Shutter Lag..

Status
Not open for further replies.

glennyong

May 2, 2004
Singapore
Hey guys, does the d100 and D70 has the shutter lag ? erm.. i was wondering since D2h and D1x and the D1 series doesnt have this lag as they mentioned, so if D100 and D70.. do they haf a lag time for shutter release ? and what is the time and comparison between D100 and D70 ?

Thay ALL have lag. I know the D2h is fastest, am fairly convinced the D1 is next, I believe the D70 is on a par with the D1x/h roughly, and the D100 is last.

Jed said:
Thay ALL have lag. I know the D2h is fastest, am fairly convinced the D1 is next, I believe the D70 is on a par with the D1x/h roughly, and the D100 is last.

which means that D100 has the longest shutter release ???

glennyong said:
which means that D100 has the longest shutter release ???

you got it right the first time. its shutter lag
in case you got it mixed up with something else, shutter lag is the interval period between the moment you press the button till the shutter starts moving

Jed said:

the D100 is so lousy in this area?

showtime said:
the D100 is so lousy in this area?

Having the longest shutter lag amogst the Nikon DSLR does not make it lousy. It will still be much better than most prosumer digicams.

Not necessarily lousy, just last in that list. It's faster than a 300D, about on par with a 10D, and lightyears faster than any consumer non-SLR digital camera out there.

Jed said:
Not necessarily lousy, just last in that list. It's faster than a 300D, about on par with a 10D, and lightyears faster than any consumer non-SLR digital camera out there.
Lightyears? You mean 0.7 secs right?

LiOnElLiN said:
you got it right the first time. its shutter lag
in case you got it mixed up with something else, shutter lag is the interval period between the moment you press the button till the shutter starts moving

there're actually a few timings. some depend on the lens used, i.e. autofocus, while others is the lag due to the camera.

Imaging resource did some test and got the following results for the D70.
Lens dependent:
Shutter lag, full autofocus (no flash) 0.342-0.486s with kit lens

Non-lens dependent:
Shutter lag, manual focus 0.155s
Shutter lag, prefocus 0.124s

Comparison with other cameras' timings (D100/300D):
Shutter lag, full autofocus (no flash) 0.15s with 24-85/0.25-0.278 with 18-55 kit
Shutter lag, manual focus 0.1/0.248s
Shutter lag, prefocus 0.1/0.142s

From the tests, D70 seems slower than the D100 in terms shutter lag. The D70's AF-S kit lens slows down the full autofocus shutter lag compared to the 300D's timing with non-USM kit lens, but the manual and prefocus lags are much faster.

Minoxman said:
Lightyears? You mean 0.7 secs right?

Exactly. 0.7 secs is lightyears in camera terms. For instance, you can miss 699 frames at 1/1000s each before you take your first frame.

Common Minoxman, surely you can do better than that, or are you short on Cash at the moment?

Incidentally, it's generally not as bad as 0.7 secs.

The above timings I listed all pale when compared to a pro camera like D2H (0.049 with 12-24/0.046/0.045) or 1Ds (0.093 with 28-70L/0.083/0.059). no timings for 1DMkII yet.

Mpenza's got the timings, I might well be wrong on the D70 then. I did say "I believe" and evidently I believe wrong. I know the D2h, D1x/h, D1 and D100 comparisons are correct in relation to each other.

Jed said:
Exactly. 0.7 secs is lightyears in camera terms. For instance, you can miss 699 frames at 1/1000s each before you take your first frame.

Common Minoxman, surely you can do better than that, or are you short on Cash at the moment?

Incidentally, it's generally not as bad as 0.7 secs.
Show me a camera that can take 700 shots in 0.7 secs, even at 1/2000th per frame. Don't confuse the crowd. :)

erm....the opp of "can miss 699" (potential) "frames" doesn't mean can take all the 699 shots. if you're on the mark, just one of the 699 is enough to nail the shot.

Jed said:

i thank all who have commented about my post about the D100 being lousy in that area... i will have to elaborate that i meant lousy in comparison to all the other nikon DSLRs... it certainly is not lousy... i love the D100...

one thing about shutter lag... i notice that there have been times posted for the shutter lag and these apparently include the AF times thus depend on the lens used etc...

shouldnt the shutter lag be measured from the time the shutter release is finally depressed after focusing? if this were the case, how does the lens used affect the measurement of shutter lag?

showtime said:
shouldnt the shutter lag be measured from the time the shutter release is finally depressed after focusing?

This is indicated by the timings for manual focus and prefocus measured by Imaging Resource. I'm not sure if there's an industry wide concensus on shutter lag. Manufacturers usually just give one timing if I'm not wrong.

showtime said:
if this were the case, how does the lens used affect the measurement of shutter lag?

As explained. However, "autofocus lag" is important when you want to seize an opportunity that comes by and you did not have the luxury of pre or manual focussing.

Shutter lag, full autofocus (no flash) 0.15s with 24-85/0.25-0.278 with 18-55 kit

so these measurements for shutter lag is actually the total lag time from autofocusing to firiing the final shot...

thats such a misleading piece of information because it leads me to think that if one is using af or mf, the shutter lag is different.... it is not different. only the delay caused by the af is contributing to the additional time.

showtime said:

so these measurements for shutter lag is actually the total lag time from autofocusing to firiing the final shot...

thats such a misleading piece of information because it leads me to think that if one is using af or mf, the shutter lag is different.... it is not different. only the delay caused by the af is contributing to the additional time.

Only the first timing entry (eg 0.15s with 24-85/0.25-0.278 with 18-55 kit) is lens dependant.

These two timings do not depend on the af

eg.

Status
Not open for further replies.