shutter speed question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ytbryan

Oct 9, 2008
hi all,

the rule of thumb for hand holding:
given a focal length used(eg. 50mm lens), the minimum hand holding shutter speed should be 1/focal length(in this case 1/50)?

may i ask what does the above mean?

does it mean that if i have a 18 - 135mm lens then if i want to use shutter speed of 1/200 and beyond, i cannot hold on my hand?

thanks.

I found it here.

it actually means to prevent taking a blurred image, u shld hav the shutter speed at 1/focal length..

which is actually like if u're using the 135mm length of ur lens, at least hav the shutter speed at 1/135s, 1/200s is even better as its faster

but of course take note of the cropped factor in the lens too..

hi all,

may i ask what does the above mean?

does it mean that if i have a 18 - 135mm lens then if i want to use shutter speed of 1/200 and beyond, i cannot hold on my hand?

thanks.

I found it here.

Hi hi ,

Its just a rule of thumb to arrive at a shutter speed settings that reduces blurry pictures due to camera shake , to minimum.

The faster the shutter speed , the higher tolerance for camera shake . Hence to answer your question , if you shoot at 1/200 and beyond your shots will get less blurry as the shutter opens and close at such a fast speed so as to capture the image , the result normally is a picture showing all motions to be freezed.

COnversely , if you shoot at slower shutter speed , your shots will be affected by camera shake. I think generally most pple will have trouble getting a very sharp picture from 1/15 and below , however , everyone has diff pair of hands ,hence , they have different levels of stability. Camera blur will be evident when you blow up your picture . Alot of times we see that a pic is clear on the DSLR lCD , but when we go back to load it up to the pc , we might be surprised to see blurry double images.

But of course the 1/ focal length rule is one of the many rule of thumbs . So far we have been ignoring exposure when we talk abt 1/focal length rule . Practically, the shutter speed you want will depend on exposure as well as the effects you want your picture to have. So , its not really a must to shoot at 1/focal length. Normally if we have to shoot at slow shutter speeds that will induce camera shake , we will use a tripod , if dun have tripod , then we will either have to tweak ISO and aperture , to allow us to shoot at higher speed , or find some support to stablise the camera .

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.