Shutter speed question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paladin

Jan 18, 2002
SGP
Visit site
Hi,

This morning I was trying to take some shots indoors with my EOS300 and 420EX but in AV mode, the shutter speed is at 1/10...can anyone tell me why is the speed that low with flash on? THought it should be at least at flash sync??

Not sure about EOS 300, but for D30, flash in Av and Tv mode is only FILL FLASH ie it meters off the ambient light.

If you want a faster shutter speed, best way is to go manual. That way the flash will output more power to provide enough light for your exposure.

oh, yet another difference between Nikon and Canon's flash systems :)

Nikon can do both slow synch or flash synch in Av and Tv mode. For my F70+SB-26 combo, I shortcut the F70 navigation menu by using the normal/rear switch on the SB-26 (since rear synch flash switches to slow synch mode, while normal defaults to flash synch unless overriden by camera body)

Originally posted by StreetShooter
Not sure about EOS 300, but for D30, flash in Av and Tv mode is only FILL FLASH ie it meters off the ambient light.

If you want a faster shutter speed, best way is to go manual. That way the flash will output more power to provide enough light for your exposure.

Originally posted by erwinx
oh, yet another difference between Nikon and Canon's flash systems :)

Nikon can do both slow synch or flash synch in Av and Tv mode. For my F70+SB-26 combo, I shortcut the F70 navigation menu by using the normal/rear switch on the SB-26 (since rear synch flash switches to slow synch mode, while normal defaults to flash synch unless overriden by camera body)

And on Nikon systems, in the Av mode, the flash will automatically set the camera to the flash sync speed (e.g. 1/250) unless you explicitly ask for slow sync/rear curtain sync. But when I am shooting indoors with flash, I use manual.

Regards
CK

Hi,
Am lost here.. hee.. Manual on camera or Flash?Thanks.

Matt

Not sure about Canon system, but on my Nikon, I've wasted quite a bit when I don't fully push the flash into the socket. It looks like its gone in, but its actually a teeny weeny bit out. And it results in low shutter speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.