Shutter speed and aperture

putput

Jun 4, 2011
I understand how shutter speed and aperture works. Just Curious why some people intend to have aperture F8 and slower shutter speed rather den F2.8 and faster shutter speed. Are there any difference?

A slower shutter speed is used on a smaller aperture because the shutter needs to open longer for more light to come in through a smaller aperture

For a faster shutter speed, since the aperture is now bigger, the shutter does not require to stay open as long as compared to a smaller shutter.

For a bigger aperture, usually there will be more subject isolation and lesser when the aperture is smaller.

I understand how shutter speed and aperture works. Just Curious why some people intend to have aperture F8 and slower shutter speed rather den F2.8 and faster shutter speed. Are there any difference?

if you asking if there's a diff. then you don really understand how it works.

My first question back at you, is to ask you how they work.

Why do people use F/8, there is a difference betwen F/2.8 and F/8, that's the possible reason, assuming they know what they are doing. What is this difference?

If you don't know, then you don't really understand how these two parameters work. :)

Don't know about others, but I personally like to use f8 during scenic outdoor portrait shoots. Reasons:
1)Most lenses are very sharp at f8
2)when I choose a very beautiful background, I want it to appear sharp in the photo. Using F2.8 will give me background blur, that defeats the purpose of having a nice background.

A nice portrait doesn't always have to be sharp subject and blur background

Last edited:

Agree with others. If you don't know how f8 and f2.8 affect the picture differently then you do not understand how aperture works;)

May I suggest some reading material, like the newbies guides to photography?

hi, am newbie also. i believed it will affect the DOF based on the diff aperture. Pls correct me if i am wrong.

hi, am newbie also. i believed it will affect the DOF based on the diff aperture. Pls correct me if i am wrong.

Yes u are correct, DOF will be affected by aperture size.

basically, the smaller the aperture, the sharper will be your picture. Everything in your picture will be sharper if you use a small aperture with compare to a bigger aperture.

take for example, if you want to capture the emotion or the face of people in a crowd, like during a soccer match, chances you are likely to use smaller aperture, like f22, so everyone face can see clearly.

If you just want to shoot only 1 or group picture, using a bigger aperture will result in a shallower DOF and make the object more outstanding.

Last edited:
putput said:

They suang lor. :bsmilie:

lcheowl said:
basically, the smaller the aperture, the sharper will be your picture. Everything in your picture will be sharper if you use a small aperture with compare to a bigger aperture.

take for example, if you want to capture the emotion or the face of people in a crowd, like during a soccer match, chances you are likely to use smaller aperture, like f22, so everyone face can see clearly.

If you just want to shoot only 1 or group picture, using a bigger aperture will result in a shallower DOF and make the object more outstanding.

Just a little correction, the sentence "the smaller the aperture, the sharper will be your picture" is incorrect. Wider aperture does not mean that your picture and subject will not be sharp. You should discuss more on DOF and out of focus areas. Using sentences like smaller aperture = sharper image will only confuse the TS.

In terms of absolute light coming in it is the same. But (undoubtedly) taking pictures is a bit more than just collecting the right amount of Photons on the sensor.
Some hints: Depth of Field when using f/2.8 and f/8. Image a moving object taken with a slow and a fast shutter speed... just a few pointers, do read up more and do resist the idea that there is a magic formula to be used for each and every situation, location, light...

Just a little correction, the sentence "the smaller the aperture, the sharper will be your picture" is incorrect. Wider aperture does not mean that your picture and subject will not be sharp. You should discuss more on DOF and out of focus areas. Using sentences like smaller aperture = sharper image will only confuse the TS.

yup you are right, Actually I'm trying to say at f22, everything, front ground and back ground will be as sharp as the object.

the bigger the aperture, the sharpness for the background and front ground decrease, making the object appear more sharp.

TS can take a look at this table

http://www.dofmaster.com/doftable.html

:)

My first question back at you, is to ask you how they work.

Why do people use F/8, there is a difference betwen F/2.8 and F/8, that's the possible reason, assuming they know what they are doing. What is this difference?

If you don't know, then you don't really understand how these two parameters work. :)

ups on this. knowing what u want, the other settings adapt to the effect u want...

yup you are right, Actually I'm trying to say at f22, everything, front ground and back ground will be as sharp as the object.

the bigger the aperture, the sharpness for the background and front ground decrease, making the object appear more sharp.

TS can take a look at this table

http://www.dofmaster.com/doftable.html

not really... f22 u might get small aperture diffraction

Well, based on what you had asked...it shows that you've yet really understand...:)

Fyi and imho, please re-read up more or again on the "above" topic/s...!!;)

perhaps TS mention he knows how the shutter speed and aperture works is whlie making an exposure, the shutter speed will open when it starts and close when it ends, and the aperture close down when it starts and open up when it ends.....

not what are the difference of effects between the different length of shutter speeds and sizes of aperture.

Because at F8 my orange is sharp and at F2.8 orange is blur.

F8

DSC08557.jpg

F2.8

DSC08555-1.jpg

I like F2.8 because it got rid of the untidy background.

DSC00033-1.jpg