon' flight.
Day 5 - Beng Mealea (jungle temple) - 70km from Siem Reap.
Day 6 - Return to S'pore (7:45am flight)

8 day trip
Day 6 - Chong Kneas (Floating Village) - 11-15km from Siem Reap.
Day 7 - No Plan yet..... likely Relax/Shopping in Siem Reap.
Day 8 - Return to S'pore (7:45am flight)

Which ever plan I choose... the amount of leaves I need to take remain the same (5 days).... so, cost would be the only problem. I'm on a buget of around only $1K SGD.... with the flight costing already $238 SGD.... With only $750 SGD left, around $500 USD, my buget would be tight. Plan to take Tuk-tuk instead of cars to save cost and stay in guesthouse instead of Hotels.

Questions
* Which plan would you recommend (5-6-8 days) ??
* What other sights did I missed (but still can squeeze in) ??
* Since the flight back to S'pore is Siem Reap to Phnom Penh to S'pore.... do any one recommend a 1 day trip to Phnom Penh to see the Killing Fields, S21 prisons... etc. Before flying back to S'pore ??

Thxs for any Information or Suggestion or Recommendation...... :thumbsup:

:sweat:

I went last year and stayed at The Villa Siem Reap, and also booked packages with them to visit the temples and the stilted Village and Floating Village of Chong Kneas.

Check this out. http://www.thevillasiemreap.com/
You can consider the 5 nights package which cost only USD215 per pax... The food are not bad too... and within walking distance to the city centre...

5 days are more than enough to explore the floating villages and the temples.. I would suggest you stay 8 days in Cambodia 5 days in Siem Reap and 3 days in Phnom Penh...

I went last year and stayed at The Villa Siem Reap, and also booked packages with them to visit the temples and the stilted Village and Floating Village of Chong Kneas.

Check this out. http://www.thevillasiemreap.com/
You can consider the 5 nights package which cost only USD215 per pax... The food are not bad too... and within walking distance to the city centre...

5 days are more than enough to explore the floating villages and the temples.. I would suggest you stay 8 days in Cambodia 5 days in Siem Reap and 3 days in Phnom Penh...

Thxs for the link.... the 4/5 day package is really interesting..... price is reasonable too. :thumbsup:

So far.... my chose of acommedation is

Five Star Angkor Villa - Fan $10USD, A/C $16USD
Rithyrin Villa - Fan $10USD, A/C $15USD
Fresh Guesthouse - Fan $12USD, A/C $14USD

All have good location..... near the centre of the town (old market). Anyone stayed with them before ??

For your information...... Silkair ticket from S'pore to Siem Reap is selling for $198 including taxes..... just got mine tonight (15th July 2120hr.) Cheaper than Jetstar Asia with 15kg luggage. :thumbsup:

Guess you had fixed on the no of days.

Oct is the end of rainy season. Not too sure if the number of tourist will be lesser though.

A few of us will be leaving for AKW near mth. Watch out for thread from us. :)

Giantcanopy has a good thread on Cambodia. Read it if you haven't.

Guess you had fixed on the no of days.

Oct is the end of rainy season. Not too sure if the number of tourist will be lesser though.

A few of us will be leaving for AKW near mth. Watch out for thread from us. :)

Giantcanopy has a good thread on Cambodia. Read it if you haven't.

Thxs..... My date, plane ticket and even guesthouse have already been set.... now only maybe a friend would want to follow me. Will know by tomorr :sweat:

Hi..... sorry for more Angkor Wat / Siem Reap thread :sweat:

I'm planning for a trip to Angkor/Siem Reap mid Oct this year. Thinking that the Wet Season is nearly over and the forest should still be mostly green, the lake & moat fills..... and the added fact that few Japanese / Chinese tourist wouldn't pack the temple during what most would consider as still the Wet Season.

Most likely I would be flying by Jetstar from Changi.... since they only fly 3 days of the week.... I'm more or less struck with a 5 (Sun-Thur), 6 (Tue-Sun) or 8 (Sun-Sun) days trip.

My plan so far -

5 day trip
Day 5 - Return to S'pore (7:45am flight)

6 day trip
Day 6 - Return to S'pore (7:45am flight)

8 day trip
Day 6 - Chong Kneas (Floating Village) - 11-15km from Siem Reap.
Day 7 - No Plan yet..... likely Relax/Shopping in Siem Reap.
Day 8 - Return to S'pore (7:45am flight)

Which ever plan I choose... the amount of leaves I need to take remain the same (5 days).... so, cost would be the only problem. I'm on a buget of around only $1K SGD.... with the flight costing already $238 SGD.... With only $750 SGD left, around $500 USD, my buget would be tight. Plan to take Tuk-tuk instead of cars to save cost and stay in guesthouse instead of Hotels.

Questions
* Which plan would you recommend (5-6-8 days) ??
* What other sights did I missed (but still can squeeze in) ??
* Since the flight back to S'pore is Siem Reap to Phnom Penh to S'pore.... do any one recommend a 1 day trip to Phnom Penh to see the Killing Fields, S21 prisons... etc. Before flying back to S'pore ??

Thxs for any Information or Suggestion or Recommendation...... :thumbsup:

:sweat:

1. You can cover Ta Prohm temple in 4-5 hours. No need to go everyday ;p
2. Spend 2 full days in Angkor Wat to include sunset shots and baloon trip.
3. Roads are not in very good condition.So a half an hour journey in paper will end up as a 2 hr affair

if you go to too many temples.. everyone of them will look similar after a while.. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

if you go to too many temples.. everyone of them will look similar after a while.. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

I never went before, but someone told me about this too...
Understand you have got a great deal in flight.
Anyway, just my own opinion, I will just spend one whole day in the temples.

1. You can cover Ta Prohm temple in 4-5 hours. No need to go everyday
2. Spend 2 full days in Angkor Wat to include sunset shots and baloon trip.
3. Roads are not in very good condition.So a half an hour journey in paper will end up as a 2 hr affair

if you go to too many temples.. everyone of them will look similar after a while..

Yeah.... kind of having the same feeling :sweat::bsmilie:

No fear lah. Maybe buy the 3 day pass but go 2 day. Then spent one day at - Fishing community of Kompong Khleang visit - Tonle Sap ($60USD :sweat:) and/or half day tour on this Rural Walking Tour in the Cambodian Countryside ($25USD).....

Anyway.... since my friend is going.... I would have to discuss with him.... Buget buget buget :sweat:

Here's my suggestion, based on my experience last year :

Day 1 : Upon arrival, check in, and visit the minor attractions of SR. Visit Tonle Sap or hang out in Siem Reap. Visit the silkworm farm and markets. In the evening, go to Angkor and buy a ticket for the next 3 days. You have free access into Angkor after 5pm, so you can look at the Angkor sunset without using up your ticket (better double-check if this is still true).

Days 2 and 3 : visit the top Angkor temples. A good tour guide will be able to recommend them. I suggest a guide for the 2 days, because he/she can tell u the history of the temples, and point out which are safe to climb and which are dangerous. Don't climb blindly or you might fall and kill yourself. The cost of a guide is USD20-25 a day, and i think its worth it. I can recommend u the one I used last year, who was great. See at least 1 sunrise and 1 sunset at Angkor during this time. NOTE : Since you are going in the wet season, you might not be able to see a nice sunrise or sunset at Angkor. Your mileage will vary. Optionally, visit Angkor at night ( fees apply ) when it is lit up with flood-lights. Bring your tripod.

Day 4 : Grab a bus ( Mekong Express is recommended ) in the early morning (before 8am) for around USD10 or so, for a 6 hour ride to Pnomh Penh. Book the bus in advance. Your hotel can do it for u.

Day 5 : Visit S21 Torture Museum, and Ek Cheung Killing Fields. These are powerful places, and will probably be etched deeply in your mind as you wonder around imagining the horrors that occured here just 30+ years ago. Get a tour guide at S21 for a few dollars, and I bet he/she can tell u some touching stories about how Pol Pot's genocidal regime affected him/her personally and how he/she lost their loved ones. Most of them were just kids during that time and have lost parents, siblings or relatives during the reign of terror. I felt a strong and strange feeling while I was visiting these places. These would be the main (and good) reasons to visit PP.

Day 6. There aren't that many places else to visit in PP. There's the palace, Wats, and a rather lacklustre museum. Most attractions close during lunch (12-2) so you have to plan your visits carefully. I would visit the riverside (touristy, with lots of pubs and restaurants), take a river cruise for USD10, and chill out with a beer or a clean foot massage ( USD 6, very cheap ).

Day 7. Take a bus back to Siem Reap.

Day 8. Go home.

Alternatively, fly into SR, and fly out of PP back to Sg. That will save u 1 day of busride.

Other notes : Tuk tuks usually cost USD1-2. Since u are tourist, most likely it will be USD 2 for short rides. U can rent a tutuk the whole day to drive you around the city for around USD10. Rides to the temples cost more, around USD15? coz its further. If you add another USD10, u can get a car, which might be a good idea if it looks like it will rain. Ask the tour guide to negotiate the rental rates for u, coz they can get better rates then u. My apologies if my memory of the prices are incorrect.

Hotels are cheap. I stayed in the Angkor hotel in SR for about USD30 a nite, a 4 star establishment. I suggest u book a decent hotel over the net ( i used www.agoda.com ) rather then waste time looking for a suitable hotel when u get there.

Last edited:
Been to cambodia a few years back, personally I feel PP is not worth the travel time and cost . A 5 days Siem Reap tour is more than enough , dun miss out Ta Prom ! Nicer than Ankor Wat I feel :)

Thxs for the latest info..... yeah... not thinking of going to Phnom Penh anymore.... mainly because except S21 and The Killing Fields..... there isn't much more to see and do. Beside, heard that crime is quite bad at Phnom Penh compared to Siem Reap after dark..... snatch thief and more. :sweat:

I think I'll stay in Siem Reap and SLOWLY take my time (getting old, can't 'endure' simply discomfort nowadays.... 6-8hrs Bus Ride :sweat:).

Anyone tried the - Angkor Balloon or Morning/Sunset Elephant Ride ?? :think:

Just came back fr SR in May.
3day pass = USD40 (more than enuff)
7day pass = USD60 (overkill, haha)
moto-tuktuk/day = 10-15USD (sufficient for two person)
car/day = 25-30USD (can save cash if ur driver can be ur tour guide too, haha)
u can rent a bicycle but with the grand circuit = 26km, i think u should save the legs, haha

However, do note that the above rates are for to and fro Angkor Wat, if u're traveling to B.Srei or those outside the AW circuit, u have to bargain with the driver in advance. The makan ard AW sells identical food which is ard 4-7USD per meal (Rice+Dish+Coke) and some drivers might be particular abt driving u back to SR for lunch and back to AW again due to "fuel cost"

If u reach SR in the afternoon, u can go to AW after 5pm to see the free sunset (if it's cloudy then forget it) when u buy the 3day pass for next day but rem that tuktuk charges apply :)

SR is an expensive place but u can get some bargains at the night market which sells identical stuff so it's buyer's advantage! Tees are cheaper than bangkok.
Starting price is usually 1 for 3-4USD or 2 for 5-6USD. U can get it down to 2 for 4 and smile alot. haha

U can save cash by eating at the road stalls near the old market at night. food is ard 1USD for a plate of plain fried rice.
Unofficial exchange rates then was 1USD = 4000kip which is what the Cams will use when they dun have change in USD.

Lastly, expand all ur kips as much as possible before homing :)

Just came back fr SR in May.
3day pass = USD40 (more than enuff)
7day pass = USD60 (overkill, haha)
moto-tuktuk/day = 10-15USD (sufficient for two person)
car/day = 25-30USD (can save cash if ur driver can be ur tour guide too, haha)
u can rent a bicycle but with the grand circuit = 26km, i think u should save the legs, haha

However, do note that the above rates are for to and fro Angkor Wat, if u're traveling to B.Srei or those outside the AW circuit, u have to bargain with the driver in advance. The makan ard AW sells identical food which is ard 4-7USD per meal (Rice+Dish+Coke) and some drivers might be particular abt driving u back to SR for lunch and back to AW again due to "fuel cost"

If u reach SR in the afternoon, u can go to AW after 5pm to see the free sunset (if it's cloudy then forget it) when u buy the 3day pass for next day but rem that tuktuk charges apply :)

SR is an expensive place but u can get some bargains at the night market which sells identical stuff so it's buyer's advantage! Tees are cheaper than bangkok.
Starting price is usually 1 for 3-4USD or 2 for 5-6USD. U can get it down to 2 for 4 and smile alot. haha

U can save cash by eating at the road stalls near the old market at night. food is ard 1USD for a plate of plain fried rice.
Unofficial exchange rates then was 1USD = 4000kip which is what the Cams will use when they dun have change in USD.

Lastly, expand all ur kips as much as possible before homing :)

Thxs for the info..... a little surpise that Makan at AW cost so much.... $7USD is quite alot. :sweat:

3 days at AW is more than egh...order a tutu driver to drive u ard the whole day.
seriously i only spend 2 days at AW. twice to take sunrise/sunset. the temple looks the same to me. (for someone not really interested in temples)

why not take a bus to pohem phen. and feel some of their culture/war/history and fly back from there...cheers

3 days at AW is more than egh...order a tutu driver to drive u ard the whole day.
seriously i only spend 2 days at AW. twice to take sunrise/sunset. the temple looks the same to me. (for someone not really interested in temples)

why not take a bus to pohem phen. and feel some of their culture/war/history and fly back from there...cheers

2 reason..... Bus journey (don't think is Grasslands 24 seater type.... right) + extra cost......

hi dude,

we(my gf and i) will be going to SR & PP for total 11days...
mayb 6 or 7 days in SR...

might stay in SR for around 7 days +-... dun know yet...since PP hav nothing much...
when will u be travel there??

hi dude,

we(my gf and i) will be going to SR & PP for total 11days...
mayb 6 or 7 days in SR...

might stay in SR for around 7 days +-... dun know yet...since PP hav nothing much...
when will u be travel there??

Mid Oct...... hopfully Rain had stop or not a full day downpour...... :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.