Shutter count

G

Graton

hi all i am using a eos 550D would like to know how to check my shutter count and ard how much will it fail i googled and search in the forums but did not get any results so hoping to get some info from seniors here

Thanks in advance

Just enough shooting don't worry about shutter count or it will only restrict you from taking shoots and hinder your progress in photography :eek:)

Let's assume your shutter has a life span of 100,000. Based on 100 shots/day, it can last for 1000 days, close to 3 years. But the thing is whether you do shoot 100 shots every day.

The numbers also not very accurate. It can fail before or after the life span. :)

Not sure how long can it last... But if you want to know the shuttle count, just press the switch (bottom right of LCD screen) to preview the photo. Then press "DISP" (the button beside "MENU") until it show the shutter count...

hi all i am using a eos 550D would like to know how to check my shutter count and ard how much will it fail i googled and search in the forums but did not get any results so hoping to get some info from seniors here

Thanks in advance

Even here on CS, a search for "canon shutter count" returns many results. On google even more.

I don't think you were really looking.

Thanks in advance
worry less and shoot more :D

if it fails, it fails. Just get it replaced.
You don't watch TV and worry about when the backlight will fail, do you?
Same goes for car tyres, etc.

ohh ya i was fiddling my camera in school today until i came home and upload the picture i found that behind the name of the image was 1000 is that the shutter count as it seem to increase one by one for each picture

No point worrying bout these unnecessary things and start shooting more. haha. shutters can last for very long unless u're really unlucky.. just shoot dun worry =]

ohh ya i was fiddling my camera in school today until i came home and upload the picture i found that behind the name of the image was 1000 is that the shutter count as it seem to increase one by one for each picture

No, it's purely a sequence number. Do not mistake this for shutter count. Just think logically: what would happen after 9999 images taken with a 4 digit sequence number? It goes to 0001. How could that reflect shutter count?
Read your manual, the logic of the sequence numbers is explained. There is a Custom Function to influence the camera's behavior.

You can use 'exiftool' to check your shutter count. It basically displays the entire exif info of an image, and you can scroll through the data to find out your shutter count. Just drag the last picture you have taken and drop it onto the program, and it will list out the exif infromation. :)

ohh thanks is there any software for me to look or find?

Google 'exiftool' and it should give you a link to download the program. ;)

It's pretty useful, esp. if you buy a 2nd-hand camera and need to determine the shutter count.

thanks all antoher question i will be going to korea can i buy lens and flash there?Canon And Samyang

thanks all antoher question i will be going to korea can i buy lens and flash there?Canon And Samyang
How is this related to shutter count? :) One topic per thread helps to keep things organized and those you browse existing threads will find the answers easily (*hint*).
Upper right hand there is a Search function. Hope your are not going to Kim's funky dynasty when referring to 'Korea' :bsmilie:

i searched but the threads are all unrelated i will open another thread again soon

Scintillation said:
Google 'exiftool' and it should give you a link to download the program. ;)

It's pretty useful, esp. if you buy a 2nd-hand camera and need to determine the shutter count.

Everyone should download some kind of exif tool to check exif info including shutter counter. I returned my "new" D300s to authorized nikon retailer after checking the shutter count was not 0. Believe it to be a demo set sold to me as new "by mistake" - give them a benefit of doubt.

Ted888 said:
Everyone should download some kind of exif tool to check exif info including shutter counter. I returned my "new" D300s to authorized nikon retailer after checking the shutter count was not 0. Believe it to be a demo set sold to me as new "by mistake" - give them a benefit of doubt.

Unless the shutter count was like few hundred or something, it shouldn't be a big deal that it's not zero. What was the shutter count anyway?

I notice that many ppl tend to think of a camera's shutter count like a car's mileage... I don't think it's appropriate to think that way.

i just downloaded the exiftool but no use cannot see any more software u guys recommend?