shutter speed and iso.

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all.
i'm jus a noob here.:D
could somehow explain how to get brighter picture when i use shutter speed that are faster?
mayb about 1/160? i often get picture that is quite dark. is there something that i can do other
then increasing my iso or using flash? i think a good example of situation would be night racing?

my picture often seem to have lots of noise when i set the iso to 1600.

i m currently using canon 400d.

thanks.
regards
jason.

use a faster lens? :)

if u gonna shoot at night, its either ISO, flash or aperture. not to mention tripod if u want sharp pics at low shutter speed.

hi all.
could somehow explain how to get brighter picture when i use shutter speed that are faster?
mayb about 1/160? i often get picture that is quite dark. is there something that i can do other
then increasing my iso or using flash? i think a good example of situation would be night racing?

thanks.
regards
jason.

try using a lens with bigger aperture..i.e. f/2.8, f/1.8, f/1.4, f1.2..
but this is not a sure work method..it really depends on how dark or bright the environment is..and for racing, i think flashing the contestants not really advisable, and may not be allowed in some sports..

1 alternative is u might want to try panning shots which allows u to use a not so fast shutter speed..and can oso see motion blur of the background which tells that the subject is moving..

faster lens will be the answer.. i dun like high ISOs also.. but sometimes can't avoid it.. haha.. (like a lesson learnt recently).. a competition between a dark and underexposed shot vs blurry shot vs noisy shot.. -.-

faster lens are generally more expensive though.. other than the more affordable primes like 50mm f/1.8..

if you want to capture some motion.. google / read up on "panning".. will be very useful for your "night races"..

hi all.

thanks.
regards
jason.

Try shooting in the daytime. This is how bright it's gonna be for the F1 races. And you'll get much better speeds with a lower ISO setting as well. But note that the shutter speed, ISO and aperture are all interlinked. They affect one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.