sian fail ippt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eadwine

Jan 17, 2002
east side
Sian failed ippt now must go RT!!! arrgghhhhhh :cry: :cry: :cry:

which part u fail...maybe u can provide feedback so we can help u out ;-)

static all 5 points...
only 2.4....sigh
small lung cannot run....

Hope this helps.

My timing for 2.4 used to be quite terrible. Have been clocking 10:30 for donkey years. So I've been quite resigned to being one of the slowest (if not the slowest) runners in my clique of friends.

Abt a year ago, I started to frequent the treadmill at my company gym. I started running short distances (re: approx 3km) regularly. That is, every Mon, Wed and Fri.

From then on, I discovered my timings being cut by quite a bit. Though it's not as fast as I would like it to be but it has reached gold standards. You can imagine the surprise I had when I saw my time hit sub-10 the first time!

A good way to train will be to run frequently, rather than to run far each time as I used to think. And the age-old excuse of training 1 mth (or even lesser) before IPPT will not work haha You'll probably need about 2-3 mths to start your engines.

Keep this in mind if you want to hit your target: If it ain't painful, it ain't good training.

All the best for your next IPPT and enjoy your RT! :)

do regular jogging ... 2-3 times per week ...

i passed my IPPT test recently ... my timing is 11 min 1 sec ... this is my 9th incamp liao :what:

Originally posted by eadwine
Sian failed ippt now must go RT!!! arrgghhhhhh :cry: :cry: :cry:

the feeling is damn sian...i know how you feel bro! :(

my trick is to do short distances but at a relatively fast pace. after so many years of slow running at long distances, it's only allowed me to fit into my college pants but did nothing for 2.4 timing.

Essentially 2.4 is a lactic endurance event. Think about it, the distance is just beyond what we would call short but not exactly what we would call long either. And the passing times don't allow us to jog leisurely yet we don't need blinding speed to pass. It's what I'd call the sian 1/2 distance.

Anyway my method of passing is to stretch out the training between 6 to 8 weeks but you must do it religiously or it won't work. I start week one with 3 rounds around the track. Let's say you're aiming for 12:00, which is reasonable to pass, then you'd do 2 min/rd for 3 rounds, rest a few minutes, then run again at the same pace. Usually I do 3 sets of this, then end off with a 1-round all out sprint.

Do this for 2 weeks (i.e 6 sessions), then increase to 4 rounds but keep the timing to 2 min/rd. so within 6 weeks, that should bring you up to 6 rounds at 2 min/rd, plus with all the 1-round sprints you've been doing, you can run well under 12-mins.

Try it man, it works. Anyway the 1st session of RT is IPPT I think, if you pass it, you release from RT straight away

andrew

Just my 2 cents worth:

Run short distance at a fast pace (not slow jog). maybe start off with 1 km for a week with fast constant pace, then proceed to 1.5 km then 2 km.

If you like other ppl, run 5 km jogging thinking that it will improve yout timing, you are wrong.... some ppl can run 5 km, but fail 2.4km, long distance will only increase your endurance and NOT much on your speed.

But in IPPT, it is a different story.. your speed count!!!

Do not train last min... train at least 3 month in advance!!!;)

Lastly... cut down on your diet:D

Good luck

*taking down notes*
waaaah.....seems like it all boils down to training regularly..

I WILL!!!! I WILL!!!

Originally posted by eadwine

waaaah.....seems like it all boils down to training regularly..

yes...that applies to most pple...but not me :D

dun learn from me hor....i never exercise for 364 days a year except the day when i need to take IPPT

still manage to get $200 for the last 3 years

Originally posted by Wai

dun learn from me hor....i never exercise for 364 days a year except the day when i need to take IPPT

SBHL!
/me kick wai :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

the last time i tackle 2.4 and just barely make it. In fact, nearly make it to heaven too...haha. The medic tot I kenna heat stroke

Originally posted by Wai

Wah.. you got special formula or not??? share leh??

(1) start off with long runs to improve stamina until u can do at least 6km anytime, anywhere on demand. best is to reach minimum 10km

(2)with improved stamina then training for speed is easier. anytype of speed work will do; the key is build stamina 1st b4 u even think of doing speedwork

when u can do 10km then 2.4 is simpleminded: just chiong all the way, full steam no think

Originally posted by clive
(1) start off with long runs to improve stamina until u can do at least 6km anytime, anywhere on demand. best is to reach minimum 10km

(2)with improved stamina then training for speed is easier. anytype of speed work will do; the key is build stamina 1st b4 u even think of doing speedwork

when u can do 10km then 2.4 is simpleminded: just chiong all the way, full steam no think

:eek: :eek: :eek:

not for pple like me........i think i black out as usual

You could also try to improve stamina by walking up 11 storeys of HDB flat instead of taking lift. Do it at a reasonably good pace but don't kill yourself.
Like you I've failed IPPT b4. I did the walk for about a month, twice everyday and I passed the retest.

Anyway, even if you have to go to RT, do take heart. Just do your best but don't push yourself too much. What can they do --- shoot you?? Certainly not.

I've been to RT twice.

Hope this helps

Do interval training, run fast 400 m then jog 400m until u complete at least 2.4km. In this method, u run both fast and slow (speed and endurance). U shld be increasing your speed and distance as u run.

U shld also target to improve your overall physical fitness and not just running alone, try to incorporate swimming and cycling in your exercise regime. Even better, pack your camera guy plus yr tripod to run in combat boots!

For more on health and fitness, the serious good stuff to read are:

Menhealth - US and UK version
Mensfitness - US and UK version.

These mag are available online (but I think u can only read selectively) or u can go to Borders, Times and Kino to read the entire mag! I find them very useful and the research is done by some serious pple.

Originally posted by jimtong
Just my 2 cents worth:

Run short distance at a fast pace (not slow jog). maybe start off with 1 km for a week with fast constant pace, then proceed to 1.5 km then 2 km.

If you like other ppl, run 5 km jogging thinking that it will improve yout timing, you are wrong.... some ppl can run 5 km, but fail 2.4km, long distance will only increase your endurance and NOT much on your speed.

But in IPPT, it is a different story.. your speed count!!!

Do not train last min... train at least 3 month in advance!!!;)

Lastly... cut down on your diet:D

Good luck

Hmm... but running long distance seem to work for me... When I start training/running long distance, 2.4 become quite easy, as far as I can remember. Hard to imagine one who can run 5km(non-stop) but fail 2.4km. Actually if u just jog at a moderate fast pace WITHOUT slowing/stopping can easily pass 2.4 ... My biggest problem for IPPT has always been my pull-ups though...

Status
Not open for further replies.