Shutter speed for racing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjory

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
What is a good shutter speed to use for relatively fast moving objects.

I was taking photos for a Go Kart racing for my company event. I tried with various shutter speed. At some point being curious, I set the shutter speed to 1/2000 and the whole preview screen turn black. Do it mean I can't take at that speed or is there anything I need to set? Like exposure or something?

The racing is under bright sunlight.

Camera used is a Canon S3IS

I was taking photos for a Go Kart racing for my company event. I tried with various shutter speed. At some point being curious, I set the shutter speed to 1/2000 and the whole preview screen turn black. Do it mean I can't take at that speed or is there anything I need to set? Like exposure or something?

If it turns black, it could be under-exposed. You may need a larger aperture to be used in conjunction with such a high shutter speed and the camera is limited.

1/2000 is way too fast already. (presuming that you zoomed in with a iso of 100)
Was shooting at 1/200 or lesser during a recent trip to Perma Jaya (go kart) with iso 160, F2.8-5.6, EV +1 (Sun was overhead, so wanted to expose the face a bit more)

Huh..1/2000 whole screen turn black? Which mode are using? Manual mode? Are u using flash?

Try this:
Mode: Sutter priority (Tv)
Metering: Evaluative
Focus: 1 point AF center - Continuous AF
ISO: Start with lowest 80
Shutter Speed: 1/125
Shoot Mode: Continuous shooting (hi-speed)

1. use center point focus to focus on incoming subject
2. half press shutter for focusing
3. frame subject in lcd or view finder
4. pan camera to maintain subject in frame
5. squeeze off shutter
6. check exposure
6a. underexpose - increase ISO
6b. overexpose - check aperture shot taken, if it's at f8.0, then u will need ND filters, or u may want to try shutter speed of 1/200 (higher shutter speed lesser background blur)
7. for a blurer background use slower shutter

Try at ur own risk..:sweatsm:

Thanks all.

Was trying out the shutter speed, thats why push it up to 1/2000 and see how fast it can capture.

Will take the advice and see if it works for me. :)

well, you can use 1/500 or 1/1000 depending on your aperture. i advise you dont put the aperture big, if not it is easy to get out of focus. maybe go f5.6 or something.

Just switch your S3IS to "sports mode".

A lil panning will be nice if done correctly :)

hello,

maybe u can take at look at some of my shots here http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=317096

most of them are shot at 1/160 F7.1 ISO 80.

thank you.

jay the killer

My take for CNKC2007

Only adjust levels, saturation, USM, watermark and resize.
Shutter priority. ISO 100. Shutter speed 1/80~1/60

87061405.jpg

87061561.jpg

87061597.jpg

My take for CNKC2007

Only adjust levels, saturation, USM, watermark and resize.
Shutter priority. ISO 100. Shutter speed 1/80~1/60

87061597.jpg

bro,

very nice. very very sharp. :thumbsup:

may i ask what is the aperture and equipmet used?

thank you in advance.

jay the newbie

bro,

thank you in advance.

jay the newbie

Thank you!

Camera: S5Pro
Lens: 70-200 VR
ISO: 100
Mode: Shutter Priority
Exposure mode: Matrix
Focus: AF-Continuous
Shutter Speed: #1:1/80, #2:1/60, #3:1/60
Aperture: #1:f8, #2:f9, #3:f9

bro,

thank you in advance.

jay the newbie

Hi Killer_Jay, panning technique, IMO, is relying more on the person holding the camera rather than equipment. :)

Wah! Good panning technique, Bro. :thumbsup:

Thank you! :)

Hi Killer_Jay, panning technique, IMO, is relying more on the person holding the camera rather than equipment. :)

Yes, u r right..when i first started out shooting panning shots some years back, my hit rate was pretty bad..oni manage abt 20 out of 200:bsmilie:..even till date, i do still miss have misses:sweat:..

There is no one shutter speed that is the right one.

The key with sports, particularly motor sport is to show movement. If the shutter speed is too fast then you completely freeze motion and the cars (or bikes, or planes, etc) look like their standing still = boring.

To show movement for motor sport the best, as has already been stated is panning, but it takes a lot of practice (easy and cheap with digital) and actually requires quite slow shutter speeds (the other key element is a colourful background). The catch to panning is that it is less effective on corners, because of the change in point of focus (although slower shutter speeds also means higher apertures (greater depth of field - although this may not be enough if using long lenses close to the subject).

The other way to show motion in sport is to show the movement of the moving parts, i.e. in motor sport that would be blurring the wheels. The shutter speed required is different not only from go-karts to formula 1 but also from track position to track position, e.g. slower shutter speeds on corners, faster on the straight.

I can say from experience that 1/2000 is way too fast. Shooting the F1 earlier this year at Sepang near the top of the home straight 1/1000 was just slow enough to blur the writing on the wheels, faster and cars look like their standing still.

With digi cam you have instant feedback so use it. If the writing on the wheels is not blurred then slow the shutter speed. Keep adjusting till you have it right (watch the background with higher apertures because you lose the separation between subject and background (another desirable for sport in general).....

Difficult to use tripod in such situations la... usually monopod or handheld for this.

Yes, u r right..when i first started out shooting panning shots some years back, my hit rate was pretty bad..oni manage abt 20 out of 200:bsmilie:..even till date, i do still miss have misses:sweat:..

hi bro canew & blazer_workz,

errr.... i am very very very new to photography. i did read that panning shot are very much depends on the shooter.

but hor, when i tried with my S3 IS at 1/100, F8.0, ISO80, it is over exposed liao. below is the 1 of them, the helmet and the sleeve is so much over exposed. and the jeans also. :(

img1665hj2.jpg

the image is with zero PP, just resize at the photo hosting site nia.

thats why i tot bro blazer_workz's panning shot was taken with a smaller aperture...... but not leh.....

jay the confused

Status
Not open for further replies.